GB "Update"

chaz0717

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey folks, I have been seeing some negative feedback regarding the camera in this update. Aside from battery life being crappy, I haven't had the issues it seems like many people have. My camera is important to me, and I'm not sure I want to make that trade. can you early adopters have a look and provide feedback? Thanks!

lobobuzz

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Evidentially T-Mobile has given a select number of their employees with G2x?s this very update to beta before ?official? release. I spoke again with Customer Retention this morning and the guy I spoke with said that if LG did a beta release it is perfectly fine? no issue with the warranty on the phone. They can tell if the update came from LG or some other source. I suspect the release information tells them all they need to know. I was concerned about my warranty with the LG update.
The T-Mobile Rep stated that the phone clearly had major software issues from the get-go and they knew LG was working on a fix as quickly as they could. He also said they knew the hardware was fine? the issues were all in the software. Which begs the question? why did they release the phone with 2.2.2 on it when they knew it was not compatible with the hardware? Would it not have been better to hold off on the release of the phone until 2.3.3 was finished, tested and market ready? A case of a manufacturer and carrier trying to get a jump on the competition with a product that wasn?t ready for market. A lesson here?

My G2x is running perfectly after the update.. .super fast speeds on the internet and transitions from one app to the next... zero lag. Phone calls are fine.. no more hanging-up in the middle of a call. This is what this phone should have been out of the box!

When typing are you getting a period after hitting the space bar twice? This issue/bug is driving me crazy. Might try and return/exchange at Costco today.

rizzman

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Hey folks, I have been seeing some negative feedback regarding the camera in this update. Aside from battery life being crappy, I haven't had the issues it seems like many people have. My camera is important to me, and I'm not sure I want to make that trade. can you early adopters have a look and provide feedback? Thanks!

Wow...I think the battery life is so much improved over the stock OS. Where I was happy before with it, i am not really excited about it now. Maybe its just me but I believe the battery life is so much better with this build. Anyone else agree? Just curious.

tinatina

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Wow...I think the battery life is so much improved over the stock OS. Where I was happy before with it, i am not really excited about it now. Maybe its just me but I believe the battery life is so much better with this build. Anyone else agree? Just curious.

acutally, after the GB update, my battery life has decreased drastically...my phone has been on for 6hrs and 23min, and i only used it a couple of times to check my email and had 2 short phone calls and my battery is down to 47%...but other than that and the space/period thing I love the update

rizzman

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
acutally, after the GB update, my battery life has decreased drastically...my phone has been on for 6hrs and 23min, and i only used it a couple of times to check my email and had 2 short phone calls and my battery is down to 47%...but other than that and the space/period thing I love the update

Wow...I guess I am one of the few lucky ones that got better battery life with this build. If this is a leaked beta, I hope the official tmo update makes it even better....:)

Anyone notice less available RAM from the get go with this build? I know it is an update but I am noticing almost 30 megs less of available ram from a restart that with 2.2.

rizzman

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Ok...so I have to eat my previous words....battery IS worse than with froyo on this build. Dang....significantly worse. Come one LG and TMO! This is your flagship device. You're treating it like it's and entry android device.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The camera "issue" is that the awesome LG camera app isn't in Gingerbread.

For the period happening after a double press of the spacebar...I think that's a feature, not a bug/issue. Certain keyboards have this built-in automatically, and another well-known platform (Blackberry) has had this for a while. It's billed as a time saver. It doesn't bother me, actually.

Battery life I'm not sure. I haven't flashed the leak yet (waiting for someone to include the new baseband in a flashable ZIP). I've been on CM7.1 RC1 since it was released and have no complaints.

lindel

May 18, 2011
Visit site
OG Droid did the same thing with the keyboard.

After flashing the rooted GB update (I hate not having root, too many of my apps require it), the phone is performing very nicely. It was running a little slower before I flashed the rooted rom. All scores were way down, but now are quite a bit better.

Battery life is also much better after flashing the rooted update. It was pretty abysmal before. I even tried a factory reset early yesterday, and that seem to make it even worse

rizzman

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Maybe rooting is the way to go then. But is it too late for me now that I dl the lg gb update? Hate being so new to this platform. Quite a bit to learn before being able to mod a device.

wezra

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
When typing are you getting a period after hitting the space bar twice? This issue/bug is driving me crazy. Might try and return/exchange at Costco today.

I don't think the issue with the period is an actual bug vs. a function of the software. They simply never built the capability into the keyboard software. I use Swiftkey X and don't have that issue. I found Swiftkey much easier to use and configure.

The one thing I don't like is how they dummied up the camera software. I liked having the option of picking how many megapixels I wanted to shoot at or if I wanted HD or not. Now it is defaulted to 8 megapixels on the camera. At least you can choose HD or not on the video side. I guess you have to take some bad with the good. The camera software may have been conflicting with something else on the phone... who knows for sure.

Overall, I am very pleased with the GB update. The phone is faster, battery life is fine and the overall performance is far more stable then 2.2.2.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Maybe rooting is the way to go then. But is it too late for me now that I dl the lg gb update? Hate being so new to this platform. Quite a bit to learn before being able to mod a device.

I'm not 100% sure, but I know there are one-click apps that are supposed to be able to root gingerbread.

lindel

May 18, 2011
Visit site

No one has been able to root it yet. None of the usual cures for rooting Gingerbread have worked.

However, all is not lost. You can use nvflash to load ClockworkMod Recovery and using that to flash the already rooted gingerbread rom. The brightspot in all this is that you'll have the newer baseband if you've already downloaded the new GB leak.

The info you'll need is at xda-developers, files and instructions. You'll have to register there, just like here.

cordsig79

May 23, 2011
Visit site
camera app is loud and cannot be turned off.............no more awkward photo ops with strangers.....

lots of app conflicts and freezing with new build out.

rizzman

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I am hoping that the rumors going around are true that this a leaked beta that came out. That at least gives us hope that someone is working to iron out these little kinks and hopefully release a quality gb rerelease for the device. One can only hope no?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I am hoping that the rumors going around are true that this a leaked beta that came out. That at least gives us hope that someone is working to iron out these little kinks and hopefully release a quality gb rerelease for the device. One can only hope no?

It definitely makes sense. It didn't come from T-Mobile, so I would think they will release one. Only early adopters and techies will be taking the plunge with this one, anyway. Too much work to get it for the majority of people out there.

lobobuzz

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the issue with the period is an actual bug vs. a function of the software. They simply never built the capability into the keyboard software. I use Swiftkey X and don't have that issue. I found Swiftkey much easier to use and configure.

Thanks for the recommendation with Swiftkey. I'll check it out. I'm just amazed that they did away with the space/period function as it was so handy. I've never had a mobile device without it. Again, thanks for the suggestion.

Rirruto

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance, but does upgrading the OS completely wipe your phone of its data? Meaning, will I have to redownload all my apps, make all the updates to my own settings, and basically re-establish everything? This is my first Android phone and I've never upgraded it before.I have a Moto Xoom but I updated the OS literally minutes out of the box and didn't have anything on it before updating so not sure how it worked. I upgraded my Blackberry's OS a bunch of times and always had to redownload my 3rd party apps and some other things that didn't carry over from the previous OS.

lobobuzz

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the recommendation with Swiftkey. I'll check it out. I'm just amazed that they did away with the space/period function as it was so handy. I've never had a mobile device without it. Again, thanks for the suggestion.

Tried out Swiftkey and problem solved... my space/period function is back again. Thanks a ton for the suggestion!!

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance, but does upgrading the OS completely wipe your phone of its data? Meaning, will I have to redownload all my apps, make all the updates to my own settings, and basically re-establish everything? This is my first Android phone and I've never upgraded it before.I have a Moto Xoom but I updated the OS literally minutes out of the box and didn't have anything on it before updating so not sure how it worked. I upgraded my Blackberry's OS a bunch of times and always had to redownload my 3rd party apps and some other things that didn't carry over from the previous OS.

Depends on how they packaged it. Most of the time no, but there's always that chance.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rirruto

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital