Black screen whenever a call connects

tshire

May 9, 2011
Visit site
My G2x has the annoying habit of going to a black (or blank) screen as soon as a call connects. This happens even with a headset connected, nothing close to the proximity sensor, and the original screen protector. Consequently, the on-screen touch controls are unusable.

It is possible to reactivate the screen by touching a volume control button, but this strikes me as an ergonomic flaw. Does anyone know a simple workaround?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like a bug to me. Have you tried clearing data/cache under applications in the settings of the phone for the dialer app? If that doesn't work you might need to try a factory reset. Does it also happen after you restart the phone?

tshire

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I cleared the call log, but am not sure what you mean by 'the dialer app.' How do you clear its cache? Sorry, but I'm a bit of an Android newbie.

And yes, it still happens after rebooting. Am I correct in my understanding that the screen should go black only if something triggers the proximity sensor?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
yes or if it times out like normal. go to settings>applications>manage applications> click on "ALL">dialer>clear data

See if that helps.

tshire

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I cleared the cache (thanks for the instructions), but alas, the problem persists. I think I'll drop by a T-Mobile store next chance I get, and confirm that their demonstration phones act differently. I really don't want to reset the phone unless I absolutely have to.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
This happened to me with an incoming call tonight. The phone freaked out and went to a black screen, and then wouldn't unlock.

tshire

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I figured it out. The phone happens to be working correctly, because anytime a headset is plugged in, the screen will go black when a call connects.

Disconnect the wired headset, and if nothing is close to the proximity sensor, the screen will remain on. I haven't used a Bluetooth headset with this phone, but perhaps the designers worried that a Bluetooth headset and a pocketed phone with a live screen could cause problems.

It would be nice if there were a software option to allow the screen to stay 'live' whenever a headset is connected. In the meantime, I'll endure the minor annoyance of pressing a volume control button after a call connects in order to bring the display back.

rcobourn

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I figured it out. The phone happens to be working correctly, because anytime a headset is plugged in, the screen will go black when a call connects.

Disconnect the wired headset, and if nothing is close to the proximity sensor, the screen will remain on. I haven't used a Bluetooth headset with this phone, but perhaps the designers worried that a Bluetooth headset and a pocketed phone with a live screen could cause problems.

It would be nice if there were a software option to allow the screen to stay 'live' whenever a headset is connected. In the meantime, I'll endure the minor annoyance of pressing a volume control button after a call connects in order to bring the display back.

Check out an app called "Stay On" that might suit your purpose. I've been using it to keep the screen on when using a bluetooth headset, because ever since the leaked os, the audio pauses when the screen blanks.

tshire

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Rcobourn, I've been searching for the 'stay on' app, but can't seem to find it. Any chance you can post a link to it? Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22