Discontinuing the G2x?

ekz13

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the midst of shopping for a new carrier and am examining Tmo right now and was interested in the G2x (or the sensation) and while talking to the guy at the mall store (yep, strike 1)

I asked why his price was still 249 when others where offering it for 199, he said that they are unloading their stock and Tmo raised the price back up in order to sell off (makes no sense to me either, strike 2)

because they are pulling/discontinuing the G2x, I asked why (already knew about the software thing) and he said due to the reboot bug in the software and they can't fix it.

so, long story short (and yes I know, taken with a grain of salt) however, could there be some nugget of truth to this since they aren't showing on the Tmo site as available, and no one seems to be getting anymore in?

not trying to start any flame war, just making sure that I don't get into a phone that is toast two weeks after I get it.

thoughts?

on a side note, my kids use a rumor touch, and rumor, and both have been plagued with random reboots all the time. wonder if they are somehow connected on some basic chip/code level. oh and strike 3 was the guy telling me I'd be better off having a 5 or 10gb plan since both my kids use facebook ...wait...what?!?

Last edited:

rickm8384

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: Discontinuing the G2x

I just got off the phone with the contract department at T-Mobile. He confirmed that as of right now they are NO LONGER stocking the G2x. He said he had no further info regarding the future of the phone or the elusive update. He said that I would need to contact LG for that.

I am on the phone now with Robert from LG. He said not to worry because the phone is brand new. I pressed him for more details as I told him what T-Mobile had told me. He put me on hold and after a long time informed me that the reason T-Mobile is out of stock on the phone is because currently LG is not shipping the G2x until all the issues are fixed. Once they ship again, all new phones will have new software that supposedly will fix the problems. When I pressed him for details on the update he referred me back to T-Mobile.

I pushed him harder and told him that I was getting the run around because TMobile said to call LG and LG said to call T-Mobile. His answer was that he has no details regarding the update and if he were to tell me anything such as a date etc he would be lying to me.

I called TMobile back and spoke to the tech support department. Basically no one has any further information. The woman I spoke to could only speculate about when she though it would be released but there is no real information available.

I think it's time for a Corporate Email Carpet Bomb. For those of you who aren't familiar with the term it refers to writing an email to a long list of higher ups (names are all available on T-Mobile and LGs website). I am going to put together a list of the names and when I have it I will post it here so that we can all send an email to Tmo and LGE. When we right the letter we need to be very specific and say that we are not looking for the software to be pushed out before it's ready, rather we are just looking for an update to put the minds of the owners of this phone to rest.

What does everyone think? If I compile a list of names will everyone join me in sending the email out? If we band together as the owners of the G2x they won't have a choice but to answer us!

rickm8384

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: Discontinuing the G2x

The following info is from theconsumerist.com As of May of this year people were still getting results from using this list.

Tmobile
Stuart, Executive Assistant to the Vice President
1-877-290-6323 ext. 341-8025.

Glenn A. Zaccara
Sr. Manager, External Affairs
425-378-4982
glenn.zaccara@t-mobile.com

Michael Butler
Chief Marketing Officer
Michael.Butler@T-Mobile.com

Bryan L. Barkoff
T-Mobile Wireless
Regional Retail Manager
Detroit North
Office # 248.465.1756
Fax # 813.353.6711

Kelly Spindle
Executive Customer Relations Coordinator
T-Mobile USA
877-290-6323 Ex. 8082

Avelar, Mercedes
Mercedes.Avelar@T-Mobile.com'

Clelland, John
John.Clelland@T-Mobile.com

Carney, John
John.Carney@T-Mobile.com

Otley, Casey
Casey.Otley@T-Mobile.com

Brodman, Cole
Cole.Brodman@T-Mobile.com

Corporate Responsibility Department
corporate.responsibility@t-mobile.net

Deutsche Telekom AG (owns T-mobile)
Friedrich-Ebert-Allee 140
53113 Bonn, Germany
Fax: +49-228-181-8872
Festnetz - Mobilfunk - Internet - Fernsehen | Telekom

Investor Relations E-mail: investor.relations@telekom.de; investor.relations@usa.telekom.de

Other e-mails:
'hamid.akhavan@t-mobile.com'; 'michael.guenther@t-mobile.com'; 'rene.obermann@t-mobile.com'; 'robert.dotson@tmobile.com'; 'robert.dotson@t-mobile.com'; 'robert.p.dotson@t-mobile.com'; 'Kai-Uwe.Ricke@telekom.de'

T-Mobile International (T-Mobile's parent company)
Landgrabenweg 151
53227 Bonn, Germany
Fax: +49-228-936-31719
www.t-mobile-international.com

File a complaint against T-Mobile with the Washington State Attorney General's Office
[www.atg.wa.gov]

When you file this complaint, use this address for T-Mobile on the form:
T-Mobile USA, Inc.
12920 S.E. 38th St.
Bellevue, WA 98006

File a complaint with the New Mexico Attorney General's office
[www.ago.state.nm.us]

When you file this complaint, use this address for T-Mobile on the form:
T-Mobile
Customer Relations
PO Box 37380
Albuquerque, NM 87176-7380

"You can try dialing 1-877-290-6323 x341-8025 and changing the extension to do an EVCB (Exec. Voicemail carpet bomb) buy reducing the extension by 1 (i.e. 341-8024, 8023, 8022) so far i have been doing this and it seems to be connecting me to various executive customer relations personnel."

As for LGE:

It's a little more complicated. I didn't find an accurate list but I DID find a list of names. Also from my research and looking at the available email addresses on their website it looks like their corporate emails addresses are first.last@lge.com. Here is the list of names:

james.shad@lge.com
bradley.gambill@lge.com
thomas.linton@lge.com
didier.chenneveau@lge.com
peter.stickler@lge.com
david.jung@lge.com
woo.paik@lge.com
dermot.boden@lge.com
young.kim@lge.com
soon.kwan@lge.com
skott.ahn@lge.com
young.nam@lge.com
koo.bon-joon.lge.com
koo.bonjoon@lge.com
koo.joon@lge.com
elizabeth.latham@lge.com
john.taylor@lge.com
kim.regillio@lge.com
lgpr@lge.com
demetra.kavadeles@lge.com

I plan for my letter to be very short and too the point. What happened, what I want etc etc.

rickm8384

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Okay so I made my email to these addresses. It follows below with parts deleted for my privacy:

To Whom It May Concern,

My name is "Rick". I have been a T-Mobile customer for 2 years. Currently I am using a T-Mobile G2x and am plagued by the well documented problems that the G2x is known to have. Constant reboots, fast and unnecessary battery drain, screen color bleed, connection problems etc etc are all problems that are occurring on my phone. I have warrantied my phone once and am not interested in warrantying it again. I happen to love this phone. When it works, it is incredible. The look of it is excellent and the build quality is even better. I feel like I am holding a well put together piece of machinery, not a plastic shell holding some mechanical parts.

I know that these issues are set to be fixed in a coming update. The issue is that I have spoken with T-Mobile customer support, technical support and customer relations, as well as LGE technical support and have been given the run around regarding this update. T-Mobile tells me to call LG for info. LG tells me to call T-Mobile. NO one is willing to tell me what exactly is happening with this phone. At the same time, T-Mobile stops stocking the phone and LG stop shipping the phone to T-Mobile. As a customer that does not exactly make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside about this phone.

I am not asking for the update to be rushed out, and I am not asking for a new phone. What I am asking for is for LG and T-Mobile to make a joint statement telling all the G2x owners what exactly the status of the update is. What will this update include and a clear timeline for it's release. Not "it will be released soon" but rather "It will be released on....". That's all we are asking for and it's all we have been asking for. If the update will take a 6 months to a year, let us know so that we can stop dealing with the issues and move on to a new phone. Don't leave us hanging. It isn't fair to us as customers and it doesn't inspire our confidence in either of these companies.

Thank you for your kind attention and your anticipated help in this matter. I can be reached either at [NUMBER WITHHELD], or via email [WITHHELD].

Very truly yours,

[WITHHELD].

Of the 40 addresses I sent it to it failed to 21 of them. Not a bad percentage considering. Let's see what happens!

Wish me luck and I really recommend more people do this. If more of us do it, I think we will get a favorable response from both companies!

NOTE: This email has been sent to T-Mobile and LGE.

cordsig79

May 23, 2011
Visit site
wow, I am about 50 days of ownership and I dont think its right to have to root a phone to get more than 4 hours of battery life with screen and 4g running

I am all over this and trying to get caught up before I just go get a black berry again..

rickm8384

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
wow, I am about 50 days of ownership and I dont think its right to have to root a phone to get more than 4 hours of battery life with screen and 4g running

I am all over this and trying to get caught up before I just go get a black berry again..

Good news! Tmobile executive office already called me and told me they are researching my email and will be getting back to me shortly. Will update when I get more info. But more people should do this too.

rickm8384

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I just got off the phone with T-Mobile executive support. They re-fed me the same party line that I have heard from EVERY customer service rep before.

The interesting thing is what the DIDN'T say and what they didn't agree to. From the way the rep I spoke with (Stephanie) made it sound, the update is a long way off. She didn't even promise that there was an update coming. Her exact words were "If there even is an update, we still have to make sure it doesn't lock the phone".

She made it sound like I was being unreasonable in my request for more information and even told me that "thats why we give customers buyers remorse time." I told her that she should the reopen buyers remorse to ALL G2x owners so that they can choose a new working phone. She refused that offer and told me basically that I have to wait and see what happens.

For all of you who think the update is imminent...this phone call made me think otherwise. I still think more people should carpet bomb the executive offices at t-mobile. The more of us that do this, the more likely we will get info from them.

wezra

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
I pressed T-Mobile Customer Retention yesterday for a new phone (Sensation) and they said, "Absolutely not". I have been a customer for many, many years and the CS Rep was rude and crass. She said that only a few individuals are having issues with the G2x and the majority of owners are very happy. I laughed and said that if the phone were fine then why has it been pulled off the shelves in the company stores? She had no come back for that. They did offer to take mine back and send me, “a new one”. I asked if she could guarantee that I would not get a refurbished unit… she said that she couldn’t guarantee that. I then asked her why she said that would send me a, “new one”. She got totally flustered. I told her that I didn’t want someone else’s problem phone. The long and short is that she suggested I go to the T-Mobile store and buy a Sensation for $549! I asked if she had lost her mind!
The fact is that for the most part my G2x is fine. My problem is the Gingerbread update that may or may not come. I think that LG and T-Mobile need to step up to the plate and admit this phone has major issues and offer either a refund or replacement for those who have purchased them. Either that or consumers may have to file a class action against both parties for relief. I personally am going to file a complaint with my State Attorney Generals office and Office of Consumer Protection. Not that it will do any good… but at least it will be on file. This is the same thing that T-Mobile pulled with the original Cliq and the promised software updates that never came. I am also thinking of canceling my contract… paying the $200 and moving to Verizon… although their new plans stink! Guess you can’t win as a consumer.

rickm8384

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Wezra: Thats similar to what happened to me via "EXECUTIVE CUSTOMER SUPPORT". They told me in no way would they extend my buyers remorse to allow me to switch out of my G2x. They also claimed that I was one of few people complaining about the G2x. That they even have people in the rep I spoke to's department who have the phone and love it (don't you love when people use a logical fallacy to argue with you like appeal to the masses??). Now don't get me wrong, I love my G2x. However what I hate is that I have to run a custom ROM and Kernel to get it to run properly and that the battery life is miserable.

I can guarantee you that if you order a replacement it will be a referb as I spoke with LGE Customer service and they told me outright that they are not manufacturing the phone again until they have the software fixed. That's why TMO pulled the phone off shelves. Not because they didn't want to sell it, but because LGE stopped shipping it to them.

Try the mail bomb to customer service. Then see if executive cs does anything more for you than they did for me!

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
This is exactly what happened with the evo 4g, minus getting pulled off the shelf. Their were people that were extremely unhappy with the performance and battery life of the evo 4g, bit sprint wouldn't extend buyers remorse for them.

Custom rom/kernel combos will almost always get better performance and battery life than anything stock. I can't think of any phone where this isn't the case.

I don't think anything we do will get any different results from LG or T-Mobile.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

rickm8384

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I hear you...but i don't think I should have to load a custom rom and kernel just to get normal functioning out of my G2x. And even with, it still only functions perfectly around 50% of the time. I'm getting fed up with it already. The potential in the phone is unmatched by any other tmo phone right now and I just hate the fact that it doesn't work as well as it is supposed to.

Reactions: cordsig79

cordsig79

May 23, 2011
Visit site
This is exactly what happened with the evo 4g, minus getting pulled off the shelf. Their were people that were extremely unhappy with the performance and battery life of the evo 4g, bit sprint wouldn't extend buyers remorse for them.

Custom rom/kernel combos will almost always get better performance and battery life than anything stock. I can't think of any phone where this isn't the case.

I don't think anything we do will get any different results from LG or T-Mobile.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

So for now all I can do is "root" my phone but it voids warranty correct? And what if any additional battery time does it buy me?

I can spend 200 bucks to dump Tmobile over this for Spring, or Verizon, or hell even Apple maybe my next try........again this is my first new phone in 5-6 years.

They did say I could still switch to a Free blackberry if I wanted...............which is the world I came from before..........so I do have an out there and unlimited BB data etc for the same price on the current plan.

rickm8384

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Listen, this thread was not in any way meant to be a knock against Tmobile or Android. Any Android phone is far and away better than Blackberry. And T-Mobile is simply the most inexpensive service money can buy. Your best bet is to root and get a custom ROM and Kernel (yes it voids your warranty but if you look online, unrooting is simple, and there is virtually no way to detect that the phone was ever rooted in the first place! I my self have swapped out 3 rooted phones via warranty and never had an issue so long as I unrooted before sending them back). I recommend Ultimate G2x (even though the dev quit the job) and FAUX Kernel. Instructions for all are located on this forum or over at XDA.

necorbin

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
They are not actually discontinuing the G2X... As you and a lot of other customers (me included)found, there are some issues with the phone.

I myself went through 3 of them... The first one worked PERFECTLY fine, then one day, it said checking for system update, then locked up and boot looped.

The second one would powercycle any time I connected it to a car charger.

But the 3rd one (knock on wood) has run PERFECTLY fine since I got it a week ago...

T-Mobile actually heard the disgruntled customers LOUD and clear, and decided to take the step to pull all G2Xs from inventory, until they get the Gingerbread update out....

It does suck, but they are working hard to get all the issues worked out.

rizzman

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I too am desperately waiting for this elusive GB update that is supposed to roll out. Boy I am really regretting getting this device. For me even if the GB rolls out tomorrow I would not be able to get it due to an "authentication error" when I try to run the phone to look for an update. Why oh why did I just not wait for the sensation. My first shot whit Android and TMO and very disappointed indeed.:(

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I'm cool I use froyo for my daily driver and I'm rooted so if I want to test anything ill just load up a gingerbread based build. But I'm very happy this is the best phone I've had and I've had the d1/2 fascinate droid incredible 2 and this. Voice quality is good I don't have any crappy skins that rob my phone of performance and its open

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool