Crashing and Master Reset question

dmasci

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Purchased my G2x 10 days ago. Crashes about once a day (goes dead with plenty of battery, needs battery pull to start up again). Contacted T-Mobile support who said I needed to do a master reset, thus losing apps, settings, etc. Anyone know if leaked Gingerbread update is helping this issue at all? Would rather not reset if I can avoid it.

benoit808

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
If you did not opt out of the Google backup, all your apps will be re-installed when you sign in with your Google account. You are right though that all the settings will be lost but this is the only thing I had to redo when doing the factory reset on mine.

I ended up exchanging mine yesterday because of that exact problem. The factory reset did not help at all. I've read in multiple forums (including this one) that you should just get it exchanged as it is a known issue with that phone. I've had the new one for only half a day but so far so good.

Sorry, I have no input on the Gingerbread thing though

dmasci

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that. I apologize as I'm an android newbie. I may have elected the Google backup but I don't recall. I'll have to check on that.

I may just do the exchange. I appreciate the feedback.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It's too soon to tell if the gingerbread leak fixes that or not.

Tomorrow is the earliest I would expect to hear that kind of feedback.

rcobourn

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Definitely exchange your phone. I was tempted to hang on until an update, but couldn't deal with the resets any longer. Had the replacement for a week now, and it has only rebooted spontaneously once, and came right back up.

I rooted and installed the gingerbread leak today (with some difficulty... install from recovery, not from Rom Manager, was the trick). Only been 3 hours, but I'm watching my battery indicator in amazement because it is clearly getting much better battery life.

dmasci

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all for the helpful replies. I did exchange on Friday, and so far so good.

Still looking forward to GB though...