T-Mobile G2 LED and Trackpad Notification Lights

eromezab

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Greetings,
I just bought an HTC T-Mobile G2. I know it's an older phone and outdated compared to current models, but I'm happy with my G2. Anyway, maybe someone can help me with a minor issue.

I thought the phone's LED and trackpad would light up whenever I get notifications. However, my G2 never does this. I've seen YouTube videos showing that the LED and trackpad would light up. I've set the "Pulse notification light" under the "Sound settings", but it still doesn't work.

My phone is running Android 2.3.4. (Gingerbread). I bought it unlocked, but still unrooted.

Questions:

1. Was the LED/trackpad feature disabled in my version of Android?
  2. Could it be possible that an internal piece of hardware was remove or destroyed?
  3. Is there some other setting that I should set?
  4. If possible, how can I get the feature restored?

Any help would be much appreciated.

anon(11078)

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I just gave my Tmobile G2 to a friend. The track pad on my G2 never lit up. I don't believe that it was designed to light up.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

eromezab

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Well, I solved one problem ... the trackpad light. It turns out that the LEDs for the trackpad was covered with black electrical tape, thus preventing it from being seen.

I was able to disassemble my phone (via help from YouTube), and thus discovered black tape covering the LEDs that light up the trackpad. After removing the tape and reassembling the phone, the trackpad worked as advertised. The only thing is that it doesn't light up for all notifications. However, it did light up for incoming calls and pulsates for missed calls. It would only pulsates for about 2-3 minutes then stop. So, I'm not sure how useful that is. This may be the way it's supposed to work, but I'm not sure. In any event, the trackpad is now lighting up.

The next problem to solve is the LED near the earpiece (i.e., the LED that lights up when charging.) This should blink green at a moderate rate when a notification is pending. So far, I haven't been able to get it to blink, although it may only do that with certain notifications as with the trackpad. This LED would probably be more useful to me since it is supposed to blink at a faster rate than the trackpad and (hopefully) stay on until I respond to the notification.

BTW, I bought this phone online and it was advertised as unlocked but "new". However, after disassembling the phone, it became obvious that the phone had been refurbished. According to the YouTube images, a few screws and other factory assembly items were missing. The phone looked new, but it really isn't (false advertisement IMHO.) I'm not quite as mad about that since the price of the phone was about 1/4 the full cost when it first came out. However, it should work exactly as advertised. Anyway, buyer beware when an unlocked phone is advertised as "new".

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463