Gorilla Glass is strange

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I dropped my phone already. It wasn't on concrete (thank God). It fell between the side of my bed and the wall. Luckily, the screen appears completely unharmed. It was in a case, but with no screen protector. I guess I just got lucky and only the case was hit. But, my old phone's screen (also Gorilla Glass) was scratched was a spec of dust. I don't get it.

DrLouie

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure your previous phone's screen was gorilla glass? I don't think a spec of dust should scratch real gorilla glass.

Jdm4292

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if that sounds rude I'm buying one for my girl in an hour or two and in all the places I've looked (reviews) I didn't see anything... Thanks in advance!

Sent from my ADR6400L

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Where does it say this phone even has gorilla glass? How can you be sure

Sent from my ADR6400L

it says it does here: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s_ii_t_mobile-4129.phphttp://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s_ii_t_mobile-4129.php under "Display" specifications, but i had the T-Mo's version of SGS II for a few days and its glass seemed blurry at times and not like my Vibrants display so i'm not sure if they skipped the GorGlass this time, my unit was defective, or i was just imagining it....

Depending on which phone you are coming from, you more than likely will LOVE T-Mo's SGS II, but if your coming from a really well built HTC high end phone, a Nexus or an I-Phone, maybe not so much....

All in all it is much better designed than previous Galaxy series, great cameras (8MP Rear & 2 MP FFC) higher specs, more RAM, bigger screen, a few added extras (NFC capabilities, screen capture) but for me i just was spoiled by the smoothness of the exynos processor, and T-Mo's coverage was horrid in my area, so i wound up going back to AT&T and since i HAD to have the 4.5 inch screen, wound up getting a Samsung Infuse (another awesome Samsung device, who even tho single core, its 1.2 Ghz Hummingbird processor is no slouch : )

P.s. what i do when i can't be certain if a phone has Gorilla Glass is go into the store with truck keys in hand, and when no salesperson is looking, i try to scratch the display model's screen...(don't tell anyone...lol)

BTC

Last edited:

Jdm4292

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Gorilla Glass does scratch. Not sure why some still believe it doesn't. It stands up to metal really good, but any old speck of sand will scratch it.

Steinheil Ultra Crystal screen protectors are the best, hands down. I've tried all the big names, and I will never use anything else.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Gorilla Glass does scratch. Not sure why some still believe it doesn't. It stands up to metal really good, but any old speck of sand will scratch it.

Steinheil Ultra Crystal screen protectors are the best, hands down. I've tried all the big names, and I will never use anything else.

Sand? i could kinda see that since sand is composed of ground up shells & rocks... wow, didn't know that, good thing i hate the beach...LOL

Quite frankly the phones i did my "scratch key test" in the store on (Vibrant, Photon, EVO 4G and G2x) did not scratch but then again, the keys i used were made of metal and not sand : ) i don't "jackhammer it, i just try to push a few strokes with a key with slight force back & forth to see if it will hold up to possibly rubbing against keys when taking in & out of purse, and each time i performed my "covert operation" i achieved "success"...lol

Of the 4 above i have tested with the key at the store, i owned the Vibrant for 6 mos and the EVO for 6 mos and never put a screen protector on them. When i sold them at the end of 6 mos they each looked brand new after "one swipe with a microfiber cloth".... I take good care of the phones, but i put them thru their paces too... Now my LG Dare, Envy and LG Cookie, (without using screen protectors as well) the surface of those phones looked like hell after just a short time, but luckily you really only noticed when screen was turned off....

Not tellin' anyone they should go "commando" if they don't want to, but if ur a "landlubber" like me, u might be able to go without it...lol

BTC

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Sand? i could kinda see that since sand is composed of ground up shells & rocks... wow, didn't know that, good thing i hate the beach...LOL

Quite frankly the phones i did my "scratch key test" in the store on (Vibrant, Photon, EVO 4G and G2x) did not scratch but they keys i used were made of metal and not sand, i don't "jackhammer it, i just try to push a few strokes with a key with slight force back & forth to see if it will hold up to possibly rubbing against keys when taking in & out of purse, and each time i performed my "covert operation" i achieved "success"...lol

Of the 4 above i have tested with the key at the store, i owned the Vibrant for 6 mos and the EVO for 6 mos and never put a screen protector on them. When i sold them at the end of 6 mos they each looked brand new after "one swipe with a microfiber cloth".... I take good care of the phones, but i put them thru their paces too... Now my LG Dare, Envy and LG Cookie, (without using screen protectors as well) the surface of those phones looked like hell after just a short time, but luckily you really only noticed when screen was turned off....

Not tellin' anyone they should go "commando" if they don't want to, but if ur a "landlubber" like me, u might be able to go without it...lol

BTC

One thing to remember, and what most seem to forget, is that sand is everywhere. There are sand particles in dirt. Not everyone needs a protector, but I find $15 to be cheap insurance on a $600 phone

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
One thing to remember, and what most seem to forget, is that sand is everywhere. There are sand particles in dirt. Not everyone needs a protector, but I find $15 to be cheap insurance on a $600 phone

yes, you are right about sand being everywhere, i probably have just been lucky. (either that or the rate with which i sail thru phones, is faster than the "speed of sand"...lol

BTC

titanoman

Banned
Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

I believe Zagg is the best money can buy ($35), lifetime warranty against scratches, smears, air bubbles, peeling, cracking...It's called Military Grade. But it is a $600 phone...

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I believe Zagg is the best money can buy ($35), lifetime warranty against scratches, smears, air bubbles, peeling, cracking...It's called Military Grade. But it is a $600 phone...

I respectfully disagree. Zagg is about the worst money can buy. Thick, sticky, orange peel. No thanks. Steinheil Ultra Crystals are completely invisible once put on. Just like glass. There is no comparison. I've used both of them, plus a out another 6 major brands, and you couldn't pay me to use a Zagg ever again.

titanoman

Banned
Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanx for advice. I agree about the orange-peel. I really liked the warranty- but they probably all have that. Teach me to listen to a salesman.

DrLouie

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site

Where did you get your Ultra Crystal screen protectors? I was only finding ones that fit the at&t version, and I understand it has a smaller screen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech