This is the easiest way to root the LG Phoenix / Thrive

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah go ahead and post it, I tried to download it but none of the links I found worked (damn SOPA). It looks like there will be development but when is the question.

aznemesis

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Glad I checked this thread again before upgrading. I was thinking about running the upgrade to GingerBread tonight. I want root more than I want the upgraded OS. So, I will wait.

Can't thank you enough, Donavan.

temwt2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Rooting is not the issue. I was rooted about 10 minutes after installing the official update using LG's tool. I have even tried several roms with CWM. All of them that use the a .32 kernel/obb don't work because of the update(by don't work, i mean no data services and some no phone service). The ones that use a .35 kernel/nbb will boot looking real nice with Joban's no longer available .35 kernel but do not have data services. So to me the question is, do you like the roms available that use the .32 kernel/obb? Then don't upgrade. Otherwise, if you can have stock gingerbread and rooting take all of 5 minutes if that.

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Rooting is not the issue. I was rooted about 10 minutes after installing the official update using LG's tool. I have even tried several roms with CWM. All of them that use the a .32 kernel/obb don't work because of the update(by don't work, i mean no data services and some no phone service). The ones that use a .35 kernel/nbb will boot looking real nice with Joban's no longer available .35 kernel but do not have data services. So to me the question is, do you like the roms available that use the .32 kernel/obb? Then don't upgrade. Otherwise, if you can have stock gingerbread and rooting take all of 5 minutes if that.

Can you verify a 100% certain way to root the new gingerbread update. I want to update the first post so the instructions are complete for everyone. If you could just let me know the method you used an if there were any issues, Thanks.

LifesGoodPhoenix

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
no issues rooting 2.3.4 for me. just need to understand ADB a little. other than that its just like running gingerbreak on 2.2.2
hell i bet you could still run gingerbreak after you input the ADB command.

temwt2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I used the exact method that LifesGoodPhoenix posted on page 8 of this thread. http://www.blogotechblog.com/2012/02...3-gingerbread/
I have used these tools to root, then unroot, then reroot my phone. I have also rooted my girlfriends phone. It worked exactly as stated both times. I've done this with a computer every time though. I didn't mess with trying to do everything from my phone.

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I was kinda hoping for a phone only method but hey what ever works. If we find a better quicker way I can update that too.

thesnowsnake

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Bricked LG 505:

Like I said it is totally bricked just a pretty high tech nice desk top dust collector..
I tried to unroot with gingerbreak and it left it in a questionalble mode. Niether rooted or unrooted.
So tried the LG upgarade from LG to restore it..Well about 1/2 wat thru it timed out told me to unpug and try again..When I unpluged the phone it was GONE. Dead dead dead. no usb no magic button pushing helps nothing...There thats the skinny on how to brick a LG p505r.

If any one has a fix now is the time to speak up.....LOL

adam4374

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: This is the easiest way to root the LG Phoenix / Thrive [Froy

HELP i downloaded gingerbreak to my sd card and icant use open it any ideas?

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: This is the easiest way to root the LG Phoenix / Thrive [Froy

HELP i downloaded gingerbreak to my sd card and icant use open it any ideas?

You need a file explorer to locate the file and from there you should be able to run it. I suggest you re read the instructions and the XDA link I posted in the first page of my post.