Procedures to backup ROM/kernel/radio from Note 2...?

Mike Lang1

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I like to do a complete back up of my stock Note 2 before I change anything.
Are the following procedures enough?

1) use CF-autoroot to root it
2) install CWM or TWRP (with either Odin or Rom Manager or Rom Toolbox)
3) do Nandroid backup (this will backup ROM+kernel, but not the radio/modem)
4) backup /efs with 'dd' command from a terminal shell prompt on Note 2 ( save everything from /dev/block/mmcblk0p3)
5) backup radio/modem with 'dd' command from a terminal shell prompt on Note 2 (save everything from /dev/block/mmcblk0p10)

I like to do this so that in the future I can restore it to the exact state as it is today (same ROM/kernel/radio/modem).
I'm still not sure how to restore /efs and radio/modem if I want to? Do I just 'dd' back from the saved image file?
Something like 'dd if=<my_save_img> of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3' (to restore /efs)? Please advise.

Did I miss anything? Are the procedures correct?
Thank you very much for any comment/input.

mike

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hello Mike!

Your procedure sounds great. I would however exclude the backups of the /dev/blocks/ unless you really want to. Performing the Nandroid backup from either TWRP or CWM will backup all you need including /System and /Data. Basically its an exact image of your device at that point in time, minus the radio as you mentioned.

Time comes down the road you wanted to restore everything back to the way it was you can restore your Nandroid backup and there is most likely either a flashable radio "zip" file or using Odin, file to flash the radio if you changed that.

If you ever did come to the point of doing a complete restore to factory stock, say to have warranty work done or sell the device you will be using Odin with the complete " TAR " package to restore the device which will reset everything including radio-modem and anything else that you changed during rooting and running custom ROMs.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
No problem. Yeah I think you do the normal Nandroid and also backup any contents on your sdcard (internal storage) you will be okay.

Have fun and good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool