**ATTENTION: Severe problem with the T-Mobile Galaxy S2 screen**

mettleh3d#WN

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: **ATTENTION: Severe problem with the T-Mobile Galaxy S2 scre

I now have had 3 SGS2's

First one was perfect, but i wanted to get from Costco.

Second unit i noticed major fuzzy, black dots and lines in the lowest brightness. Brightness was also far dimmer than normal. (demo unit at Costo Kiosk)

Third unit works out well again.

Your best bet is to hope to exchange it and hope you have a good one.

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

I now have had 3 SGS2's

First one was perfect, but i wanted to get from Costco.

Second unit i noticed major fuzzy, black dots and lines in the lowest brightness. Brightness was also far dimmer than normal. (demo unit at Costo Kiosk)

Third unit works out well again.

Your best bet is to hope to exchange it and hope you have a good one.

I've already exchange mine once, but for a different reason. I'm also afraid that the one I exchange it for will be worse. I'm getting lines, that are faint, but very noticeable in when the brightness is low. I don't have black dots.

EDIT:
From reading around the internets, I found out that this was an issue with the international version, and apparently it was fixed with a software update.

Last edited:

Splaktar

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

EDIT:
From reading around the internets, I found out that this was an issue with the international version, and apparently it was fixed with a software update.

Do you have a link to that information?

I've got these issues (vertical grey lines and black splotches) on both of my phones that I just picked up. One from 9/28 and one from 9/29. It is most noticeable on dark grey, grey, and dark blue backgrounds with low screen brightness in a dark room.

If yours is noticeable you should try to swap it out, but I'm not sure if there is new stock of a better batch everywhere. The guys at the T-Mobile store today told me that they had sold out of their first batch and were on their 2nd batch now. I'm not sure that I believe that too well though since I got a phone from 9/28.

I've heard that phones dated 10/1 or later on the box don't have this problem. Can anyone confirm or deny that? Edit: There do not appear to be any completely perfect screen batches.

Last edited:

20degrees

Banned
Jun 27, 2011
Visit site

There's truth to that. I've seen info on twitter and xda about the problem (not the blotches though).

I've heard that phones dated 10/1 or later on the box don't have this problem. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

That's not true. I've tried 6 different phones ranging from 9/28 to 10/1 and all have the lines (some more than others). And the only one that had the blotches was, you guessed it, the 10/1 one.

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

I've got these issues (vertical grey lines and black splotches) on both of my phones that I just picked up. One from 9/28 and one from 9/29. It is most noticeable on dark grey, grey, and dark blue backgrounds with low screen brightness in a dark room.

My friend has a PHD in LCD technology and he said that it is just a manufacturing problem. There is different impedence for some of the pins that take the charge to the panel. This causes some of the data lines to be brighter than others which causes grey lines up and down the screen. He even showed me an example of this on his old LCD monitor that he uses. He said that it can get worse over time.

If yours is noticeable you should try to swap it out, but I'm not sure if there is new stock of a better batch everywhere. The guys at the T-Mobile store today told me that they had sold out of their first batch and were on their 2nd batch now. I'm not sure that I believe that too well though since I got a phone from 9/28.

I've heard that phones dated 10/1 or later on the box don't have this problem. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

I'll have to dig around for that link, so I'll update this post when I find it.

In the meantime, this was apparently an issue with the Nexus S also.
Nexus S review -- Engadget

Reactions: Splaktar

cucheshire

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

I noticed this problem after only 2 days with the t-mobile Galaxy S2. I did not see the same issue on the Sprint version (epic 4g touch) after 25 days (returned under sprint's 30-day return policy).

These phones both have the 4.52 inch super amoled+ display. The T-mobile version of the phone has a different processor and radio chip, but that shouldn't cause the screen issue.

I am definitely returning the phone for this reason. The super amoled screen is really really nice, if only it wasn't noisy.

Edit: my box is dated 10-4-2011, I ordered it directly from t-mo on the 21st.

Last edited:

baluchsaab

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

Well I have this problem too :(, It's really noticeable, specially for me since I know it's there and when I'm watching a movie, these lines are clearly visible on a dark/grayed out scenes. I bought mine through Ebay, and using it on Simple Mobile, now If I want to exchange it where should I go? straight to samsung?

Splaktar

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

Well I have this problem too :(, It's really noticeable, specially for me since I know it's there and when I'm watching a movie, these lines are clearly visible on a dark/grayed out scenes. I bought mine through Ebay, and using it on Simple Mobile, now If I want to exchange it where should I go? straight to samsung?

Yes, you'll need to do a warranty exchange with Samsung. I hope that you have the original receipt and all of that info :)

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

Has anyone done an an exchange, and has better luck with the display?

What's the date on the box?

pseudomonas

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

i have this problem .. my phone is white ..

i thank you for your well description of this issue. it's really match what i'm facing.

i've took a look around and found that im not the only one who's having this problem which's a relief to be honest .

i decided to ignore it .. i know it's bugging but it's tolerable... nothing is perfect .

i've some issue in my camera as well.

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

I still might exchange it if an OTA update doesn't resolve the issue by the time my 30 days are up (November 12th).

Astrolux44EVO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I had the noisey grainy lines really bad on my first GS2 (10/6 build) and still have them on my second (9/28 build). The 2nd isn't as bad as the first, and the noisey lines kinda give any dark color on the screen a weird brushed metal look. BUT, when you compare a dark Netflix video (Louie C.K. Standup) on the Tmo GS2 with the same video on the iPad 2 the GS2 looks TERRIBLE! The blacks in the video on the GS2 look very grey with a faint green tint. And, the video very clearly has the brushed metal effect with hundreds of long faint lines stretching across the screen.

Do I make another exchange, just deal with it, or get the Amaze 4G?

I love the phone but it's so hard to ignore screen issues, because you know, you have to look at the screen!

Terrible GPS on the GS1 that I had to wait months for them to address (not truly fixed though) and now this with the GS2? Samsung just looks like a flakey company right now. dissapointed :(

Last edited:

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

I showed this problem to the store yesterday, and they refused to do an exchange for me. I'm gonna go for a warranty exchange through T-Mobile and get them to waive the $5 shipping charge.

bmwmpower

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

ATTENTION: Guys, no use in even trying. T-Mobile does not care. I tried going into a store (again) and exchanging this and they look at me like I'm nuts. They refused. The problem is all these stores have bright lighting which drowns out the problem. Apparently, this can be fixed with a software update. Do a search on Google, and there's a huge discussion on another forum with over 35,000 views.

For the mean time, I just purchased this for $5 and called it a day. I'm very happy with the phone otherwise!!

For those who can't see/click the link for the silicone case i bought which is awesome: silicone case

TOTALLY changes the feel of the phone making it GRIPPY and doesn't feel like it's gonna slip and fall !

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

ATTENTION: Guys, no use in even trying. T-Mobile does not care. I tried going into a store (again) and exchanging this and they look at me like I'm nuts. They refused. The problem is all these stores have bright lighting which drowns out the problem. Apparently, this can be fixed with a software update. Do a search on Google, and there's a huge discussion on another forum with over 35,000 views.

For the mean time, I just purchased this for $5 and called it a day. I'm very happy with the phone otherwise!!

For those who can't see/click the link for the silicone case i bought which is awesome: silicone case

TOTALLY changes the feel of the phone making it GRIPPY and doesn't feel like it's gonna slip and fall !

Software update? Where do I get this update?

I actually had the store rep go into the restroom with me in the pitch dark. Both of our GS2's had the same problem. He then talked to his manager, who said it was a problem with the model itself and that I didn't have defective phone. He said a software fix will come along with the Wi-Fi Calling update.

I'm keeping this phone at least until I can pony up the money to buy a Galaxy Nexus.

EDIT: I also have that case, but in red. I paid less on EBay. I also have a cheap screen protector until I get to the Ghost Armor kiosk next week.

Last edited:

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

Proptip: Until this issue is resolved, the general rule is, the less natural lighting you have around you, the higher the brightness should be.

elysea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site

If you guys read or watch some of the reviews you will hear how Samsung supersized the screen but did not make the pixels for the resolution match so there will be a little bit of noise on your screen. However, this does not affect the final product of photos. Its just the structure of the phone. I agree with many that this should have been checked before marketing the phone to the public but really that's what you're seeing. Its just the resolution doesn't match the size of the screen. It doesn't bother me too much though. Hope that helps or explains what you're talking about.

Yoshii Alicea Li

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site

i had a 11/01/2011
no difference and even worse issue packaging was different than my second one, manager of store said it was dif aswell, i had the phone shipped straight from tmobile corp and i didnt want to wait 3 days for warranty echange or send back phone and then wait for another so i got a tmobile store to exchange the device since i was leaving out of country in 2 days, also my buyers remorse ends in 3 days, so it was really nice of the store manager to do that for me knowngly knows it wasnt of his inventory and that it was a phone i got threw customer care instead. however differences in packaging and label on back of box was dif, also i think the phone was a lil bigger becuase now i have the 2nd one and the date on box saids 9/28/2011 phone feels smaller, also boolets are wrapped in plastic bag and like i said box has a different label format. i havent checked the screen issue on the 9/28 yet but the 11/01/2011 dif has issues. it also tends to freeze a lot, some pple say they cant hear me, to tell u the truth im not glad i got a 9/28 as most of the complaints ive seen have been do to that date but if this one doesnt have issues i guess ill keep it but hopefully the manager at the store since now its kind of ok to go through him hell keep me updated for when theres another date similar to swap with within the next few days im here if any issues are to arize. also phone itself on older one has blue protectant tapes on sd card slot and sim card slot none of these tapes are on the newer ones.