04-08-2012 02:44 PM
58 123
tools
    I noticed this problem after only 2 days with the t-mobile Galaxy S2. I did not see the same issue on the Sprint version (epic 4g touch) after 25 days (returned under sprint's 30-day return policy).

These phones both have the 4.52 inch super amoled+ display. The T-mobile version of the phone has a different processor and radio chip, but that shouldn't cause the screen issue.

I am definitely returning the phone for this reason. The super amoled screen is really really nice, if only it wasn't noisy.

Edit: my box is dated 10-4-2011, I ordered it directly from t-mo on the 21st.
    10-27-2011 08:40 PM
    Well I have this problem too , It's really noticeable, specially for me since I know it's there and when I'm watching a movie, these lines are clearly visible on a dark/grayed out scenes. I bought mine through Ebay, and using it on Simple Mobile, now If I want to exchange it where should I go? straight to samsung?
    10-28-2011 10:39 AM
    Well I have this problem too , It's really noticeable, specially for me since I know it's there and when I'm watching a movie, these lines are clearly visible on a dark/grayed out scenes. I bought mine through Ebay, and using it on Simple Mobile, now If I want to exchange it where should I go? straight to samsung?
    Yes, you'll need to do a warranty exchange with Samsung. I hope that you have the original receipt and all of that info
    10-28-2011 01:36 PM
    Has anyone done an an exchange, and has better luck with the display?

What's the date on the box?
    10-30-2011 07:44 PM
    I an having the exact same issue. I'm going to return my phone tomorrow and get another inner and hope that it's resolved...
    11-02-2011 09:44 PM
    I an having the exact same issue. I'm going to return my phone tomorrow and get another one and hope that it's resolved...
    11-02-2011 09:45 PM
    i have this problem .. my phone is white ..

i thank you for your well description of this issue. it's really match what i'm facing.

i've took a look around and found that im not the only one who's having this problem which's a relief to be honest .

i decided to ignore it .. i know it's bugging but it's tolerable... nothing is perfect .

i've some issue in my camera as well.
    11-03-2011 08:36 AM
    I still might exchange it if an OTA update doesn't resolve the issue by the time my 30 days are up (November 12th).
    11-05-2011 12:25 AM
    I had the noisey grainy lines really bad on my first GS2 (10/6 build) and still have them on my second (9/28 build). The 2nd isn't as bad as the first, and the noisey lines kinda give any dark color on the screen a weird brushed metal look. BUT, when you compare a dark Netflix video (Louie C.K. Standup) on the Tmo GS2 with the same video on the iPad 2 the GS2 looks TERRIBLE! The blacks in the video on the GS2 look very grey with a faint green tint. And, the video very clearly has the brushed metal effect with hundreds of long faint lines stretching across the screen.

Do I make another exchange, just deal with it, or get the Amaze 4G?

I love the phone but it's so hard to ignore screen issues, because you know, you have to look at the screen!

Terrible GPS on the GS1 that I had to wait months for them to address (not truly fixed though) and now this with the GS2? Samsung just looks like a flakey company right now. dissapointed
    11-11-2011 09:49 AM
    I showed this problem to the store yesterday, and they refused to do an exchange for me. I'm gonna go for a warranty exchange through T-Mobile and get them to waive the $5 shipping charge.
    11-12-2011 09:42 PM
    ATTENTION: Guys, no use in even trying. T-Mobile does not care. I tried going into a store (again) and exchanging this and they look at me like I'm nuts. They refused. The problem is all these stores have bright lighting which drowns out the problem. Apparently, this can be fixed with a software update. Do a search on Google, and there's a huge discussion on another forum with over 35,000 views.

For the mean time, I just purchased this for $5 and called it a day. I'm very happy with the phone otherwise!!

For those who can't see/click the link for the silicone case i bought which is awesome: silicone case

TOTALLY changes the feel of the phone making it GRIPPY and doesn't feel like it's gonna slip and fall !
    11-17-2011 05:12 PM
    ATTENTION: Guys, no use in even trying. T-Mobile does not care. I tried going into a store (again) and exchanging this and they look at me like I'm nuts. They refused. The problem is all these stores have bright lighting which drowns out the problem. Apparently, this can be fixed with a software update. Do a search on Google, and there's a huge discussion on another forum with over 35,000 views.

For the mean time, I just purchased this for $5 and called it a day. I'm very happy with the phone otherwise!!

For those who can't see/click the link for the silicone case i bought which is awesome: silicone case

TOTALLY changes the feel of the phone making it GRIPPY and doesn't feel like it's gonna slip and fall !
    Software update? Where do I get this update?

I actually had the store rep go into the restroom with me in the pitch dark. Both of our GS2's had the same problem. He then talked to his manager, who said it was a problem with the model itself and that I didn't have defective phone. He said a software fix will come along with the Wi-Fi Calling update.

I'm keeping this phone at least until I can pony up the money to buy a Galaxy Nexus.

EDIT: I also have that case, but in red. I paid less on EBay. I also have a cheap screen protector until I get to the Ghost Armor kiosk next week.
    11-17-2011 07:30 PM
    Proptip: Until this issue is resolved, the general rule is, the less natural lighting you have around you, the higher the brightness should be.
    11-19-2011 05:16 AM
    If you guys read or watch some of the reviews you will hear how Samsung supersized the screen but did not make the pixels for the resolution match so there will be a little bit of noise on your screen. However, this does not affect the final product of photos. Its just the structure of the phone. I agree with many that this should have been checked before marketing the phone to the public but really that's what you're seeing. Its just the resolution doesn't match the size of the screen. It doesn't bother me too much though. Hope that helps or explains what you're talking about.
    11-23-2011 03:46 PM
    i had a 11/01/2011
    no difference and even worse issue packaging was different than my second one, manager of store said it was dif aswell, i had the phone shipped straight from tmobile corp and i didnt want to wait 3 days for warranty echange or send back phone and then wait for another so i got a tmobile store to exchange the device since i was leaving out of country in 2 days, also my buyers remorse ends in 3 days, so it was really nice of the store manager to do that for me knowngly knows it wasnt of his inventory and that it was a phone i got threw customer care instead. however differences in packaging and label on back of box was dif, also i think the phone was a lil bigger becuase now i have the 2nd one and the date on box saids 9/28/2011 phone feels smaller, also boolets are wrapped in plastic bag and like i said box has a different label format. i havent checked the screen issue on the 9/28 yet but the 11/01/2011 dif has issues. it also tends to freeze a lot, some pple say they cant hear me, to tell u the truth im not glad i got a 9/28 as most of the complaints ive seen have been do to that date but if this one doesnt have issues i guess ill keep it but hopefully the manager at the store since now its kind of ok to go through him hell keep me updated for when theres another date similar to swap with within the next few days im here if any issues are to arize. also phone itself on older one has blue protectant tapes on sd card slot and sim card slot none of these tapes are on the newer ones.
    11-30-2011 06:11 PM
    there is only a 20 policy on t mobile phones and thats if u get them online or over a phone, if u buy in store u only have 14 days.
    11-30-2011 06:16 PM
    guys it really deals with the chipset and gpu on the phone if u look at the galxy s 4g ull notice that ull never have this issue except that the phone does have a wierd tint to it coompared to other galaxy phones and htc phones, othe rthan that picture is more high def than galaxy s2, i have both phones and i really like the camera quality and pic quality on my galaxy 4g sadley im going to sell the 4g becuase i just got the s2 and its a blow to my brains of how bad the s2 is compared to other networks the s2 runs on. tmobile is really screwing up and every varient of a htc phone or samsung phone they come out with except for the g1 which was there best non problematic phone android has touched for its time has been a dud. and its trulley sadening, coming so close and raising our hopes but no cigar, and then they charge us rediculous prices, and then come out with a new phone every 6 months that only corrects one issue but then looses all the good things with the lastphone had, how come no fm tuner, no testing of these screens, its so apparent that a child could notice it. we pay to much and sprint and other companyies sell these phones for the same prices if not less with more features, and no issues, as much as we deal with t mobile. but all im trying to say is snap dragon suks, the reason we stay away from htc like my touch and all that htc nonsense is becuase they lag up to much which is do to chipset and snap dragon p. its also to blame for chopy camera and video takeing. on galaxy 4g ull get a smooth vid no mater what and its all becuase of humming bird. even images look sharper, however ive compared pics taken with gs2 and they arnt as sharp as should be, heck the sensation takes a sharper pick, and if u havent noticed, the vibrant way before the 4g vcame out took sharper pics by 10x as much then evo when it came out and better video quality, with only a 5 meg pix camera with 720 p video resolution, i was expecting the galaxy s2 to blow every htc phone out of water but this thing they did hooking up with snap dragon is a true shame, and i say we should be credited back atleast half our money becuase all were getting is a big screen thats it. however other galaxy s2 on other networks work great and i have no complaints they tully beat the rest of the htc line up no problem, no skips with recording in 1080 p plus u can zoom, no screen issues, runs smooth, the only thing i like aboout htc now adays is yes i like there sense ui, it looks so much nicer and of course ony brand on t mobile that has all there phones with fm tuner.
    11-30-2011 06:33 PM
    I have the same issue, I gave up after my third one and decided not to exchange. but with the second one I went into the store and the b... behind the counter denied me a exchange so I asked for the manager and told him take it to the bathroom which they have in the back and turn of the lights..he went and compared my phone to his gs2. he over wrote what the b... said and gave me my third gs2, which i'm on right now. pulled it out of the box to have the same issue. they told me I won't be able to do any more exchanges through the store...cool thing is if you so enough exchanges through warranty like I did with my 4g slide sooner or later they will offer you a device at equal value. they sentme like 5 scratched up 4g slides and I called right away and complained the lady offered me a sensation instead lol.
    12-02-2011 05:48 AM
    Played with a AT&T GS2 yesterday and the screen was BEAUTIFUL with none of the screen issues the t-mo gs2 has. OH YEAH, doing anything on the at&t gs2 phone was faster than the t-mo gs2. All the t-mo gs2 buyers got screwed here. disappointing but what can you expect after the vibrant gps issue? I am glad that after 3 bad screens with the t-mo gs2's i switched to the Amaze. I am happy for now. Will sell the Amaze if/when the galaxy nexus comes out for t-mo
    12-05-2011 12:02 AM
    Played with a AT&T GS2 yesterday and the screen was BEAUTIFUL with none of the screen issues the t-mo gs2 has. OH YEAH, doing anything on the at&t gs2 phone was faster than the t-mo gs2. All the t-mo gs2 buyers got screwed here. disappointing but what can you expect after the vibrant gps issue? I am glad that after 3 bad screens with the t-mo gs2's i switched to the Amaze. I am happy for now. Will sell the Amaze if/when the galaxy nexus comes out for t-mo
    Lol amaze doesn't compare to the gs2 and I switch phones every couple months so it doesn't bother me, hopefully a update fixes the issue. The international gs2 had the same issue until a update came out which fixed the issue..shove that amaze with those weird edges up your loose butt hole lmao
    12-05-2011 12:57 AM
    I too have this problem. (with an additional one) on my first the vertical lines were almost not noticable. but a diagonal bar was seen on the screen. Matter of contrast like if the screen was lighter on either side of the bar. bar size approx 4mm.
    Second one. A disaster. many vertical lines.
    Third one. Well the lines have now become bars.
    Expecting 4th one in 2 days.

Can you give me that link to that other forum. or at least a good google term so i can find it ?

Last question, i'm from the netherlands. I'm not sure if all posters here are from europe ?

Greets Rob.
    12-05-2011 09:28 PM
    Lol amaze doesn't compare to the gs2 and I switch phones every couple months so it doesn't bother me, hopefully a update fixes the issue. The international gs2 had the same issue until a update came out which fixed the issue..shove that amaze with those weird edges up your loose butt hole lmao
    Your loose vag isn't adding anything to this discussion.

Personal Opinion: "Amaze doesn't compare to the gs2" - Personal situation: "I switch phones every couple of months" - A simple guess" "hopefully a update fixes the issue" - Another personal opinion: "Amaze with weird edges"

Since where is personal attacks allowed on this forum?
    12-05-2011 11:53 PM
    Your loose vag isn't adding anything to this discussion.

Personal Opinion: "Amaze doesn't compare to the gs2" - Personal situation: "I switch phones every couple of months" - A simple guess" "hopefully a update fixes the issue" - Another personal opinion: "Amaze with weird edges"

Since where is personal attacks allowed on this forum?
    Lol your a funny guy. .I've played with both phones and the amaze is like a g1 compared to gs2. Sense was always my favorite but touchwiz won me over with the resizable Widgets
    12-06-2011 12:31 AM
    wow, so this is a widespread problem with this phone? i'm just reading about this now and everything else i've seen re the s2 was pretty good. i'm this close to just getting one (i doubt the GN will come out for tmobile anytime soon) on sale from best buy or maybe wait til next week for a white one. the 2 times i got to play with one at a store i thought "this screen aint all that" after reading all the high praise about super amoled, etc. i'd compare it with the amaze (pics and videos) and always walked away thinking the amaze looked better. well hopefully an update does end up fixing it.
    12-08-2011 06:11 PM
    I've been confused by these screen issues forever. I've seen the pics on XDA. I've seen the multitude of people complaining about verticle lines. To be honest, I have NEVER had this issue on my phone.

Now I've been told I'm one of the luck ones and after having 3 G2x phones that all had the classic G2x problems, I'm happy I finally got lucky with a phone.

Moral of the story is, the GS2 is an excellent phone. Try it for yourself before you say no to the best TMO phone available right now.

Unless you like lugging around a 5 lbs brick in your pocket (HTC Amaze).
    12-09-2011 09:28 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD