I'm returning this phone...dont buy it!

GeneralTula

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
This phone is dead in the water. Unless you are buying this phone to root it, don't waste your time. The phone comes with a total of 512 megs for app storage. Right out of the box you are left with only 200 megs due to the amount of bloat-ware that T-Mobile and Samsung put on the device. After downloading less than 15 apps and moving everything I could over to the SD card the phone is at 100 megs. My wife has owned it for 5 days.

The phone lags. Yes, the 4G and HSPA+ network makes it faster than my Nexus S, but as far as processor speed and functionality, my Nexus S runs laps around this phone. After running speed tests my Nexus S generally runs around 2.5 to 3.5MPS and the Galaxy S at 4 to 5MBS. While the HSPA+ network is great, the Nexus S can run on the HSPA network and is always pulling down a good amount of speed. I would rather deal with a slower (but still fast) network speed than deal with a fast network speed on a phone that is out of memory and lags five days into owning it.

This phone is being returned and I'm buying my wife the Nexus S.

Message to T-Mobile. Nobody give a flying **** about your bloat-ware. We don't give a **** about your apps that can't be deleted and the same goes with Samsung. We buy the phones for the information you list in the specs and your phones don't meet those specs. You don't get 512 out the the box. You get 200. Thats less than the G1. And don't say "well, you can root the phone and delete them" because truly, I shouldn't have to. I shouldn't be force fed a bunch of bull**** about a phone and then when I actually get it I have to return it and deal with all the bull**** that comes with.

Buying this phone made me realize why Google made the Nexus S a simple phone without all the BS added on. Its what Android should be. I dont need Sense, I don't need added apps that I don't want. Android is pure freedom to do what I want. And thats what the app store is for. If people wanted the apps you force feed them on the phone they'd download them. Instead you give Galaxy S 7 home screens and enough ram to maybe fill up 4 of them, if you're lucky. This phone is nothing more than paperweight.

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR. DONT BUY IT.

And I know I'll get responses saying "if it doesn't work for you return it, or that I shouldn't have bought it in the first place". And thats fine, defend the phone if you like. But in another 3 months when you have no memory left and can't download anything and you're constantly going through your phone deleting apps and trying to find a place to put things just remember this; I TOLD YOU SO.

Reactions: tluv004

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Samsung/T-Mo's crapware doesn't use app storage space. (it's all in the system partition)

But I agree, 512 is nowhere near enough. Your wife will love her Nexus S :) #VoteWithYourWallet

chestvrg

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
That's why I have the international version, the GT-i9000M and no bloatware here :) and 16GB of internal and capable of up to 32G external :)

dtowngs4g

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
This phone is dead in the water. Unless you are buying this phone to root it, don't waste your time. The phone comes with a total of 512 megs for app storage. Right out of the box you are left with only 200 megs due to the amount of bloat-ware that T-Mobile and Samsung put on the device. After downloading less than 15 apps and moving everything I could over to the SD card the phone is at 100 megs. My wife has owned it for 5 days.

The phone lags. Yes, the 4G and HSPA+ network makes it faster than my Nexus S, but as far as processor speed and functionality, my Nexus S runs laps around this phone. After running speed tests my Nexus S generally runs around 2.5 to 3.5MPS and the Galaxy S at 4 to 5MBS. While the HSPA+ network is great, the Nexus S can run on the HSPA network and is always pulling down a good amount of speed. I would rather deal with a slower (but still fast) network speed than deal with a fast network speed on a phone that is out of memory and lags five days into owning it.

This phone is being returned and I'm buying my wife the Nexus S.

Message to T-Mobile. Nobody give a flying **** about your bloat-ware. We don't give a **** about your apps that can't be deleted and the same goes with Samsung. We buy the phones for the information you list in the specs and your phones don't meet those specs. You don't get 512 out the the box. You get 200. Thats less than the G1. And don't say "well, you can root the phone and delete them" because truly, I shouldn't have to. I shouldn't be force fed a bunch of bull**** about a phone and then when I actually get it I have to return it and deal with all the bull**** that comes with.

Buying this phone made me realize why Google made the Nexus S a simple phone without all the BS added on. Its what Android should be. I dont need Sense, I don't need added apps that I don't want. Android is pure freedom to do what I want. And thats what the app store is for. If people wanted the apps you force feed them on the phone they'd download them. Instead you give Galaxy S 7 home screens and enough ram to maybe fill up 4 of them, if you're lucky. This phone is nothing more than paperweight.

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR. DONT BUY IT.

And I know I'll get responses saying "if it doesn't work for you return it, or that I shouldn't have bought it in the first place". And thats fine, defend the phone if you like. But in another 3 months when you have no memory left and can't download anything and you're constantly going through your phone deleting apps and trying to find a place to put things just remember this; I TOLD YOU SO.
well I love my G4SG. I originally had the Cliq, lost it, upgraded to Cliq 2 which was such a disappointment, rebooting every other minute, taking out battery, freezing and Motorola was aware as they posted what to do on site. Anyway, havent had a problem yet with Galaxy except when I tried to access an app that I guess isnt Froyo friendly, it made phone freeze. I want to root it though to get rid of apps I dont use and doubt I ever will and want to move Doubletwist to my sd card, not the phone. I actually enjoy the free trial of TMobile TV and the media hub is cool though I doubt I will use it much but will keep it in case I do.

I miss having a qwerty board, not big on just full touch screen phones but I am really loving the phone so far.

VCL

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Im stll using my great Nexus One, rooted with Link2sd. All my apps including maps, twitter, even adobe flash is on my super fast sd card with zerro lag. I fully advise anyone with a phone that has low memory space to root it and use your sd card wisely. As I said I have over 155 mb of free memory on my Nexus One with well over 150 apps running on it. My phone flies with zerro lag, even the stuff on my sd card has zerro lag. Get a good sd card and use it. I love my Nexus One, also have the MyTouch 4G with tons of memory but still use the Nexus One. Thank You to HTC and Google for putting together a great phone.
Vinny ;) ;)

Wookie13

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
After reading your messages, I decided to compare my 2 day old Galaxy 4G to my wife's Fascinate, I couldn't believe my available device memory was only 170 MB, barely more than my constantly freezing Storm I had just replaced, compared to the 6 month old Fascinate showing 1.3GB of device memory, even though I can't move anything to the card on the older 2.1 loaded device. I haven't cancelled my plan with Verizon yet, and am thinking I may go try to pickup a Thunderbolt tomorrow morning instead and return my Galaxy S 4G to pick up the expanded memory, plus 8MP camera with a flash, among other issues. Curious to see any other opinions on this. I just don't think I have been sold enough by this phone as T-Mobile's flagship to leave Big Red with their new beast coming out in a few hours.