Processor Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Can someone please explain to me why this phone will launch with only 800 MHz? Does it have a sick GPU to make up for it?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
New architecture. From what I hear, the new chip at 800 runs better and uses less battery than the current 1GHz Snapdragon

And the GPU is great. Slightly better than Droid X, slightly behind the Galaxy S -- so basically all of the big 3 have equivalent GPU's...for now.

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
There is no skin on top of the Android OS. Nothing that is consistanly running as a separate program. The 800Mhz is gonna be fine.

sherifone

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
People need to understand that this 800mhz SoC has a better architecture, and GPU with 4x the performance of the previous Snapdragon.

It will be way better than the Nexus One, EVO 4G, Incredible... And more on par with the iPhone 4, and Samsung Galaxy S phones.

Bushido Brown

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
It uses the same 45nm architecture as the new 3600 series OMAP cores. They produce lower voltages, and faster cycles. The G2 will smoke the EVO, Incredible, and N1 in terms of performance.

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
It uses the same 45nm architecture as the new 3600 series OMAP cores. They produce lower voltages, and faster cycles. The G2 will smoke the EVO, Incredible, and N1 in terms of performance.

Well, the Evo, Incredible, and N1 run on year old technology, I'd hope the G2 smokes them. I'm more concerned with comparing it to the X, Droid 2, Galaxy S, which gbhil did. Thanks for the info though, Bushido.

Sherifone, did you read my original post? I asked about the GPU.

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
The GPU doesn't really have much to do with the clock speed. If that was the case, I would've been able to get a higher FPS score in a Neocore benchmark test on my Droid 1 after overlocking it.

The GPU is an Adreno 205, and should perform on par with the current crop of high end Android smartphones.

T-Mobile G2 should have similar performance to Samsung Galaxy S ? Android and Me

Very interesting. Nice link. Thanks for the info, that puts my worries to rest.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Don't start talking about out performing the evo until it actually is out and has done so, what seems good on paper doesn't always translate. (Except for gaming, Evo doesn't handle that so well. Unless youre rooted :cool: )

Same goes for hspa+ beating sprint wimax 4G.

I'll believe it all when I see it haha ;)

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Don't start talking about out performing the evo until it actually is out and has done so, what seems good on paper doesn't always translate. (Except for gaming, Evo doesn't handle that so well. Unless youre rooted :cool: )
Agree in most cases, but disagree here. If the processor is shown to be as fast/faster than the Evo's, plus it has stock Android, plus a dedicated GPU, plus a smaller screen... will definitely out-perform the Evo.

Same goes for hspa+ beating sprint wimax 4G.

This I completely agree with though. No way to tell, considering both companies only give you "theoretical" speeds.

drfrank

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Decent performance, not great performance

I counted pixels on the image that Jerry posted. The Nexus One received an 820% increase in "CPU" performance from 2.2. Extrapolating that to the Galaxy S, the CPU score for those devices would be 1175.

In terms of processor performance, that would make a Galaxy S with 2.2 18% faster than the G2.

Also worth noting is the faster I/O on the Galaxy S: About 130 points difference, which is a 61% performance advantage for the Galaxy S. Presumably this would be unaffected by the 2.2 upgrade.

I don't play games on my phone, so I don't care about the other parts of the benchmark.

In terms of real-world effects, I'm not usually frustrated by the foreground app being too slow; it's usually switching between apps when I start to notice delay. The 61% performance benefit of the Galaxy's I/O system is therefore probably much more significant to me compared to the difference in processor performance.

I was planning to return my two Epics next week... This has given me something to think about.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I counted pixels on the image that Jerry posted. The Nexus One received an 820% increase in "CPU" performance from 2.2. Extrapolating that to the Galaxy S, the CPU score for those devices would be 1175.

In terms of processor performance, that would make a Galaxy S with 2.2 18% faster than the G2.

Also worth noting is the faster I/O on the Galaxy S: About 130 points difference, which is a 61% performance advantage for the Galaxy S. Presumably this would be unaffected by the 2.2 upgrade.

I don't play games on my phone, so I don't care about the other parts of the benchmark.

In terms of real-world effects, I'm not usually frustrated by the foreground app being too slow; it's usually switching between apps when I start to notice delay. The 61% performance benefit of the Galaxy's I/O system is therefore probably much more significant to me compared to the difference in processor performance.

I was planning to return my two Epics next week... This has given me something to think about.

Your whole theory is flawed... other phones might get greater or lower increases from 2.2 besides the fact that they are all different processors.
I'd geta G2 over an epic anyday, and G2's arent even out.

If you want it to be a faster cpu just root it and overclock, im sure that the 800mhz is not what its fully capable of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel