considering g2

nimhero

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi all. I am thinking of getting off my family plan and getting my own plan. Right now I am using an epic 4g, and was considering switcing from sprint to tmo. Good reception and hspa+ in my region.

What do you all think?

Sprint or tmobile?

And would the G2 or Epic be better?

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I had the Epic for a while, returned it, got the G2, love it. If T-Mo is good in your area, go for it. I'm glad I did.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile has some pretty meh coverage where I live, but so did Sprint, so in the end it was Evo 4g? Or G2? I chose the G2 for the amazing keyboard and stock Froyo, I have some regrets but I am sure that if this hinge gives way, HTC best replace it.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

Forrest

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I would recommend it but only after you consider these things.

Is your device going to reboot on you when it shoudlnt?
Example: Lets say you are doing something important, oops reboot!

Are you okay with not being able to hack it and remove the bloatware that keeps popping up?
Example: I take a sensitive picture of something and photobucket out of no where pops up and says do you want to upload this? **** NO GET OFF MY PHONE. What if i accidently hit yes? (granted i havent filled out the account infomration but you can see how tihs can be deadly)

If those things are not going to bother you then the phone is great.

nimhero

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
The phone randomly reboots?

I heard about the root block, has there been no fix yet?

I really like both phones, I'm just afraid that the sammy will never get updates. And I have been having issues with the epic...

nimhero

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile has some pretty meh coverage where I live, but so did Sprint, so in the end it was Evo 4g? Or G2? I chose the G2 for the amazing keyboard and stock Froyo, I have some regrets but I am sure that if this hinge gives way, HTC best replace it.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

Curious, what regrets if you don't mind me asking.

qst4

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm sort of on the fence. Physically the G2 is beautiful. The construction is top notch, probably the most beautiful phone I've seen period. The keyboard is great. However, I did have a couple of strange reboots which seemed to coincide with prolonged use of navigation and in certain areas it would lose signal and change from HSPA to EDGE or lose the data signal completely. I travel a lot so I was able to put it through its paces and on a scale of 1-10 would probably give it a 7. I just never experienced these signal issues with my EVO or Nexus, and while not debilitating because it was fairly random, it was enough to cause me to raise my eyebrow. Now when everything is working properly, which is most of the time, the processor felt faster than both the Nexus and EVO and HSPA seemed to be just as fast as Sprints 4G. Even in light of some of the issues, if you frequent areas with a strong T-mobile signal I would say you definitely need to try this phone even if its only for the trial period.

Forrest

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
The phone randomly reboots?

I heard about the root block, has there been no fix yet?

I really like both phones, I'm just afraid that the sammy will never get updates. And I have been having issues with the epic...

So far i have recieved 1 soft reboot a day.

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I have had no soft reboots since I got it in september, some phones have had this problem, MANY phones don't . You can also turn off the photobucket app so it stops asking for uploading. Personally I love this phone, but if you want to wait a month and see if the few bugs get ironed out and the developers manage to root this thing nobody would blame you. Solid phone though

Forrest

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I have had no soft reboots since I got it in september, some phones have had this problem, MANY phones don't . You can also turn off the photobucket app so it stops asking for uploading. Personally I love this phone, but if you want to wait a month and see if the few bugs get ironed out and the developers manage to root this thing nobody would blame you. Solid phone though

you are lucky about no soft reboots. I also love the phone but i really wish it didnt do the soft reboot on me.

clue11

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm considering switching from Sprint as well. The G2 seems like a solid phone when I played with it in the store. But I'm waiting for the new MyTouch to come out first and then decide between the two.

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Hey, everyone. I recently started with Sprint on an Epic. Was considering switching to G2/TMo because of a deal at a local retailer which would save me some money. But Tmo seems spottier (nationwide-speaking) than Sprint, and while I dig HTC, the only real advantages I can see with the G2 other than saving money are that it's likely to get more OS updates, and sooner, andthat I could probably swap in a pe-paid SIM for international travel/use. I'm also concerned about reported issues with G2 reception, rebooting, and speaker quality, as well as cautious about TMoble's network.

On the flip, the pro-Epic items:
probably better network overall
Probably faster than most anything when it gets 2.2 update
Video/Audio/Photo capture is tops on android right now
screen size, quality, SuperAMOLED (it does rock even in direct sunlight)
Front Facing camera with video chatting/calling/etc.
More likely to be and stay rootable, if I ever went there...

I'd be really interested to hear your opinions on these things. I'm guessing this camp is going to be mostly pro-G2 and down with TMo, which is fine & great--your realistic, objective comments would be really helpful, especially your own real-world experience with TMo and the G2 (esp if you've also rocked the Epic).

Thanks!
Fletch

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11