Considering the TMo GS2

ubizmo

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I've been a BlackBerry user for a few years, and was a SideKick user before that. I've decided that I'm wanting to go to a device with a larger screen. Obviously, the Tmobile GS2 has one of the largest screens out there.

Battery life is important to me. By that, I mean that I have a strong preference for a device that can go from when I get up in the morning until I go to bed at night on a single charge. I expect to charge a smartphone everynight, but I don't want to have to charge it during the day. I've heard from various people that newer model Android phones have better power management, and the GS2 in particular is pretty good.

Judgments about battery life vary so wildly that it's hard to believe people are talking about the same device. So I'll try to be more specific. I will use an RSS reader app, and a Facebook app, but I prefer to set them to "never" fetch updates. That is, I don't need to know there are updates until I actually open the apps myself. I typically set my weather app to update once an hour. I do little to no gaming. During work hours, I don't really use the phone much, except to read emails every hour or so, and sometimes compose and send mails. In the evening, I use the broswer to visit forums, post messages, etc. I like to listen to podcasts in the car, so they have to be downloaded occasionally. In the evening, I read using the Kindle app. I'll often play some music, either mp3 or Pandora, as I read. I'm not one to watch a lot of movies or videos on the device, but if I do, I know enough to not expect battery miracles.

That's my standard usage pattern. I have no idea whether that's light, heavy, or "normal" use. Does it sound like I'll get 16 hours, with screen brightness notched back to 30% or so?

Is the speaker loud enough for me to hear podcasts without using earphones? I've heard some people say that it isn't, but again, I don't know what they consider loud enough. I play podcasts on my BB 9780 and it's loud enough. Maybe someone familiar with the 9780 can comment.

Is there anything else I should know or be thinking about? I'm a heavy user of auto-text on BB, but I understand there's some sort of app for that in the Android market. Indeed, there seem to be a number of keyboard and text entry options, which is an attractive feature of the platform. Would I get better battery life if I chose a different Tmo Android phone? If so, which one?

The Kindle app has a lot to do with my decision to leave the BlackBerry. The BB has a Kindle app, but it doesn't support highlighting or annotation, and there's no indication that Amazon will ever upgrade the BB apps. Since I do a lot of reading while I'm out and about, and I need to mark up my books, this is key. I considered a Windows 7.5 device, but the Kindle app there also doesn't do highlighting or annotation.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
The battery life is good. I find it better than my old Galaxy S 4G. At the end of the day, I usually have 50-30% left. I'm glued to my phone sometimes.

Here's a suggestion: Set the Kindle app to a black background with white letters. SAMOLED displays use virtually no power when displaying black backgrounds.

The only word of caution: There seems to be some GSG2s out there that have noisy/grainy lines and blemishes when the brightness is low and you are in a low-light setting. I did a warranty exchange and ate a $5 shipping charge only to get one with the same problem. I might take it in to a repair center and have it looked at.

ubizmo

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I don't think reading white letters on black background will be good for my eyes. I generally prefer to use the black on sepia in Kindle.

Can you comment on the speaker volume, at least for purposes of listening to podcasts? I'm not expecting a boombox.

Also, I wonder if the GS2 is "too much phone" for my needs. Maybe I should be looking at something like the MyTouch, or some other device.

ubizmo

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I ended up getting the T-mobile G2x. It was more affordable and seemed to offer the right combination of screen size, build quality/feel and specs. I don't need the absolute latest and greatest. I'm still getting used to it, but I'm pleased with it so far. So I'll be posting in that forum from now on.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma