No more free WiFi tethering on Amaze or Galaxy S2

ssells

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I plan on buying the Galaxy S2 this week. On another forum someone posted that on both the new smartphones, Amaze and Galaxy S2, there is no more free mobile wifi tethering. If you try it you are directed to a page asking you to pay a $14.99 monthly fee. Can anyone on here confirm that? Thanks!

foodtester75

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
As far as I have heard yes will have to pay a fee for this. However if you root your phone and change the ROM then this feature will be unlock and you get it for free :cool: :)

johnyguy

Banned
Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I plan on buying the Galaxy S2 this week. On another forum someone posted that on both the new smartphones, Amaze and Galaxy S2, there is no more free mobile wifi tethering. If you try it you are directed to a page asking you to pay a $14.99 monthly fee. Can anyone on here confirm that? Thanks!

That's not fair at all. If I have a 2 Gig or 5 gig or 10 gig plan let me decide how I wanna use it up after the monthly plan they CAP it anyway. Its all bull crap. After few downloads and u slow down to death.....those numbers are enough for nothing you don't get to enjoy the phone with a great speed....

DWR_31

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
HTC has the bootloader unlock tool.
Rooting is a nice work around and HTC has said it will make unlocking available on all future phones.

Take that carriers!

mrmerk05

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
That's not fair at all. If I have a 2 Gig or 5 gig or 10 gig plan let me decide how I wanna use it up after the monthly plan they CAP it anyway. Its all bull crap. After few downloads and u slow down to death.....those numbers are enough for nothing you don't get to enjoy the phone with a great speed....

It's not bull crap because when you sign up for service and that data feature, you're buying internet on that phone alone. Just like when you buy a service for your house like your power bill. You pay for your house. Not your house and others. So you can't plug a extension cord and give others power. It sucks that they are now doing it, but its not bull crap. Our luck has just ran out that's all... T-Mobile is still the best!!! Hands down.

stebog

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I'd hate to visit merks house. I wouldn't be able to plug my phone in to get a quick charge because the power was for the homeowners use. I couldn't connect to the wifi because it's for the bill payers use. I couldn't even catch a ride with you to the store because your car was purchased for your use only.

Let's just sit back and take it, we can justify it!

I purchased an airline ticket for me a passenger, not luggage, I'll happily pay the extra fee to have my clothes on the other end of the trip.

I paid for a checking account, I don't write many checks anymore so I'll gladly pay a fee to use my debit card instead.

:p

Reactions: Deenybird

Eleazar6

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
You're exactly right stebog. Merks analogy is flawed. We don't have to take it. Fortunately, the smart people that make roms and such have the power to let us use our phones like we want. If no one pushed back on the carriers, it would suck worse.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I think this falls under the line of paying for cable and only having it in one room which was handled in the courts.

But blame data hungry people for using cellular data as their home connection.

tjnorman57

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
All, I bought the Amaze yesterday. I have had T-Mobile for about 5 years. I just checked the Android hotspot. It still works and cost nothing. They did put a app on the phone which I don't use. It does not ask me to pay extra, I am just work fine until I hit 5 gigs then I will slow down.:)

metekamil

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
You can actually use the wifi hotspot service without rooting or anything. All you need is a Proxy application which runs on the phone. Then you connect to that application by setting the proxy port from your device (such as in the wireless setting on an iPad, you set it to port 8080). At first I was very dissapointed, but relieved to see this working without a root.

I had a Vibrant before this, rooted with non-standard roms....trying to keep this phone "clean". You can use ADWLauncher if you dislike the Sense UI.... Just as good as switching roms.

Looking forward though to rooting this device to configure SetCPU and save battery life further! :)

metekamil

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
Proxoid and ProxUrDroid are both free apps which let you use the hotspot service without paying. Basically it makes the remote internet connections seems like they appear from the local device,

Crotalus

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Tethering does not work on my phone either galaxy s II. when I try it activates for a few moments (aprox 30 seconds) and then auto shuts off.

jhwee

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Tethering works just fine on the SGSII i have here -- both with the SIM T-Mo supplied (it's a demo unit) or my own.

What data plan do you have?

On my billing statement I have the old/grandfathered Android WEB400 (unlimited data + 400 text), $24.99.

Whenever I turn it on, I can connect to the AP but when I try to access any website, it redirects me to a TMo website asking me to add the hotspot plan (+$14.99?).

lunchBB

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I used to have the G1 data plan (unlimited data + 400 text) for $24.99. WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T CANCEL THAT PLAN. That's the true unlimited plan that they don't put any throttle or soft cap. I regret is so much I changed mine to a family plan.. with the 2GB soft cap, it goes in a few days. Now I called back to see if they can switch me back.. they can't as it is not listed in the system anymore.

BTW, this is the phone's problem. I have both Sensation and S2. I can still do WIFI tethering in Sensation but not the S2.

Also, once you have the WIFI hotspot turn on, your phone won't go online also. Browser will redirect you to the same "stay connected" up sell page.

johnyguy

Banned
Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
It's not bull crap because when you sign up for service and that data feature, you're buying internet on that phone alone. Just like when you buy a service for your house like your power bill. You pay for your house. Not your house and others. So you can't plug a extension cord and give others power. It sucks that they are now doing it, but its not bull crap. Our luck has just ran out that's all... T-Mobile is still the best!!! Hands down.

It is bull crap!!!! Let me decide where i use my montly data on my laptop tablet or phone after all iI AM the one who paying for it !!are you working for T-Mobile? Lol

lunchBB

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I have TMo Galaxy S2. For activating WIFI hotspot, the phone itself the internet won't go out anymore. Browser will redirect to a Tmo "Stay Connected" up sell page. It goes the same for tablet or PC that I connect to.

If you only concern using WIFI hotspot with PC, PDAnet is the way to go. The free version works except https sites. It's not WIFI hotspot but only USB tethering.

But for tablet, there is no other solution yet :(