07-09-2013 02:00 AM
39 12
tools
    I've been having this issue with Google Services eating up my battery. It started right after the Google I/O event.

It really is draining the life right out of my Note 2. Let's say I charge my Note 2 about 3 hours later Google Services is at the top of the battery meter in settings at 45% and the closest thing to it is Android OS at 18%.

I haven't heard anyone really say anything about this issue. At least here in the T-Mobile Note 2 section.

If anyone knows a way I can fix this please tell me or help me out. I'm running out of options here. I have seen this issue before and have seen it talked about on the S4 and Nexus phone section.

Should I waste the time on a factory reset? I've heard others say they have tried that and it doesn't work. Anyway please help me, please.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    06-16-2013 03:39 AM
    I've been having this issue with Google Services eating up my battery. It started right after the Google I/O event.

It really is draining the life right out of my Note 2. Let's say I charge my Note 2 about 3 hours later Google Services is at the top of the battery meter in settings at 45% and the closest thing to it is Android OS at 18%.

I haven't heard anyone really say anything about this issue. At least here in the T-Mobile Note 2 section.

If anyone knows a way I can fix this please tell me or help me out. I'm running out of options here. I have seen this issue before and have seen it talked about on the S4 and Nexus phone section.

Should I waste the time on a factory reset? I've heard others say they have tried that and it doesn't work. Anyway please help me, please.

After that 3 hours what percentage is your battery?

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    06-16-2013 03:55 AM
    My battery percentage is at about 95% if I restar my Note 2 before I charge it.

But if I don't restart my Note 2 before I charge it up it will drop down to about 90% in 3 hours of it just sitting there.

I'll do another test tonight when I charge my Note 2 and let you know. I'll charge it without restarting it and give you the % after 3 hours then again when I wake up in the morning.

06-17-2013 01:59 AM
    My battery percentage is at about 95% if I restar my Note 2 before I charge it.

But if I don't restart my Note 2 before I charge it up it will drop down to about 90% in 3 hours of it just sitting there.

I'll do another test tonight when I charge my Note 2 and let you know. I'll charge it without restarting it and give you the % after 3 hours then again when I wake up in the morning.

But I don't understand the problem. If after 3 hours you have only dropped 5 or 10% you are on track to have well over a full days worth of battery. 45% of 5% of used battery is minuscule usage.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    06-17-2013 02:08 AM
    I should add that I did install GSam Battery stats and CPU spy.

I also took a few things off of sync. I had play music, ect off sync but now I removed people updates, Google+, contacts...

The only things I have checked to sync are Gmail, Calendar, Drive and maybe one other thing as before in a thread I was reading about someone with a S4 is having this same issue with Google Services. I was told removing contacts sync and Google+ really helped him. But then he did a rectory reset and it came back anyway. That's why I haven't done one yet. I hear it doesn't help at all.

06-17-2013 02:09 AM
    this problem isn't unique to the T-Mobile version of the phone, I've had the same issues and I was able to resolve it by reading these forums:

1. http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...2-battery.html
    2. http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...-note-2-a.html

I have a T-Mobile GN2 btw
    06-17-2013 08:44 AM
    OK cool. I'll turn off all cards to start with.

06-18-2013 12:28 AM
    If I try to turn off all cards it says it's turning off Google Now. So I just turned off most of them.

Also after my Note 2 being on for 16 hours I'm at 81% that was without restarting it before I charged it and I've been on Wi-Fi the whole time.

My samsung SGH-T889 battery averages 1d 23h 47m (12h 32m 0s active usage) on a single charge. Check out GSam Battery Monitor: - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.gsamlabs.bbm #badassbattery
    06-18-2013 12:35 AM
    https://www.box.com/s/ekawuatg7610c1u8huc4

That's a screen I just took. Not sure if it's worth anything or will tell you anything.

06-18-2013 12:49 AM
    My major issue was Google maps not Google now
    06-18-2013 07:42 AM
    Mine was Google maps too. It's now Google services. I guess if it's not one thing it's another.

I just don't get how Google hasn't fixed this.

06-18-2013 10:42 PM
    So after 3 hours right off the charger with allot of use. 2 hours 45 minutes of on screen time. I was down to 73% or so.

Last night leaving it alone as I slept it dropped to 89%. The main issue is still Google Services. Like why Google Services is acting the way it is.

I just hope they figure it out because it seems no one here has or fully understands why Google Services is draining so much battery.

Maybe Google hasn't talked about this issue because they don't know what happened as well. It would be nice to at least hear they are working on a fix and are sorry about the battery drain.

06-19-2013 04:21 AM
    Dial *#9900# and click on delete dumstate/logcat
    Lemme know if it helps

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app
    06-19-2013 04:29 AM
    If I try to turn off all cards it says it's turning off Google Now. So I just turned off most of them.

Also after my Note 2 being on for 16 hours I'm at 81% that was without restarting it before I charged it and I've been on Wi-Fi the whole time.

My samsung SGH-T889 battery averages 1d 23h 47m (12h 32m 0s active usage) on a single charge. Check out GSam Battery Monitor: - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.gsamlabs.bbm #badassbattery
    At this point, if you don't use the cards, just turn "Google Now" completely off
    06-19-2013 07:25 AM
    My major issue was Google maps not Google now
    Try a custum rom
    Try rooting and cutti g down max processor to half when screen is ofd
    Try the greenify app [hybernater, not killer]

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk HD
    06-19-2013 08:26 AM
    Try a custum rom
    Try rooting and cutti g down max processor to half when screen is ofd
    Try the greenify app [hybernater, not killer]

thanks for the suggestion. No need for this IMO. After turning off the location reporting settings in Google Maps (which doesn't adversely effect how the app works), I got a significant improvement of battery life. I can stretch usage out to 3 days now on a single charge.

For OP's benefit, I also disables Google Now completely (doesn't adversely effect the voice search feature), and disabled most of my Samsung and T-Mobile bloatware. I also never update all bloatware software. All this literally completely changed my battery life for the better.
    06-19-2013 10:07 AM
    https://www.box.com/s/ekawuatg7610c1u8huc4

That's a screen I just took. Not sure if it's worth anything or will tell you anything.

a few recommendations:

1. you need to completely shut down all your usage and rerun this diagnosic overnight. Your usage of apps and the phone is cluttering the results. So charge your phone up completely before going to bed, then put it in Airplane mode or just have the cell reception on (turn all other data & wifi radios and apps off), and let the diagnostic/logger run overnight. Then give us another screenshot.

2. what's pulse? Whatever it is, don't actively use it while you run the diagnostic overnight. If pulse is passive, then let it go, it might be the culprit too.

3. based on the link I provided earlier, you can start disabling stock Samsung and T-Mobile bloatware apps, and other suggestion mentioned in the thread.
    06-19-2013 10:17 AM
    a few recommendations:

1. you need to completely shut down all your usage and rerun this diagnosic overnight. Your usage of apps and the phone is cluttering the results. So charge your phone up completely before going to bed, then put it in Airplane mode or just have the cell reception on (turn all other data & wifi radios and apps off), and let the diagnostic/logger run overnight. Then give us another screenshot.

2. what's pulse? Whatever it is, don't actively use it while you run the diagnostic overnight. If pulse is passive, then let it go, it might be the culprit too.

3. based on the link I provided earlier, you can start disabling stock Samsung and T-Mobile bloatware apps, and other suggestion mentioned in the thread.
    Puls is a news fees app.
    It downloads when u open app only I belive. And then only the genre of news ur looking at.

06-19-2013 05:55 PM
    Yeah pulse is fine. I was on it for a while getting my news that's why it was up there

06-20-2013 12:04 AM
    Double Post, Delete.

06-20-2013 12:06 AM
    a few recommendations:

Yeah I'm not going to root. I'll make sure to take another screen shot tomorrow. Since I already used my Note 2 for about 20 mins today. Only for Pulse but I understand that can mess up the report.

I just want to thank you for you're help. I'll make a reminder to take a screen as soon as I wake up.

Also when you disable bloatware you can re inable it right? I think I'll disable the Google Music and Play Books, ect.

I did try one thing though. Last night I deleted Google play Services cache and the Data then I uninstalled it. Then Google hangouts popped up saying I need Google play services, ect. So I reinstalled it and it seems it's using a little bit less battery overnight.

When I woke up today I looked at my stock battery monitor and it wasn't above Android OS. Most ever other time it's far above it. This time Google Services was 2% below it at 28% and Android OS was at 30%

But I did restart my Note 2 and from all the testing I've done when I restart my Note 2 before I fully charge it. I always get better battery life. Ever since 4.1.2 anyway. Back on 4.1.1 I could leave my Note 2 on for a week and everything would run as normal.

I also have screen shots back from 4.1.1 with my battery going on 5+ hours of on screen time with 40% battery easily left to go.

OK I'm ranting now sorry about that and I'll get back to you. You can always PM me as well and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Again, thanks for all the help.

06-20-2013 12:24 AM
    I just turned off Google Now. I didn't realize Google Now was just for the cards. I thought with Google Now off. I couldn't use the search. I'll see how this goes for a while. I guess I don't really need to set reminders and get cards telling me how long of a drive I have to get home and good photo spots in my area, ect.

It was very nice to have most of the time but if the battery life change is going to be this big I guess I can go without it.

06-20-2013 12:36 AM
    Yeah I'm not going to root. I'll make sure to take another screen shot tomorrow. Since I already used my Note 2 for about 20 mins today. Only for Pulse but I understand that can mess up the report.

I just want to thank you for you're help. I'll make a reminder to take a screen as soon as I wake up.

Also when you disable bloatware you can re inable it right? I think I'll disable the Google Music and Play Books, ect.

I did try one thing though. Last night I deleted Google play Services cache and the Data then I uninstalled it. Then Google hangouts popped up saying I need Google play services, ect. So I reinstalled it and it seems it's using a little bit less battery overnight.

When I woke up today I looked at my stock battery monitor and it wasn't above Android OS. Most ever other time it's far above it. This time Google Services was 2% below it at 28% and Android OS was at 30%

But I did restart my Note 2 and from all the testing I've done when I restart my Note 2 before I fully charge it. I always get better battery life. Ever since 4.1.2 anyway. Back on 4.1.1 I could leave my Note 2 on for a week and everything would run as normal.

I also have screen shots back from 4.1.1 with my battery going on 5+ hours of on screen time with 40% battery easily left to go.

OK I'm ranting now sorry about that and I'll get back to you. You can always PM me as well and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Again, thanks for all the help.

How are you going to disable bloatware or any app without root access for titanium backup?

I use that to freeze gmail app as I use the email app to handle multiple accts.

I am rooted and on a custum rom.
    I am at 41% after 24 hours.
    I run jedix rom
    Perseus kernel
    And greenify and cpu master
    My cpu runs at 800mhz when the acreen is not on, unless its charging, then its 1400mhz and screen on is 1600mhz [I dont overclock]

16h 6m 45sec on batt
    37% screen
    9% google services
    8% android os
    8% system idle
    6% cell standby
    6% maps
    5% android core apps
    5% tapatalk hd
    5% pulse

Im wondering why next launcher and live walpaper arnt listed unless those are core apps?

I have screen set to dynamic
    I have every sesor on and every motion enabled
    Bluetooth and wifi stay on
    Data and cell always on
    Roming enabled
    Svoice added back to jedix rom and wakeup commands enabled.

Basicly every option I can find is on.
    except for battery saver lol thats off.

Sbeam and nfc is on too.

So there is my argument for root and rom.

But I understand if you dobt want to, some people want to stay stock.

But if I may ask, why do you not want to? If your wprried about a brick, then you should know this phones super easy to do.

Now warrenty cant help you there lol.

So do you know of another way to disable apps? Without root?

06-20-2013 12:40 AM
    How are you going to disable bloatware or any app without root access for titanium backup?

I use that to freeze gmail app as I use the email app to handle multiple accts.

I am rooted and on a custum rom.
    I am at 41% after 24 hours.
    I run jedix rom
    Perseus kernel
    And greenify and cpu master
    My cpu runs at 800mhz when the acreen is not on, unless its charging, then its 1400mhz and screen on is 1600mhz [I dont overclock]

16h 6m 45sec on batt
    37% screen
    9% google services
    8% android os
    8% system idle
    6% cell standby
    6% maps
    5% android core apps
    5% tapatalk hd
    5% pulse

Im wondering why next launcher and live walpaper arnt listed unless those are core apps?

I have screen set to dynamic
    I have every sesor on and every motion enabled
    Bluetooth and wifi stay on
    Data and cell always on
    Roming enabled
    Svoice added back to jedix rom and wakeup commands enabled.

Basicly every option I can find is on.
    except for battery saver lol thats off.

Sbeam and nfc is on too.

So there is my argument for root and rom.

But I understand if you dobt want to, some people want to stay stock.

But if I may ask, why do you not want to? If your wprried about a brick, then you should know this phones super easy to do.

Now warrenty cant help you there lol.

So do you know of another way to disable apps? Without root?

The reason I don't want to root and ROM is because I can't have the downtime on my device. I also need WiFi calling in some areas.

But it's mainly because I don't find the need to. Well the only reason I would need to is to get this Google Services issue taken care of.

If I didn't need this line to be up 24 hours a day for phone calls and text then I might consider rooting/roming but I in fact do need this line up 24/7.

I also was wondering how much screen time you have on you're device when you posted the stats above? And where did you get those from, the battery list in Android settings or from another app, if another app. What app did you use to post the stats?

Thanks

06-20-2013 02:52 AM
    This is from the last charge about 19 hours ago.

I have been using my Note 2 for about 2 and a half hours. So that's why things look different as far as Google Services not being on the top of the drain list. I also want to note my screen has been on dim around 30% (give or take) brightness on the slider.

https://www.box.com/s/4tl6wa1dvl326d6mge3b

https://www.box.com/s/8i8l8znledp5e48inyj2

They are from the stock battery list as you can see. I'm just wondering what input you might have and if that's good or bad or whatever.

06-20-2013 03:13 AM
39 12