**ATTENTION: Severe problem with the T-Mobile Galaxy S2 screen**

bmwmpower

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I am going to copy/paste what I wrote to Gizmodo just a few minutes ago. There is something seriously wrong with the Samsung Galaxy S2 screen. It is displaying faint noise/lines/fuzz beneath the picture/video/screen whatever you're looking at. Go look at yours now and report back. Move the picture around with your hand and notice if there's any blotches...

"I need your help in the way of attention to this matter! Over the weekend I purchased a Samsung Galaxy S2 from T-Mobile. I played with it, it's great then a little while later I notice while looking at the phone when viewing pictures, browser, SMS screen--anything, that there is an underlying faint fuzz/verticle lines consistently on the entire screen. So I went to my T-Mobile store and exchanged it for a new one.

In the store, the replacement Galaxy S2 seemed fine. But later on when I got home I was looking at some pictures and I noticed the faint lines/fuzz again! My friend with an iPhone 4 was next to me and we viewed the same photo, same websites, everything and his phone was absolutely perfect. I did notice the situation VASTLY improved (near perfect) when you turn off auto-brightness and manually increase screen brightness.

At max bright levels, the picture is perfect. Turn the brightness down and the fuzz/noise/verticle lines reappear. There is definitely something going on here and I am not sure if it's just a problem with the T-Mobile exclusive 4.5" screen or if others are having this same problem. I took photos and video and have attached them to this e-mail. Please help shed some light on this. I am on contract with T-Mobile and an iPhone is not an option for me. (I could unlock it but I won't have 3G) Perhaps you can help me have some engineers from Samsung look into this.

The problem appears to be exagerrated when displaying certain colors--grays and blues. But if you look closely, you can see it under any color. Do you guys have a Galaxy S2 you could try?

Note: It's difficult to notice in the YouTube videos probably because the videos are compressed. They're a LOT softer than what came out of my Canon S95. Try staring at the blue sky in the video. you'll notice the iPhone 4 is PERFECTLY clean while the Galaxy has obvious fuzz/noise which DOES NOT move WITH the photo as you move the photo around with your finger. "

Notice the banding/lines in the sky portion.. see how noisy it is? (and the photo is perfectly clean--I should know, I took it) but it does it on every screen, sms screen, browser, anything.)

TmoGalaxyS2screenproblemsnapshot.jpg

Samsung Galaxy S2 T-Mobile Screen problems - YouTube

Samsung Galaxy S2 screen problems with noise/vertical lines - YouTube

nodrogkam

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: **ATTENTION: Severe problem with the T-Mobile Galaxy S2 scre

I'm not having these issues, and you need to redo your videos in a better environment where there isn't a light bulb overhead and perhaps with a better camera. I'm was looking at your videos on my 22" 1080p monitor and couldn't tell what you're on about...

I can see some issues with the screen on the photo you've taken and posted above, but I can't replicate the problem. Maybe post the site that you visited so others can try/verify.

bmwmpower

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

I'm not having these issues, and you need to redo your videos in a better environment where there isn't a light bulb overhead and perhaps with a better camera. I'm was looking at your videos on my 22" 1080p monitor and couldn't tell what you're on about...

I can see some issues with the screen on the photo you've taken and posted above, but I can't replicate the problem. Maybe post the site that you visited so others can try/verify.

I shouldn't have to post a site, you can replicate the problem on any site. The problem is more readily apparent in a darker environment (say your bedroom).

Try this and I can almost guarantee (assuming this is normal behavior for this phone) that your phone will replicate these problems:

1) Go to settings>display and turn autobrightness OFF and manually adjust brightness all the way down (or anywhere 25% and below)

2) View any app with gray in the background (the Android Marketplace works perfectly for this) or the SMS screen, etc.

Tell me if the background is perfectly smooth (aside from pixels) you should easily see noise/vertical lines which does not move with the picture, i.e, scrolling/moving the picture.

Like I said, for me, the problem goes away as you increase brightness on the far end of the scale. I'm looking at my phone as we speak and it was bright when I first turned it on and looked awesome, then it auto-dimmed (I turned it back on due to battery's sake) and when it dimmed, the blotchiness/unevenness reappeared.

I am sorry about the videos, I will try to post a better one later.

I assure you I am not crazy, I can definitely see the problem. I'm a busy person (as we all are) and I would not take the time to make this elaborate post for nothing. A lot of people were there with me last night and verified that there is indeed a problem with my screen.

bmwmpower

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

Try this:

Browse this forum on your Galaxy S2 and download this image:

blank%20document.gif

After saving to your Galaxy S2, open it and fill the screen with it. Keep in mind this is a SOLID gray background. No pattern at all. It should display as such. Make sure the brightness is down to 15-25% and go in a somewhat dark room. You will see the nastiness of this screen when in dark conditions like reading in bed, etc. I even see spots and blotches! This image just exagerrates the problem, it's visible to me in most screens. Let me know...

BustinArt

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

I just bought the SGS2 two days ago and i have the SAME PROBLEM as BMWMPOWER... I have not been able to play with the phone since i got it until last night i was watching netflix. i noticed LOTS of vertical lines all over the screen some spotty black spots. I have the screen for automatic brightness and at night i noticed it... im thinking people can see this problem, if they have it, by watching netflix in a dark room.

nodrogkam

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

OP: I know you're not creating this just for sh&giggles but I've tried what you've suggested as well as netflix (in all sorts of environmental settings, as well as manual brightness) and cannot replicate what you're experiencing. I'm not sure if it's something that takes time to show up (i hope not), but I'll report back to this thread if in the future I notice this issue.

Thanks for being through though.

As a side note, you mention you had your units replaced, but if you got them replaced at the same place or even in the same area, it could be bad batches. The LG G2x had many "bad batches"...so you either should wait for a later batch to arrive at your local store, or go farther out to get an exchange.
This is a bigger problem facing consumers and handset manufacturers as companies rush to push out phones quicker - lack of QC and testing.

mettleh3d#WN

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site

I too see similar fizz and vertical lines at the lowest brightness settings.

bmwmpower

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

Thanks, guys. By the way, I got the phone from a different store. I love the phone other than this problem. I am VERY curious if you guys will see the blotches/lines with the brightness turned down when viewing the image I attached previously. It seems that its been replaced with some sort of advertisement.

They wont allow me to hot link the image. hmm let me see if i can save it and attach it.. ok attached!

Try it.. do you see what I am talking about? It's not a HUGE problem but it does bug me.

BustinArt

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

I just have tried the attached picture and i see the vertical lines. I also see black spotty areas like if they are dead pixels, when the displays brightness is turned down.

mettleh3d#WN

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site

I'm unable to see anything with your attached Grey image. Wondering if it's all in my head then.

nodrogkam

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

Thanks, guys. By the way, I got the phone from a different store. I love the phone other than this problem. I am VERY curious if you guys will see the blotches/lines with the brightness turned down when viewing the image I attached previously. It seems that its been replaced with some sort of advertisement.

They wont allow me to hot link the image. hmm let me see if i can save it and attach it.. ok attached!

Try it.. do you see what I am talking about? It's not a HUGE problem but it does bug me.

I do see lines, but they don't fluctuate. Upon closer inspection, the gradient (grey to black) that samsung uses for the tool bar at the bottom "Send via" & "Delete", have the same exact lines that show up on your grey.bmp img.

The only time i can see vertical lines are the blue gradient that samsung uses to tell you that you've reached the edge of an img/or webpage. that seems fairly normal to me though, considering this isnt a retina display. What we maybe seeing is artifacts of having a lower ppi super amoled screen. After all it's the first super amoled that's 800x600 resolution at 4.53 inches.

Anyways that's my personal experience.

mettleh3d#WN

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site

Nm, i see splotches and lines. Wow and they're quite apparent. Dark too? 0 brightness.

poopoopower

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

bunch of people complaining about this on another forum

I stole someone's pics:

E0Nuyl.jpg

0Yzn2l.jpg

FbuTPl.jpg

BustinArt

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

those pictures are exactly what i have on my phone! What can we do about this? Return the phone? Im worried about trading it for another and the new one would habe the problem...

jdthepig

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site

Hmmm...screen issues with Galaxy S II or battery issues with Amaze...which poison should I pick?

:confused:

nodrogkam

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

Here's a photo i took with my DSLR of my GSII in a completely dark room - brightness at 0.

DSC_0005.jpg

To me that looks pretty darn normal. It doesn't show extreme lines like the other samples you've shown.

EDIT: Here's another

DSC_0006.jpg

Last edited:

bmwmpower

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

Interesting. I've came to the conclusion that while the problem does exist (maybe it's not a problem and maybe just inherent to AMOLED technology), that I will just live with it. In doesn't really affect me most of the time and I just try not to look so hard. I'm glad some of you see it though! Other than that I love the phone..

Reactions: pseudomonas

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

Download the app Dead Pixel Detect. You can test different color backgrounds with it. It's most noticeable on mine with a gray background. I'm also noticing it in the menus of Dolphin HD.

EDIT:
Is this a problem with AMOLED technology in general, or with our specific phones?

Last edited:

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

Has anyone discovered a fix? Is this just a bad batch, or is the problem inherent to all SAMOLED+ displays?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12