WOW CyanogenMod!

rickm8384

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
My G2x is usable and fun again! Cyanogenmod 7.1 is excellent. Tops Ultimate G2x by a mile! I just hope it doesn't wear down as the days go on like Ultimate did. At first Ultimate worked like a charm but then it started SLOWINGGGGGGGGG DOWWWWWNNNNNN. But now all is great again with CM7. I'm ecstatic. Whats the best kernal to pair with CM7? Anyone know?

Pear

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Can you post some screenshots. Also, what do you mean by kernal to pair? How do you update your kernel? I am extremely new to this. Also, if you install a custom ROM does it automatically change the android version depending on the rom?

rickm8384

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah if I have a chance today I will post some screen shots. All Mods are based off of a version of Android. For example, Ultimate G2x was based off of Android 2.2.2. CM7 is based off of 2.3.4. SO yes, to answer your question based on the mod you install your version of Android will change.

As for Kernel, I'm not sure I completely understand what it is, but I do know that certain kernels allow you to overclock your CPU. Faux Kernel actually allows the G2x to go as high as 1.5ghz stable. Maybe someone else with more advanced Android knowledge can give you a better explanation of exactly WHAT a Kernel is.

tinatina

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
i wanna try this as i'm getting pretty annoyed with my g2x...any tutorials on how to put the cm7.1 mod on a stock g2x...i've never done anything like this before, but i think i can do it with a good set of directions...

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I ran cm7.1 for a while, now I'm back on froyo until I hear that gps is fixed and I don't have apn issues with it I'll stick with an oc froyo build. Plus dark and sinister had been running like a dream havent seen a reboot and very few lags. where as on cm I would have to constantly hard reboot my phone to get data back at work

tinatina

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
But from what I read I thought that the cm7.1 mod was a lot better than the stock froyo and everything was working except for the camera (something about not being able to record video in 1080)

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have had no GPS issues with CM7.1 RC1. I have had the rare occurrence where data handoff doesn't happen properly when leaving a wifi network (takes longer than it should or I need to reboot), but that's not very often.

I have no issues with the camera, either. Not sure what the resolution is for HD, but I heard that they hacked 1080P into it so that it would be there for those of us that like to record at that resolution (I personally use the youtube HD setting since I need to be able to share my videos). I have no complaints about that setting.

JFetch

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I saw it on This Week in Tech, and Leo Laporte was talking about how it made his G2x fun and usable again. He said it was real easy to put on there, but I looked it up and it seems like a lot of hassle.

rizzman

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Think I will install that as well. I was tryong to wait out for the offcial GB. I'll give LG one more week.

Yeah right? Wait for LG and give it one more week. Good luck with that. It seems like they are more worried about putting out low and mid range Android phones than working on support for their first ever high end phone. Nice job LG. Glad we see where your priorities are. We will see how your high end phones will do down the road. And what annoys me more is that these crappy phones shown recently are being released with GB!!!!! WTF!

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've been using faux123's CM7.1/AOSP kernel. Battery life has been better. The kernel that comes with CM7.1 is pretty good. I had no complaints about it.