Facebook contact photos not showing up for calls and texts

PhishShticks

Jul 19, 2010
www.mindoverminimal.com
Hey folks, just got my G2x and I love it, however, my Google contacts are linked correctly to their Facebook profiles and their pictures show up in the Contacts app, but are not appearing for incoming/outgoing calls and SMS/MMS messages.

Is this a known issue? I know of other devices having this issue as my Galaxy S used to do the same thing.

And before someone recommends that I use an app to sync the pictures to the Google contact entries, I do not wish to do that as it doesn't automatically update unless I ask it to and it's not a permanent fix. My Facebook friends change their profile pictures like wildfire and most apps I've tried in the past to circumvent the issue have failed to keep up.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edit: Op, please move this to the T-Mobile G2X section. I apologize! So many names for almost identical devices!

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It's not a bug. Google wants Facebook to be more open with sharing data through API's. So certain functionality was removed to try to force facebooks hand.

Third party manufacturer skins like sense build this functionality in.

I do the best I can with a third party app.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

PhishShticks

Jul 19, 2010
www.mindoverminimal.com
It's not a bug. Google wants Facebook to be more open with sharing data through API's. So certain functionality was removed to try to force facebooks hand.

Third party manufacturer skins like sense build this functionality in.

I do the best I can with a third party app.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

I see what you're saying. It's not considered a bug, but a removed feature due to API support on Facebook's end?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I see what you're saying. It's not considered a bug, but a removed feature due to API support on Facebook's end?

The API is still there for Google to use, they are just choosing not to use it. HTC, Samsung, Motorola, etc, are choosing TO use it which is why contacts still get integrated on phones that run their skins.

roachnerd3

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I have the Same Issue on my HTC Vivid. All of my contacts sync beautifully with facebook but there are a few that will not display a picture in the SMS/MMS application even when you change the contact image to one that is saved on the phone rather than Facebook's servers.

vagasso

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I'm just now noticing this issue - on any contact of mine that has a google+ account with photo and a fb account with photo, the g+ photo gets shown over the fb photo .. problem is that most of the people who use g+ do so very infrequently and their fb account all the time. Is there any way to get my GS3 to use the fb photo over the g+ photo?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo