This is the easiest way to root the LG Phoenix / Thrive

LifesGoodPhoenix

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Still on the fence on rooting Phoenix... ive read alot of stuff. ive noticed that after you root you should get a file manager, busybox(whatever that is), and a backup utility. Is it nesesary to backup before? if so is there a free one that doesnt reqire rooting?
new to this, sorry if this is a bit much. just dont want a paper weight.
just to clerfy... i got gingerbreak installed. i press root and it does the rest? then i have a rooted phone with nothing really diferent other than i have the ability to delet, modify how ever i want. the phone functions as it did before?
i read that a rooted phone can tether( send out wifi,bluetooth) free. no data plan, data plan upgrade. Is this true?
Is there any other cool stuff with rooting? What apps should i get after,or before rooting? im sure i forgot some questions, please bear with me. but hell thats what this forum is for.

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Still on the fence on rooting Phoenix... ive read alot of stuff. ive noticed that after you root you should get a file manager, busybox(whatever that is), and a backup utility.
A file manager is something you will want before you start rooting just to make life easier.
As far as Busybox it is a set of basic linux commands that are used in the rooting process. you dont need to worry about this if you use the gingerbreak APK it takes care of all that for you.
And a backup is probably something you should do, though I didn't which I may regret one day
Is it nesesary to backup before? if so is there a free one that doesnt reqire rooting?
You cant back up before you root unfortunately but you can backup right after rooting and then unroot your phone if your not happy with the rooting, its a one button process with gingerbreak. There are some other methods that might allow you to do what is called a temporary root, and this may let you do a backup of the OS but no promises there.
new to this, sorry if this is a bit much. just dont want a paper weight.
This is probably the best way for you to root the Phoenix I was terrified I was going to brick mine, but after reading way too much about the different methods I found that Gingerbreak was very unlikely to do any permanent harm to your phone. Now what you do with your phone after its rooted is a whole other matter but gingerbreak itself shouldn't cause you any issues.
just to clerfy... i got gingerbreak installed. i press root and it does the rest? then i have a rooted phone with nothing really diferent other than i have the ability to delet, modify how ever i want. the phone functions as it did before?
Yep Gingerbreak does it all for you. If your worried about issues I wouldn't start deleting things till you have a backup of your ROM. But you can get a program called Bloat Freezer that will let you "freeze" all the stuff AT&T forces your phone to run. Be careful and read up on whats safe to freeze and what isn't. Freeze/delete the wrong program and you phone could become useless. But aside from these little precautions your phone will work just like it did before you rooted except you will be able to do more with it and get around the AT&T cripple ware.

i read that a rooted phone can tether( send out wifi,bluetooth) free. no data plan, data plan upgrade. Is this true?
Is there any other cool stuff with rooting? What apps should i get after,or before rooting? im sure i forgot some questions, please bear with me. but hell thats what this forum is for.

As to what the phone can do once its rooted its pretty much only limited by what people have coded. These phones are little computers and they can in theory do anything a computer can do, but its just whether there are people out there that have written drivers/apps to do it. You will just have to check around and read up on what programs are out there vs what you want it to do.

Reactions: LifesGoodPhoenix

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I haven't done a whole lot with mine other than freezing the AT&T crap and installing some firewalls and ad blockers. As far as other apps go it shouldn't touch them but its always possible that things wont go as planned when rooting so I wouldn't go crazy installing software before you root, just in case.

fllbrent

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry if this has already been asked but if I root the phone will I be able to ditch the data plan and just use wifi for internet and syncing gmail & contact list?

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Rooting is not really related to your data plan. If you have a contract with AT&T you will be required to have a data plan to use this phone. However if you don't and your just doing the prepaid route you can get a voice without data plan and just turn your 3G off and you will only sync up with the internet when you are in range of a wifi connection. Search the forum there is a thread on exactly this topic.

LifesGoodPhoenix

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
ok... this is disapointing:( i went and rooted. now the apps i wanted are no longer available. the wireless tether app, bloat freezer are not on market. i didnt do my homework on if you can overclock the cpu, but someone hinted(on xda) that it is only possable with mod roms. true? i was a bit nieve to think that titanium backup would have a one click backup all things important so if you messed up you could one click restore(maybe it does...i got free version). thinking of getting paid so i can at least use the freeze function. on the other hand im thinkin to unroot,and just deal with it. i am going to read TTs user manual and give it an honest go. any advice or sugestions would be apriciated.
sorry for the b*&%h fest.

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I can't speak to the wireless tethering or the titanum back up but I can tell you that I was able to download and install bloatfreezer with no issues from the market. It has been a little while so it may have been taken down but I have it installed and working on mine.

LifesGoodPhoenix

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
well i did some research. i will stay rooted. i found my wifi tether app, it was a pain,. but its sweet. Titanium backups very usefull.
Thanks again for all the suport and advice.

any word on mods?

Last edited:

tony_s_fan

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
i've had gingerbreak running for about 20+ minutes and it's still at the rooting screen. problems??

After about 45 minutes, gingerbreak told me to reboot (manually). I did and redid gingerbreak. it appears to have worked now. i have the superuser icon, second time is the charm, i guess!

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah this was sited as a possible issue on the XDA site. Apparently the exploit just doesn't work right on the first go but it seems to do fine if you try again. Glad to see this helped another person.

jinx1695

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to Donavan, I used step 1b and it worked like a charm. Now if I can muster the courage I'll try 2.2.2? thanks again, Jinx1695

LifesGoodPhoenix

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
There is no good way to delete. If you get titanium backup pro you can uninstall them or freeze them. Keep in mind deleting them can brick your phone. I chose to freeze, that is before I flashed a different rom, so delete with care there are threads that have supposed safe bloatware deletes.
PLEASE READ BEFORE ACTION. as no one here is responsible.

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
hi do i have to use computer to root my lg thrive?sorry bout dat im just new to d world of android..hehe thanks

No you do not need to have a computer to root these phones. All you need to do is go to the very first post on this thread and follow the direction except you don't need to email the file to yourself you can just go to the gingerbreak.apk link straight from your phone. Which is here.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=578771&d=1303829207

Just Make sure you can install third part apps and USB debugging is turned on, and that you have a file manager and your ready to go. Just open the APK and run it and follow the direction. Its a piece of cake... little scary at first but even if you screw something up gingerbreak is pretty forgiving and even if you brick your phone there are ways back from it I have screwed my phone royally and its up a working like a charm now.

awang44

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I took route 1a) updating to 2.2.2 and using Titanium Backup after rooted to remove most of At&t apps. The phone is LG Phoenix. Everything went smoothly. The only 2 at&t apps left alone were YPmobile and At&t Hot Spots. they are still useful.

Thank all who contribute in this thread!