Firmware Update on the Phenoix released

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
The Pheonix just got a firmware up date today to 2.2.2 don't know if the Thrive has it too but being that there clones it shouldn't be much longer before you see it if it isn't already there. Don't know what it does yet but I will keep you posted if I notice any changes.

kingv10

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
How did you download? I tried software update from phone but the "checking on the server if there is..." goes on forever.

sd_matto

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I tried downloading, it downloaded, and then said "Bad file" (or something like that). Not sure if it is actually a bad file, or if the installer first checked to see if my Phoenix is rooted (which it is), and then failed to install. When I tried downloading again, it said that I needed to wait 24 hours. Grrrrr.

Anyone download this successfully? And, what are the benefits of 2.2.2?

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I had no issues with the download seemed to go off without a hitch for me took about 15-20 mins to download and install. All I did was go to the settings>about phone>software update and it did the rest no special magic or slight of hand. As far as I can tell there are no improvements or changes that you will see. I was snooping around and found some things that seem to indicate that it might be a patch to improve battery life, performance and close some security holes but nothing concrete. If anyone has anything certain let us all know. As to the endless download and the bad download you may just be getting a really slow server at the moment. Also it does download over the air not over WiFi so if your not in a 3G area or have crappy service where your at try the download somewhere else. The file was about 5.6mb so it shouldn't take all that long to download. Once downloaded the phone will install it and it will restart several times during the install.

giandeli

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I tried downloading, it downloaded, and then said "Bad file" (or something like that). Not sure if it is actually a bad file, or if the installer first checked to see if my Phoenix is rooted (which it is), and then failed to install. When I tried downloading again, it said that I needed to wait 24 hours. Grrrrr.

Anyone download this successfully? And, what are the benefits of 2.2.2?
please could u pm me the file i flashed cm7 and want to get stock

PharmNerd

May 19, 2011
pharmnerd.com
The Pheonix just got a firmware up date today to 2.2.2 don't know if the Thrive has it too but being that there clones it shouldn't be much longer before you see it if it isn't already there. Don't know what it does yet but I will keep you posted if I notice any changes.
Any chance this was the AT&T update to allow sideloading??

sd_matto

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Second try, second fail.

It fails on the step "Validating Software Package". It says "Invalid software package".

I wonder if it has to do with either:
1. Fact that I am on Straight Talk (not ATT), using ATT network to download, and/or
2. Fact that I have phone rooted and a number of changes made to /system/app.

Thoughts, anyone?

And, for those who have downloaded, care to make an update.zip and upload that? :)

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Second try, second fail.

It fails on the step "Validating Software Package". It says "Invalid software package".

1. Fact that I am on Straight Talk (not ATT), using ATT network to download, and/or

Thoughts, anyone?

And, for those who have downloaded, care to make an update.zip and upload that? :)

It would be my guess that the rooting is the problem I have heard that rooted phones have issues with the over the air update not working. I would help with the update.zip but my phone is a Phoenix not a Thrive and it might brick your phone.

sd_matto

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
It would be my guess that the rooting is the problem I have heard that rooted phones have issues with the over the air update not working. I would help with the update.zip but my phone is a Phoenix not a Thrive and it might brick your phone.

My phone is a Phoenix as well.

I will eventually try unrooting phone, and seeing if that makes a difference. In case it is more than simply unrooting phone (by removing /system/bin/su, /system/bin/busybox, and /system/app/Superuser.apk) that needs to be done in order to permit downloading, I did remove a bunch of .apks and .odexs from the /system/app folder. And, I am pretty sure that I dont have all of the ATT junkware that shipped with Phoenix. Does anyone have a virgin copy of originally shipped /system/app .apk and .odex files? If so, care to post?

Thanks in advance.

awkgrep

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I tried updating my Thrive yesterday, and received the invalid package error. Couldn't find the file it downloaded. (Where would it be?)
I tried again today and now I'm getting the "no update available" message.

dovedescent7

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Second try, second fail.

Thoughts, anyone?

I found this post on google,signed up for this great forum just beacuse of this thread..

All brown-nosing aside, i have the same concern as the guy above....

Rooted and Tethered a new Thrive last night and using a Straight talk E71 sim..

Now i get this update this morning?

I keep ignoring it because i am worried it will brick me....

Anyone figure out anything about this?

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Update on this patch, it does allow for third party apps to be installed

Go to settings>applications>unknown sources and check the box and you can install stuff from anywhere you like. It of course comes up with a big AT&T you shouldn't do that cause you can mess up your phone message.

Also if some one can tell me where and how to get the update.zip off of my phone I will gladly upload provided I'm not going to piss AT&T off by doing so. My phone is not rooted I'm waiting for Gingerbread before I root.

PharmNerd

May 19, 2011
pharmnerd.com
Update on this patch, it does allow for third party apps to be installed
Well, crap. Now I REALLY wish I could get the update to make it past the "checking server for update" message. For those who have successfully updated, how long should I expect that step to take? I've been cancelling after 45-60min the last couple times I attempted it.

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
My complete download/install of the patch took about 15-20 mins at the most. But that was over 3G so it might be different if you connecting via 2G or 1G. Though 45 mins to an hour seems a bit much.

giandeli

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Second try, second fail.

Thoughts, anyone?

i have. A phoenix that won't boot but has recoverycould I have the update.zip please