Google Services bad battery drain. Please Help.

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
a few recommendations:

1. you need to completely shut down all your usage and rerun this diagnosic overnight. Your usage of apps and the phone is cluttering the results. So charge your phone up completely before going to bed, then put it in Airplane mode or just have the cell reception on (turn all other data & wifi radios and apps off), and let the diagnostic/logger run overnight. Then give us another screenshot.

2. what's pulse? Whatever it is, don't actively use it while you run the diagnostic overnight. If pulse is passive, then let it go, it might be the culprit too.

3. based on the link I provided earlier, you can start disabling stock Samsung and T-Mobile bloatware apps, and other suggestion mentioned in the thread.

Yeah I'm not going to root. I'll make sure to take another screen shot tomorrow. Since I already used my Note 2 for about 20 mins today. Only for Pulse but I understand that can mess up the report.

I just want to thank you for you're help. I'll make a reminder to take a screen as soon as I wake up.

Also when you disable bloatware you can re inable it right? I think I'll disable the Google Music and Play Books, ect.

I did try one thing though. Last night I deleted Google play Services cache and the Data then I uninstalled it. Then Google hangouts popped up saying I need Google play services, ect. So I reinstalled it and it seems it's using a little bit less battery overnight.

When I woke up today I looked at my stock battery monitor and it wasn't above Android OS. Most ever other time it's far above it. This time Google Services was 2% below it at 28% and Android OS was at 30%

But I did restart my Note 2 and from all the testing I've done when I restart my Note 2 before I fully charge it. I always get better battery life. Ever since 4.1.2 anyway. Back on 4.1.1 I could leave my Note 2 on for a week and everything would run as normal.

I also have screen shots back from 4.1.1 with my battery going on 5+ hours of on screen time with 40% battery easily left to go.

OK I'm ranting now sorry about that and I'll get back to you. You can always PM me as well and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Again, thanks for all the help.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I just turned off Google Now. I didn't realize Google Now was just for the cards. I thought with Google Now off. I couldn't use the search. I'll see how this goes for a while. I guess I don't really need to set reminders and get cards telling me how long of a drive I have to get home and good photo spots in my area, ect.

It was very nice to have most of the time but if the battery life change is going to be this big I guess I can go without it.

prepaidguy9081

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I'm not going to root. I'll make sure to take another screen shot tomorrow. Since I already used my Note 2 for about 20 mins today. Only for Pulse but I understand that can mess up the report.

I just want to thank you for you're help. I'll make a reminder to take a screen as soon as I wake up.

Also when you disable bloatware you can re inable it right? I think I'll disable the Google Music and Play Books, ect.

I did try one thing though. Last night I deleted Google play Services cache and the Data then I uninstalled it. Then Google hangouts popped up saying I need Google play services, ect. So I reinstalled it and it seems it's using a little bit less battery overnight.

When I woke up today I looked at my stock battery monitor and it wasn't above Android OS. Most ever other time it's far above it. This time Google Services was 2% below it at 28% and Android OS was at 30%

But I did restart my Note 2 and from all the testing I've done when I restart my Note 2 before I fully charge it. I always get better battery life. Ever since 4.1.2 anyway. Back on 4.1.1 I could leave my Note 2 on for a week and everything would run as normal.

I also have screen shots back from 4.1.1 with my battery going on 5+ hours of on screen time with 40% battery easily left to go.

OK I'm ranting now sorry about that and I'll get back to you. You can always PM me as well and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Again, thanks for all the help.

How are you going to disable bloatware or any app without root access for titanium backup?

I use that to freeze gmail app as I use the email app to handle multiple accts.

I am rooted and on a custum rom.
I am at 41% after 24 hours.
I run jedix rom
Perseus kernel
And greenify and cpu master
My cpu runs at 800mhz when the acreen is not on, unless its charging, then its 1400mhz and screen on is 1600mhz [I dont overclock]

16h 6m 45sec on batt
37% screen
9% google services
8% android os
8% system idle
6% cell standby
6% maps
5% android core apps
5% tapatalk hd
5% pulse

Im wondering why next launcher and live walpaper arnt listed unless those are core apps?

I have screen set to dynamic
I have every sesor on and every motion enabled
Bluetooth and wifi stay on
Data and cell always on
Roming enabled
Svoice added back to jedix rom and wakeup commands enabled.

Basicly every option I can find is on.
except for battery saver lol thats off.

Sbeam and nfc is on too.

So there is my argument for root and rom.

But I understand if you dobt want to, some people want to stay stock.

But if I may ask, why do you not want to? If your wprried about a brick, then you should know this phones super easy to do.

Now warrenty cant help you there lol.

So do you know of another way to disable apps? Without root?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk HD

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
How are you going to disable bloatware or any app without root access for titanium backup?

I use that to freeze gmail app as I use the email app to handle multiple accts.

I am rooted and on a custum rom.
I am at 41% after 24 hours.
I run jedix rom
Perseus kernel
And greenify and cpu master
My cpu runs at 800mhz when the acreen is not on, unless its charging, then its 1400mhz and screen on is 1600mhz [I dont overclock]

16h 6m 45sec on batt
37% screen
9% google services
8% android os
8% system idle
6% cell standby
6% maps
5% android core apps
5% tapatalk hd
5% pulse

Im wondering why next launcher and live walpaper arnt listed unless those are core apps?

I have screen set to dynamic
I have every sesor on and every motion enabled
Bluetooth and wifi stay on
Data and cell always on
Roming enabled
Svoice added back to jedix rom and wakeup commands enabled.

Basicly every option I can find is on.
except for battery saver lol thats off.

Sbeam and nfc is on too.

So there is my argument for root and rom.

But I understand if you dobt want to, some people want to stay stock.

But if I may ask, why do you not want to? If your wprried about a brick, then you should know this phones super easy to do.

Now warrenty cant help you there lol.

So do you know of another way to disable apps? Without root?

The reason I don't want to root and ROM is because I can't have the downtime on my device. I also need WiFi calling in some areas.

But it's mainly because I don't find the need to. Well the only reason I would need to is to get this Google Services issue taken care of.

If I didn't need this line to be up 24 hours a day for phone calls and text then I might consider rooting/roming but I in fact do need this line up 24/7.

I also was wondering how much screen time you have on you're device when you posted the stats above? And where did you get those from, the battery list in Android settings or from another app, if another app. What app did you use to post the stats?

Thanks

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
This is from the last charge about 19 hours ago.

I have been using my Note 2 for about 2 and a half hours. So that's why things look different as far as Google Services not being on the top of the drain list. I also want to note my screen has been on dim around 30% (give or take) brightness on the slider.

https://www.box.com/s/4tl6wa1dvl326d6mge3b

https://www.box.com/s/8i8l8znledp5e48inyj2

They are from the stock battery list as you can see. I'm just wondering what input you might have and if that's good or bad or whatever.

prepaidguy9081

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

I have been using my Note 2 for about 2 and a half hours. So that's why things look different as far as Google Services not being on the top of the drain list. I also want to note my screen has been on dim around 30% (give or take) brightness on the slider.

They are from the stock battery list as you can see. I'm just wondering what input you might have and if that's good or bad or whatever.

Ur google services seems a little higher % than mine. But I also have gmail frozen.

I dont know what u could do stock non rooted to increase batt life. All my tricks require root.

The only thing I can think of is turn off data while ur asleep.

Or hit airplain mode then turn on wifi, since ur stock tmobile wifi calling will be enabled. Thats if ur around wifi. I would assume wifi is less taxing than cell covrage but I am not sure on that. The only reason I assume that is distance from signal and dcb lvls

Internet_Tough_Guy

May 14, 2013
Visit site

20 hours on the battery at 58% left..that's not bad. I use "wakelock detector" app which details how many times a certain app turned on both actively and passively. Can you provide a screenshot of your "detector" app so we can see what is waking up your phone? you can always download "wakelock detector" and run the same overnight diagnostic.

the stock battery monitor is still too cluttered and you want to see what is the item that is consistently turning on or running. Those detector apps provide more detailed look.

fd501

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
By any chance, do you have Google Voice? The same thing happened to me today (I believe after installing Google Voice). I have uninstalled Google Voice, and my Google Services usage has gone down from 53% to 49%. Battery life still isn't great, but the Google Services usage has gone down.

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
no I dont have google voice. I will try a wakelock app but on avg I get about 15min of google services keeping my phone awake.

I did re inable google now as well just for reminders. I also did try cpuspy and my Note 2 is in deep sleep for 80 to 90 percent of the night. So thats good.. I will try to get a screen of the wakelocks from google services when I wake up.

I guess the main thing Im trying to figure out is why google services runs on the top of my stock battery meter and doesnt for other people with the same device and settings Im using. But I guess my battery drain isnt that bad overall. typing from my xbox sorry..

prepaidguy9081

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Jedi master rom is tmobile bassed and has wifi calling included.

You can use and old phone with ur sim

Itll take about 10 mins to root n rom

But I understand the issue.

If u disable google services alot of other things wont work tho.

Double0EK

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I noticed on my T889 that Google Music constantly stays on. I uninstalled the update and disabled it. It made a tremendous difference for my phone.

T889 not rooted. Updated to the latest firmware.

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
It's not like I can't make it through the day. But like I said before, I'm just trying to figure out why Google Services never even came up on my battery monitor before then around the time of Google I/O it started happening and look at it now.

As for the Google Play Music. It doesn't use any of my battery at all really. It is always running in the background though, but that's how it is for everyone. I don't have it synced anyway. I also don't have allot of things checked to sync since I just use this gmail account on this single device and on my PC with drive. That's about it though.

So how do the screens look? Anyone see anything bad?

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I have been watching GSam battery monitor over the last few days and with Google Now on ect.. I get about 16 to 20 hours of battery life with very light use then after that I'm at about 75% give or take. I then can use my device with very heavy use and get about 4 hours of on screen time before I hit 30% battery life.

That is on Wi-Fi though so if I'm out you can cut that stand by time down to a lower amount. Let's say 12 to 14 hours then 4 to 5 hours on screen.

If I take my Note 2 right off the charger, let it sit maybe an hour or so. I get about 6 hours of on screen time before I hit 30%, I always measure using the 90% to 30% since when I first wake up that's what my Note 2 is at or at least close to it. And 30% because there are things you can't do once you hit 30% and you want to either save as much battery from that point as you can with light use or charge it. I tend to charge it before I hit 30% though anyway. Most days I charge it at 40% but I've been using my Note 2 more lately and the battery drain issue due to Google Services has caused more drain.

I will say though. With car chargers and the big battery in this device. It would be hard to let you're Note 2's battery die.

Anyway that's my report I hope you check out the screens I posted last night. I notice no one has responded to them.

crystinonfire

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
If you click on "manage" it should take you to a specific google service. Once mine took me to "bookmark sync," which i promptly disabled. Other times it takes me to different things, like play store or contacts. You never know which particular google service is the culprit unless you check.

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
If you click on "manage" it should take you to a specific google service. Once mine took me to "bookmark sync," which i promptly disabled. Other times it takes me to different things, like play store or contacts. You never know which particular google service is the culprit unless you check.

Yeah I noticed that as well. I find that with bookmark sync disabled it did help a little.

Right now all I have enabled is Drive, Internet, Calendar, Gmail and Chrome. I don't use the chrome browser though since it is much more taxing then the stock browser and all of my bookmarks sync with it anyway..

I might disable Chrome sync but it doesn't seem to cause any issues. I also will start to enable some of the other sync option's. Such as my tracks, ect. Slowly and see what happens. It seems contacts sync and Google Plus sync are the two biggest concern as battery drain goes.

But I will give them a try again one at a time and see what happens.

I just wish Google would optimize there services for battery life. Mainly Google Now and Google Map's. It would be nice if location history and automatically report from this device wouldn't put so much extra battery drain on top of the battery drain Google Now drains.

Like maybe at the least add options for the location history in maps to give three levels of accuracy. Or just change it all together so that wouldn't even have to be there and only make it so very large movements would wake it. That way if you're just walking around your house or to you're friends house two houses down the street it wouldn't even wake it and track it.

I would like to use the location history settings but it's really just to taxing on the battery's stand by time and overall use.

I really just can't wait for battery technology to allow charging over Wifi. That would change the way our devices are used since there are Wifi hotspots every where. As well as battery's getting smaller but with higher MAH. Those two things will be a godsend.

But in the mean time. Google needs to work on the battery drain there services cause and optimize them to the best of there extent. That alone would help with allot of things. Right now if you read posts on any forum battery life is more important then power now that everyone is running quad core chips and great video processors.

Battery life is now what having the most powerful processor was.

crystinonfire

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Right now all I have enabled is Drive, Internet, Calendar, Gmail and Chrome. I don't use the chrome browser though since it is much more taxing then the stock browser and all of my bookmarks sync with it anyway..

having Drive synced will eat your battery. the android central app is actually another wakelock culprit.

Internet_Tough_Guy

May 14, 2013
Visit site
so it looks like a lot has happened since that last time I gave my recommendations. Did you turn off the location reporting features and Google Now notification cards?

Again, here are threads I used to diagnose the Google Now and Google Maps drain issues, for me Maps was waking up my phone (including Airplane Mode) 300+ times in an 8 hour span regardless of data connection.

1. http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-2/278319-need-help-note-2-battery.html
2. http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...84-how-maximize-battery-life-my-note-2-a.html

I realize that these items are not a one-size fit all solutions. Every user have different Google services needs and usage. For me, I don't sync anything with Google services. And I disabled a lot of the T-Mobile and Samsung stock bloatware.

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
so it looks like a lot has happened since that last time I gave my recommendations. Did you turn off the location reporting features and Google Now notification cards?

Again, here are threads I used to diagnose the Google Now and Google Maps drain issues, for me Maps was waking up my phone (including Airplane Mode) 300+ times in an 8 hour span regardless of data connection.

1. http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-2/278319-need-help-note-2-battery.html
2. http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...84-how-maximize-battery-life-my-note-2-a.html

I realize that these items are not a one-size fit all solutions. Every user have different Google services needs and usage. For me, I don't sync anything with Google services. And I disabled a lot of the T-Mobile and Samsung stock bloatware.

I did turn off Google Now but I turned it back on. I think I'm getting pretty good battery life now.

I have report from this device un checked and location history off. The only Google Now cards I have on are birthdays, reminders and that's it I think. Same with notifications.

I don't sync Google+ , Apps, ect..

I can easily make it through the day and night before I hit 30% with about 4 hours of screen time on. Depending on what I'm doing.

Google services still wakes my Note 2 allot but I guess that's just how it's going to be.

Thanks again.