Hey look: engadget is reporting about the g2x quad band 3G issue

coolVariable

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
we're hearing (and have found in testing) that the G2x may not actually be a quad-band HSPA+ handset, and we're having trouble getting an unlocked version to connect to AT&T's 3G network.

Fact enough?
=> FALSE advertising by T-Mobile.

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Fact enough?
=> FALSE advertising by T-Mobile.

Damn...that sucks. Did they actually advertise that capability though. I don't remember seeing it.

In any case, If I was on T-Mobile, I couldn't get this phone knowing that if the merger goes through it'll pretty much be a brick as far as cellular data is concerned. :(

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
No. they are still testing and waiting on official word from LG or T-Mobile.

You handily left that part out of your excerpt.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

I already have official word from T-Mobile. The G2X is not designed or guaranteed to work on any other network, as stated on the product page.

going_home

Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!
Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I know I'm having reception issues with mine.
Will only go 2G or 4G, never seen a 3G icon.
Also its always on UMTS even when the 4G icon is displayed.
I've had it since the 20th and nothings changed, even when
I did a new sim card like tech support suggested.
Guess its going back soon, maybe try an exchange and see if that
fixes it. If not bring that one back too for a refund and wait for the
Sensation.

Oh, and,

in before the lock//

heheh

:confused:

going_home

Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!
Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
G2X = No 3G AT&T Bands

http://www.tmonews.com/2011/04/t-mobile-says-g2x-does-not-have-quadband-hspa-disappoints

The T-Mobile G2x fact sheet, attached http://stadium.weblogsinc.com/engadget/files/T-Mobile_G2x_with_Google_FactSheet_FINAL.pdf , contains accurate information. The T-Mobile website is incorrect and we’re working to correct it. The G2x supports 850/900/1800/1900 MHz for 2G/GPRS only, and supports 3G/4G UMTS/HSPA+ bands I and IV. The G2x does not support AT&T’s 3G bands. This banding is hardware based.

;)

dagaetch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
duty_calls.png

seriously...unless you have some piece of advertising that specifically says "able to work on AT&T 3g bands" just let it be. there's plenty of worse stuff that these companies get away with, see todays supreme court ruling for an example.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Yep I saw that too. Still scratching my head at the FCC filing, though. Pretty sure that says that the hardware supports ATT 3G bands. Oh well. Won't matter for a long while, anyway.

It probably does, but its probably locked down by way of software. (sort of like how RIM uses a pentaband radio but locks it in different configurations for different carriers)

Reactions: Kevin OQuinn

coolVariable

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Oh well. Won't matter for a long while, anyway.

I guess it won't matter ... unless you are a t-mobile customer who would get free roaming on att's 3g network. last i checked att's coverage was significantly wider.

And? Even if they were (which they weren't, because they never claimed it would work on AT&T's 3G network) ...

Nope. Was false advertising: They claimed on their website that it supported UMTS: 850/1900.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Nope. Was false advertising: They claimed on their website that it supported UMTS: 850/1900.

You don't understand what constitutes false advertising. T-mobile never said it would work on AT&T's network. They never claimed ANYTHING having to do with those frequencies. You assumed that because the phone supports them (which it does) that it would work on AT&T. It was YOUR mistake. (Verizon also offers phones that work on GSM, and no one would actually think they could use it on AT&T or T-mobile)

As I said earlier; you were within the 14 days when T-mobile gave their statement. If you didn't return it, you have no right whatsoever to claim false advertising.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I guess it won't matter ... unless you are a t-mobile customer who would get free roaming on att's 3g network. last i checked att's coverage was significantly wider.

If AT&T coverage is that much better for someone then why wouldn't they just switch to AT&T? If you need to rely on roaming for good signal and coverage then maybe that particular carrier isn't for you.

I'm not saying I go to any remote areas where only one carrier has coverage, but I've yet to go somewhere where I have no T-Mobile signal at all. Yeah I drop down to Edge, but that's not a big deal.

What I think they did with this phone is make it so that they can issue a software update to make those frequencies usable if/when the buyout happens.

And no it's not false advertising. They never said it will work on those frequencies, only that the phone supports them, which it does. I would say it's shady advertising at best.

Panick

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Did they ever say that the phone supports those frequencies or did people just assume? After all the LG Optimus 2X is a quad band phone and the G2X is essentially the same device with stock Android in place of the LG UI. But did T-mo have LG make a special version of the phone without the unnecessary radios or did T-Mo just lock out the radios that it didn't need? The latter seems more likely, IMO. It sounds like someone at T-Mo just did a cut and paste on the Optimus' spec sheet in the first round of G2X marketing.

ether813

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
At the end of day, anyone that is not happy with the phone should just return it. I still think that it is currently the best Android device available right now.

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Did they ever say that the phone supports those frequencies or did people just assume? After all the LG Optimus 2X is a quad band phone and the G2X is essentially the same device with stock Android in place of the LG UI. But did T-mo have LG make a special version of the phone without the unnecessary radios or did T-Mo just lock out the radios that it didn't need? The latter seems more likely, IMO. It sounds like someone at T-Mo just did a cut and paste on the Optimus' spec sheet in the first round of G2X marketing.

I was actually looking to switch to this phone because how awesome it is. If you look at the back of the box though, it shows that it supports all 4 different bands. Sadly though...it does not. So unless they did just lock them and a simple software update can unlock them, this device will not receive a cellular signal after the merger. :-(

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I was actually looking to switch to this phone because how awesome it is. If you look at the back of the box though, it shows that it supports all 4 different bands. Sadly though...it does not. So unless they did just lock them and a simple software update can unlock them, this device will not receive a cellular signal after the merger. :-(

I have faith that they will get unlocked if/when the buyout happens.

That's still years away, though.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I have faith that they will get unlocked if/when the buyout happens.

That's still years away, though.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

If that's the case, then as soon as I can convince Sprint that I need to be let out of contract because of all this mess....the G2X will be sitting in my pocket. Unless something brilliant drops on TMO before that. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1