SD Card issues - Any help is much appreciated!

ji_mestone

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
So I'm not the most tech-savvy person out there, but I do feel like after enough time on google I'm able to fix any problems I have, but I cannot solve this one. Here is the situation:

I noticed about 3 or 4 weeks ago my phone (Samsung Galaxy S 4G) would randomly turn off, maybe once or twice a week. When it rebooted, all of my apps on the SD card would not work. On the desktop screen, shortcuts were replaced by the generic green Android icon, and when I'd click on them nothing would happen. In searching online, this seemed to be a fairly common issue that was resolved by reformatting the SD Card. I did that, but it still has solved nothing. The weird thing is, and this is different from anything I've read, is that all of my photos are accessible still, as are my videos. It's only the apps themselves that do not work.

Also, when I go to Setting --> Applications --> Manage Applications, all of the SD Card apps, instead of having that generic green Android icon, they're that generic icon but they're GRAY, and in the lower righthand corner it says 'SD.' Clicking on these icons gives me the option to uninstall the app, but not to move it as it typically the case.

I think those are all the important details. If there's anything else you need to know or think important, please let me know. I'm not sure if it's the SD Card itself that just needs to be replaced, but I figured I'd try other remedies first before buying a new one.

If anyone can give my any insight into how to fix this problem I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much!

ji_mestone

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for replying. I'm running 2.2.1, and I have almost 6 GB left.

One more thing...I don't know if this makes a difference, but thinking back, around the time this all started happening I started using ADWLauncher EX. I'm not totally sure if it started happening after I changed launchers, or if it happened before. I had been using Launcher Pro before that.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

btc0526

I wish I worked at google
May 25, 2011
Visit site
That's weird. Honestly I was running lpp, switched to Adw ex and then to go launcher with ICS theme. I haven't had any problems like that. I think maybe you should try a factory reset and then install ure apps one by one to see which app might have cause it. I have a 16 Gb cars with only half a gig left and all my apps work fine. I don't have the problem unless media scanner is running, which is normal

btc0526

May 25, 2011
Visit site
And maybe you should try to load up the official 2.3.6 on your phone. It made my phone much better and much faster with better battery life, and it was so simple to install

tylermich7

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
So I'm not the most tech-savvy person out there, but I do feel like after enough time on google I'm able to fix any problems I have, but I cannot solve this one. Here is the situation:

I noticed about 3 or 4 weeks ago my phone (Samsung Galaxy S 4G) would randomly turn off, maybe once or twice a week. When it rebooted, all of my apps on the SD card would not work. On the desktop screen, shortcuts were replaced by the generic green Android icon, and when I'd click on them nothing would happen. In searching online, this seemed to be a fairly common issue that was resolved by reformatting the SD Card. I did that, but it still has solved nothing. The weird thing is, and this is different from anything I've read, is that all of my photos are accessible still, as are my videos. It's only the apps themselves that do not work.

Also, when I go to Setting --> Applications --> Manage Applications, all of the SD Card apps, instead of having that generic green Android icon, they're that generic icon but they're GRAY, and in the lower righthand corner it says 'SD.' Clicking on these icons gives me the option to uninstall the app, but not to move it as it typically the case.

I think those are all the important details. If there's anything else you need to know or think important, please let me know. I'm not sure if it's the SD Card itself that just needs to be replaced, but I figured I'd try other remedies first before buying a new one.

If anyone can give my any insight into how to fix this problem I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much!

I think this is just an android bug. All my phones did this at one point or another. And as of you sd card apps not showing up when you phone turns on. Don't sweat it. They'll be loaded back to your desktop working after you phone reads your sd card. It may take a minute or two but you'll get the icons back and with them working properly.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Tapatalk

ji_mestone

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.
@btc0526: So about the factory reset, I have a question about it before I do it. Will it erase everything that I've downloaded onto my phone (not onto the SD card)? I was about to do it and the warning made it sound like that' the case. If so, am I able to gain access to those apps again and reinstall them?

As far as updating, I tried right now, and I followed the instructions on the link tmobile provided on their website, but when I use Kies mini to update it it says that it doesn't support my phone. Any suggestions there or should I just try contacting tmobile about it? I hesitate to do that because whenever I call about things like this I have to go through an hour of 'Is your phone on?' 'Is it charged?' 'Is it plugged in? To your computer?' And then they finally tell me they don't know.

@tylermich7: When it started doing this, that's all I'd do. Just wait a couple minutes, and eventually everything would start working. But now, those apps don't work, nor do they appear at all in my app launcher. Last week I noticed after I let my phone sit overnight by morning they finally worked again, but my phone did it again last night, and it's still not working right.

And every time time my phone restarts or I try remounting the SD card, the media scanner says it's reading, goes from 0-100%, taking as long as it normally does, but when it finishes, nothing.

btc0526

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes it unfortunately deletes any data on the phone. It doesn't touch the SD card. And to get all ure apps back, just go on the desktop market site and choose the ones you want to install again. As for the flashing, try a different cord and make sure you follow the directions closely. That also deletes everything on ure phone so do it after a fresh factory restart and do one after installation to make sure everything works fine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol