Upgrade To S2 Without Data Plan

mtlake8

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
So my mother who is on T-Mobile is eligible for an upgrade on her account. However, she does not want a new phone is and definitely not interested in a smartphone. Because of that, I want to take advantage of that and use her upgrade eligibility for myself. I am on Verizon, so the S2 won't work for me, so I will be looking to sell the phone. My question is, is there a way to upgrade without getting a data plan? If I buy the phone online, every site requires a data plan. If I don't ever put in my mother's SIM card in the phone, will she still be charged the data plan. I just don't want to mess with her plan and not be able to go back to the one she's on now cause I'm not sure if it's a plan that is still offered. Any help would be great and thanks in advance!

Reactions: dulceconamor08

lmc05

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
If you buy the phone at a discounted price, the data plan is required, and it's a contracted feature. If you don't do a plan the phone is full price.

Drez87

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Not only do you have to get the Data plan, But it is also a required feature, which means it must stay on for 2years, even if she doesn't use the phone.:confused:

lunchBB

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes you can just buy the phone at full price. In that case, you don't need to have a data plan. You can indeed buy the same tmo phone at amazonwireless.com but the price is higher than in a Tmo store.