GB "Update"

lindel

May 18, 2011
Visit site
If you have a refurb or a replacement phone, you might not get the update. A lot of users at xda-developers had the same problem.

If you're rooted and using the stock rom, you should be able to get the download (with the caveat about the refurb phone) and have GB and still be rooted.

If you unroot, you won't be able to get root back (I haven't yet, I don't know about anyone that has).

rickm8384

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I was not rooted. But I guess my phone is a referb. Like i said, this just further proves to me that the G2x is not worth the trouble. My Sensation is out for delivery today. And I've already sold my G2x. I'm not usually one to jump ship but it just doesn't seem to me that LG was prepared to handle what happened with this phone. And I'm not willing to wait another 4 months for the update to come out for refurbed phones.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
There are indications that this is just another leak, too, which would explain why the "regular" phones and "refurb" phones aren't acting the same with it. I can't say for sure if it's real or not, but there are some doubts about it coming from T-Mobile, and not just a leak from LG.

wezra

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
I suspect this is an "unofficial" leak directly from LG. In reality, I personally believe LG leaked this to see how it went when hard core users like us would update the phones vs. trying to go beta with it and causing major issues with G2x owners that weren't allowed to participate in the beta.

I updated my phone last night and it is working far better then it had been... it is faster and no issues so far. The funny part is that I have a "replacement" phone coming today. I am going to refuse delivery and send it back. My understanding is that the refurbs and "replacement" phones aren't taking the update. If this update were officially coming from LG or T-Mobile you would get it OTA not via the update tool. That is unless it is too large a file to go OTA. I also believe T-Mobile would have announced the update. Even the LG web site doesn't have it listed as a download. So leak it is.. but it is a good one!

To be frank I was going to accept the replacement (which would have been #3), keep it for 30 days and send it back to fulfill my 3 phone requirement before being allowed to go with another phone. I then would have gone with the Sensation... but now I hear the Sensation is having some major issues. So why go thru the trouble if this leaked GB update has fixed my G2x... which I think is the best phone out there.

The real problem lies with the carriers and manufacturers turning out new phones every other day. They are just moving way to fast and not putting the proper amount of R & D into the phones like they used to. So we, the consumer, end up with phones that don't operate properly because the software is faulty or the software doesn't work with the hardware the way it should... on and on. LG, HTC and Motorola need to slow down and take a breath. Enough new phones for a while!

lindel

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I agree wezra. My phone hasn't rebooted at all since the update, and is far more stable. I'll flash cwm tonight with nvflash, then load up the rooted update on xda, which will solve my "lost root" issue.

Pretty soon, the devs will have roms based on this leak, and that will tide us over till the official update comes along.

cordsig79

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I am on my original G2X and my issues have been around battery life via minimal use........it's always plugged in.

You need a good consistent internet connection and do not hook up the phone.

I saw the tmo news note on GB 2.3.3, downloaded LG update tool at work on laptop hardwired into network, then pulled over the drivers when I started the update tool. It took 9 minutes from start of driver install and then hooking up the phone, then to transfer over the S/W updates.

You may have a corrupted driver........go back with the phone completely unplugged and remove the update tool from programs and delete the driver. Then go back and redownload the LG update tool program and then it should prompt you to pull over the tmobile driver file to install..........all without the phone hooked up.

Then try to plug in the phone when the tool and driver are running and prompt you too..........you probably had a corrupt driver for some reason.

rizzman

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm...interesting that some believe this might just be a leak. It did seem weird it did not come from Tmobile but from LG directly. Well if that be the case that this is just a beta leak, where do we go to give feedback cause I have already encountered a glitch or two. Had to pull the battery from the phone to unfreeze it. Christ....felt like I was back in BB land doing that!:D

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Also there are a ton of unlocked 2X's out there. This could be for those and just work with the G2X because the hardware is identical.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

wezra

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
So could we then continue to ***** and moan that there is still no official GB update for the G2X? LOL;)

Spoke with T-Mobile Customer Retention this afternoon. The update did come from LG directly and has not been approved by T-Mobile. I suspect it is a beta and LG let it leak to see what the response was from those who loaded it up on the G2x.

My update has been running since 8 PM last night and it is 9:15 on Friday night and so far not a single glitch. This is what the phone should have been out of the box!

rizzman

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Spoke with T-Mobile Customer Retention this afternoon. The update did come from LG directly and has not been approved by T-Mobile. I suspect it is a beta and LG let it leak to see what the response was from those who loaded it up on the G2x.

My update has been running since 8 PM last night and it is 9:15 on Friday night and so far not a single glitch. This is what the phone should have been out of the box!

Wow....pretty ballsy on LG's part to just bypass TMO. LOL. Yeah the update seemed to work fine until my phone froze completely and had to do a battery pull. That has me worried. I mean it only happened once but I have only had the update hours before that happened. Hope it was just a fluke. Oh and LG....FIX THE SPACE BAR/PERIOD HICCUP!

rizzman

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I ran a speed test after doing the update and my download speeds are way slower. Has anyone else noticed this?

I too have noticed that. Thought it might have just been me or the network. But I can't seem to get the same speeds as I did before the update under exact conditions in the same places. Hmmmm. Seems like there are more bugs than i first thought

rizzman

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I ran a speed test after doing the update and my download speeds are way slower. Has anyone else noticed this?

I too have noticed that. Thought it might have just been me or the network. But I can't seem to get the same speeds as I did before the update under exact conditions in the same places. Hmmmm. Seems like there are more bugs than i first thought

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
My question is this - what will T-Mobile do if you take this "unofficial" update from an "official" source like LG, mess your phone up, and need a replacement?

wezra

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Evidentially T-Mobile has given a select number of their employees with G2x’s this very update to beta before “official” release. I spoke again with Customer Retention this morning and the guy I spoke with said that if LG did a beta release it is perfectly fine… no issue with the warranty on the phone. They can tell if the update came from LG or some other source. I suspect the release information tells them all they need to know. I was concerned about my warranty with the LG update.
The T-Mobile Rep stated that the phone clearly had major software issues from the get-go and they knew LG was working on a fix as quickly as they could. He also said they knew the hardware was fine… the issues were all in the software. Which begs the question… why did they release the phone with 2.2.2 on it when they knew it was not compatible with the hardware? Would it not have been better to hold off on the release of the phone until 2.3.3 was finished, tested and market ready? A case of a manufacturer and carrier trying to get a jump on the competition with a product that wasn’t ready for market. A lesson here?

My G2x is running perfectly after the update.. .super fast speeds on the internet and transitions from one app to the next... zero lag. Phone calls are fine.. no more hanging-up in the middle of a call. This is what this phone should have been out of the box!

rizzman

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Evidentially T-Mobile has given a select number of their employees with G2x?s this very update to beta before ?official? release. I spoke again with Customer Retention this morning and the guy I spoke with said that if LG did a beta release it is perfectly fine? no issue with the warranty on the phone. They can tell if the update came from LG or some other source. I suspect the release information tells them all they need to know. I was concerned about my warranty with the LG update.
The T-Mobile Rep stated that the phone clearly had major software issues from the get-go and they knew LG was working on a fix as quickly as they could. He also said they knew the hardware was fine? the issues were all in the software. Which begs the question? why did they release the phone with 2.2.2 on it when they knew it was not compatible with the hardware? Would it not have been better to hold off on the release of the phone until 2.3.3 was finished, tested and market ready? A case of a manufacturer and carrier trying to get a jump on the competition with a product that wasn?t ready for market. A lesson here?

My G2x is running perfectly after the update.. .super fast speeds on the internet and transitions from one app to the next... zero lag. Phone calls are fine.. no more hanging-up in the middle of a call. This is what this phone should have been out of the box!

I hope then my slow DL speeds were just a fluke yesterday because they were significantly much lower in my house. The phone does seem nicer and tighter overall. Just hope they hear the nuances we are discovering so that the official release if different addresses them.