Reasonable Spell Checker?

ScottieG59

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Nobody seems to have found a reasonable spell checker for Android. I guess I took this feature for granted. My Blackberry Phones all had a spell checker. If I do not find something, the Android will be little more than a trinket. I am actually thinking of going back to my Blackberry for this one single advantage.

I do not want to have to copy and paste or do extra things. The spell checker should be seamless and fully integrated.

It is way too easy to make errors and the technology is readily available on Blackberry.

Withe all of the thousands of joke applications out there, how about something really useful, like a spell checker that integrates fully.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I have no idea why you would need one, I am typing faster than I typed on my old BlackBerry, unless you cannot memerize a qwerty keyboard, this will never be a problem. Now if you are talking about the software keyboard, it is a breeze and I wrote this entire thing with it in portrait mode

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

dukehoops

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
hence "memerize"...

IMO spell checker, especially on a touch screen device, is essential functionality. I am, too, surprised that Android 2.1 (not sure about 2.2) does not have it built-in.

stpbud

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Please help, I really don't want to send this phone back!

Man, I love this phone, I really do!

I already dl'd a bunch of great apps, tweaked the setting to my liking, got all of my accounts working flawlessly, but...

and it's a big one.

spell check. know it doesn't sound like a big deal, but when you are constantly sending emails to clients, I really can't have misspelled words.

You have no idea how crappy I feel right now, just the thought of returning the phone is making me sick - but I can't have a phone with no spell checker.

-Sad Panda.

legendary1022

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I take it you are mainly using the hardware keyboard to do text entry. I recommend using smart keyboard pro. Not only is it the best keyboard on android IMO, it also has word suggestions when using the hardware keyboard, allowing you to check your spelling and suggesting words as you type.

Sent from my HTC Vision

legendary1022

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I take it you are mainly using the hardware keyboard to do text entry. I recommend using smart keyboard pro. Not only is it the best keyboard on android IMO, it also has word suggestions when using the hardware keyboard, allowing you to check your spelling and suggesting words as you type.

Sent from my HTC Vision

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Man, I love this phone, I really do!

I already dl'd a bunch of great apps, tweaked the setting to my liking, got all of my accounts working flawlessly, but...

and it's a big one.

spell check. know it doesn't sound like a big deal, but when you are constantly sending emails to clients, I really can't have misspelled words.

You have no idea how crappy I feel right now, just the thought of returning the phone is making me sick - but I can't have a phone with no spell checker.

-Sad Panda.

what keyboard are you using

Reactions: Belle Mae

graffixnyc

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I believe the maildroid app has spell check, I use k9 but it doesnt have spell check for SMS messages you can get handcent sms also has built in spell check. handcent also has pop up sms notification and "auto text" ie.. replaces Im with I'm. While I noticed the native gmail app does this, the stock messaging app does not

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm not looking for predictive text, i'm looking for a spell checker for what's already been typed.

I was talking to someone the other day with the Epic 4g and I don't really understand the complaining. Predictive text basically is a spell checker, unless it just absolutely can't find the word you're trying to type I guess, but you'd have to be pretty far off for that in my experience.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Im using the gingerbread keyboard and it's awesome. Predictive, or suggested the correct words are there to choose from. If that's not a spell checker - then what is.

KingAndroid

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
There was a keyboard, I believe it was better keyboard, that gave you spell checking when you are using a hardware keyboard, if that is what you are referring to.

thomashedd1

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Droid(Blur) 2/X Keyboard.

I'm on the D2G and the native blur keyboard gives me regular old blackberry style spell checker on the physical keyboard. i think that if you were to download it, it would do the same on the G 2. But there is a possibility that it wont carry over.
If you spell something wrong its highlighted in red, then you have to option to go back to it and get suggestions.
Moto took a bunch from blackberrys when constructing blur, like copy and paste style.

Hope this will work for you:)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon