G2 Thwarting attempts to Mod?

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Many are speculating that is why our internal memory is so low, our phone has a mirror image of the OS that it loads on reboot if anything is changed. I have faith that the mod community will have this thing hacked, but I am disappointed in T-Mobile AND HTC. Freedom is why I went with an Android device and not the iPhone.

This doesn't change my decision because I love this phone to death, but companies need to know that the Steve Jobs stance is NOT the correct one. If we mod and end up bricking our phones, that's our problem. Because after we dish out $500 the phone should be OURS. Of course I understand $ makes the world go round, and in the end that's all companies care about, but that doesn't make it less evil.

Edit- Love that comparison of the G2 to the liquid Terminator, it just keeps fixing itself!

Last edited:

Bushido Brown

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Where's the "Vote with your money, don't buy locked down phones" blah blah blah crowd at?. All (obvious) jokes aside. I'm kinda surprised by this. I fully expected the G2 to be the centerpiece for Android hacks.

If history has taught us anything, is that someone(s) will develop a workaround. Just like they have for the new Motos.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Lol so as I've said since the X dropped and was locked. This is the way the phone manufacturers are going. So where are the cries to stop buying locked phones? If we all stop buying locked phones then we will be stuck on dinosaurs like the nexus

dseiden

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
It is a bit dissapointing as I was hoping that this phone would be as easy to root as my Nexus was when I got that. Having this big obsticle I think will make it harder to root but I am sure someone will come up with a soltution. The one drawback is that it may be a technical work around that not as many people will attempt. Will be interesting to watch as this evolves. Hope the new MyTouch is not locked like this as well.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I've spent the better part of the morning talking to folks about this. The internet FUD machine is at it again.

There is no rootkit in the G2
It's simply a different partition scheme, that incorporates a failsafe in case the system goes bad. This way, your G2 can't be bricked. And now that the BBQ is over, the big guns are at it.

This will fall. It's not malicious, it's just new. If it turns out not to be crackable, I'll take my G2 back. It may be the best Android phone to date, but like the Droid X, I don't want locked hardware, even if it's not locked on purpose.

Keep an eye on the front page, there's a twist to this story that none of the blogs spreading the FUD caught. You'll love it.

Last edited:

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Since the other thread is regarding the "rootkit conspiracy" I just wanted to post T-Mobile's statement of what is going on here-
Bellevue, Wash. — Oct. 7, 2010

As pioneers in Android-powered mobile devices, T-Mobile and HTC strive to support innovation. The T-Mobile G2 is a powerful and highly customizable Android-powered smartphone, which customers can personalize and make their own, from the look of their home screen to adding their favorite applications and more.

The HTC software implementation on the G2 stores some components in read-only memory as a security measure to prevent key operating system software from becoming corrupted and rendering the device inoperable. There is a small subset of highly technical users who may want to modify and re-engineer their devices at the code level, known as “rooting,” but a side effect of HTC’s security measure is that these modifications are temporary and cannot be saved to permanent memory. As a result the original code is restored.

http://press.t-mobile.com/articles/t-mobile-G2-code-level-modifications

Bushido Brown

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I've spent the better part of the morning talking to folks about this. The internet FUD machine is at it again.

There is no rootkit in the G2
It's simply a different partition scheme, that incorporates a failsafe in case the system goes bad. This way, your G2 can't be bricked. And now that the BBQ is over, the big guns are at it.

This will fall. It's not malicious, it's just new. If it turns out not to be crackable, I'll take my G2 back. It may be the best Android phone to date, but like the Droid X, I don't want locked hardware, even if it's not locked on purpose.

Keep an eye on the front page, there's a twist to this story that none of the blogs spreading the FUD caught. You'll love it.
I think its already been cracked as of today. Devs are just working on streamlining the process before their releasing, errr...or something like that. but yea getting around that doesn't appear to be as difficult as beating the D2/DX bootloader (which didn't take very long either)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol