This is the easiest way to root the LG Phoenix / Thrive

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
No problem now fully bricked get get anything or usb ...hmmm HELP

not luck with buttoms or anything

OK walk us through exactly what you did again cause some of the stuff you were saying seems to contradict itself a bit. Can you boot into emergency mode? or does nothing work at all? If nothing is working at all no buttons no nothing I would suggest taking it back and getting a new one if its just hanging at the LG screen. But before you do give us a summarized rundown on what has happened.

Sheva

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
OK so now I'm an official proud owner of a rooted thrive but here's my next issue: how the hell do I do I get rid of the hard-to-remove crap apps I don't want?? Or be more to the point is there a better app on the Market that can handle this task? For example, I've tried the conventional way of getting rid of an app like Facebook as I don't care for it nor do I even have an account but my phone just tells me it's unable to uninstall it. In addition, I understand from reading this thread that you have to be careful as to which bloat apps you do get rid, especially the at&t ones. So an extension of my first concern is to ask if there is maybe a sort of thread that list apps that have been proven safe to remove?

Sorry for the winded first post, lol. And by the way many thanks for making this thread. ;)

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I used a program called bloat freezer. It allowed me to freeze programs without removing them that way I could test which programs I didnt need. There are many lists out there on the net for what AT&T crap you can get rid of but none of them are diffinative so you will just have to look program by program. There are other more widely used programs for getting rid of the junk.

SeaGirl

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I did this when I had 2.2.2 but I unrooted it after I removed the stuff I didn't want. (I only rooted to delete system apps). Today I upgraded to 2.3.4 but it won't let me root. It seems to install gingerbreak. I see it on the phone, but when I go to root it just hangs. I tried re-starting the phone, re-installing gingerbreak, etc. Is it just because I upgraded to 2.3.4 today?

PS First post to the forums but I've been reading them for a while.

Sheva

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Just flash cm7 n get that cleared!

LOL, yeah I suppose I could go ahead and do that too. I'll probably fiddle around w/ it for about a week or so before I flash it just to make sure I'm not missing anything, especially being a GoPhone thrive user and all. BTW, how's this cm7 build anyway is it fairly stable?

Sheva

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Another question I have is for all my fellow gophone users, particularly ones on the $50 rate plan. I have this one nagging question on data usage: nyone know if you can still use unlimited web (on the $50 a month rate plan) w/o buying a data plan? On my previous GoPhone, which wasn't a smartphone, I was do light web and things like email checking w/o having really ever add any data. I hey claim you have to, but frankly I don't see why I should if I have unlimited talk, and web.

I'll mostly use Wi-Fi for data extensive apps. Can anyone on the monthly an attest to whether you can use unlimited web, for the basic stuff, over 3g?

aznemesis

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
I had been debating whether to root for a long time. The primary reason was to get rid of the bloat. I don't care about themes, and my phone already allows for tethering. So, neither of those reasons were valid for me. It's just all the garbage on the phone. I finally got brave enough to do it tonight. Easy as pie. I didn't run into a single issue. My phone already had 2.2.2, so I didn't have to bother with step 1. I backed up my phone before I did anything, since I read that the process can sometimes reformat the SD card. All my fears of bricking my phone were unwarranted. Everything's fine, still there, and still working. Awesome.

I do have a couple of questions now that the process is complete:

1. Gingerbreak is only used for the actual rooting process, correct? I want to uninstall it, but I want to verify that this is okay before doing so.
  2. After finishing up the rooting process, should I turn the USB Debugging off again? Will it hurt anything if I do?

Anyway, many thanks for gathering the information. Very clear, to-the-point, and easy to use.

LifesGoodPhoenix

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
1. you should be fine uninstalling it. worst thing is loosing root. if bloatware was the only reason then loosing root after deleting them , you would never know.
2. USB debugging is only needed when connected to PC. tun it off/on as you like.

as for tethering. 3rd party apps let you do it on lower data plans. ie i have a 2gb plan, in order to tether with the phones app i was required to buy the 5gb plan. i dont use that much data so it would be a $20 wast.

TO ANYONE THAT NEED TO ROOT 2.3.4
try this for rooting 2.3.4. i dont know if it works as i dont need to root, so anyone trying it do give feed back.
http://www.blogotechblog.com/2012/02/how-to-root-lg-optimus-one-p500-on-android-2-3-3-gingerbread/
FYI run the command prompt from the ADB folder that was extracted from the file you DL from above site.

Last edited:

temwt2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I have a phoenix that I upgraded to 2.3.4 last night. I just followed the instruction from blogotechblog.com and it seems to have rooted. At least, I was able to uninstall the YP app which I was ever so happy to do. I ran the su test at the end of the SuperOneClick process which also seemed to work fine. Anyone know why I am still unable to uninstall twitter/facebook/at&t radio?

tsav87

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I have a phoenix that I upgraded to 2.3.4 last night. I just followed the instruction from blogotechblog.com and it seems to have rooted. At least, I was able to uninstall the YP app which I was ever so happy to do. I ran the su test at the end of the SuperOneClick process which also seemed to work fine. Anyone know why I am still unable to uninstall twitter/facebook/at&t radio?

because the are odexed.

Reactions: LifesGoodPhoenix

Sheva

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site

Well if you have it rooted, have you tried installing Titanium Backup to uninstall twitter/Facebook/at&t radio? I haven't changed my rom from the stock at&t build yet, however I do have it rooted. Using Titanium Backup (for rooted devices), I've been able to uninstall all of those 3 listed above (I actually chose to keep YP) w/ no problems at all.

temwt2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Just installed Titanium Backup. Works great. Thanks for the suggestion. Anyone have a link to directions on installing CWM for the Phoenix.

Oathkeeper1212

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
You can try using root installer? And I strongly suggest you guys use TWRP. Its so much better than CWM. But if you don't know how to manually install recoverys by means of adb/fastboot, then install CWM first, then download TWRP for optimus one and flash it from CWM, reboot and your all good.

Sent from my LG-P505 using Tapatalk

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
If someone can give me a 100% sure fire way of rooting the gingerbread phones I will gladly update my first post to include all this information. Also, Oathkeeper, could you please start a new thread or give me a hand with all the information on TWRP (detailed instructions on how to install). If not I will be glad to give it a go but I need to make sure I have a 100% gingerbread root before hand just in case I softbrick my own phone updating to TWRP and have to use the KDZ's to restore it.

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Oathkeeper1212, I checked into TWRP. Unfortunately right now its may be a dead end road. Teamwin has lost some of there developers And there seems to be some indication that the development of TWRP may be stalled greatly. There is another person trying to build a new version of TWRP code naming it Phoenix (fitting I thought) but I dont know if it will have any support for our phones.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams