How to Root T-Mobile Galaxy S 2

devgru82

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
First Things you need to have:
- Samsung Kies: http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...Samsung Kies&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13250058392173
- ODIN3 V_1.85: http://www.mediafire.com/?hbc7pyftyyu75fr
-ClockworkMod Recvoery that you will flash via ODIN: http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...ash via ODIN&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13250059881983
-Superuser Zip file: http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...od later on!&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13250060545566

Install Samsung Kies so that you have the proper drivers then reboot your computer.

How to Root the phone...

*Before We get things rolling, Make sure the Phone is recognized by your PC.

*Put the Superuser .zip file on your internal SD

*Take the battery out and place it back

*Hold both Vol up + Vol down, and plug the USB cable in.

*On ODIN, Select the PDA button and browse to the recovery-cwm-hercules.tar

*Select Start and see the magic do its thing.

*It should flash the file to Recovery and reboot the phone.

*Take the battery out again and now boot into recovery

*Power off phone, unplug USB, Hold Both Vol up + Vol down and Hit power

*PERFORM NANDROID BACKUP FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY*

*Select Install zip from sdcard, choose the Superuser .zip and let it finish.

*Reboot!

*Now Lets delete some bloat ok? Be careful of what you delete!

***Thanks To |Melvin| and Slayher for ROOTING the phone, i just created this small guide for you all to use.

Last edited:
Reactions: tfrank10

shadow1010

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
You would think when doing a tutorial on how to do something,you would make sure everything is working. The clockwork recovery is doing nothing but spinning around in circles.Sort of like my life...In circles and going absolutely nowhere. But i do apologize ahead of time if i'm doing something wrong. But it's just a link how can i be doing that wrong? Just click and go.right?

afhanson72

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
You would think when doing a tutorial on how to do something,you would make sure everything is working. The clockwork recovery is doing nothing but spinning around in circles.Sort of like my life...In circles and going absolutely nowhere. But i do apologize ahead of time if i'm doing something wrong. But it's just a link how can i be doing that wrong? Just click and go.right?

Check out this link: Root T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II [S2] Via ODIN [Guide]

Same directions as above post, all the links are working.

chefmorry

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I too am thinking of rooting my phone. I don't even know why. Why should I root? What ROM's are out there and worth my while?

I'm fairly new to android (was a BB user for decades). As a BB user, I installed each and every OS leak on my phone. I'm not worried about screwing up my SGS2, but am just trying to figure out exactly what's in my favor when I do so.

Also, if I do root, does anyone know if I'll be able to get Google Wallet working on my phone? I've tried the work arounds that were posted months ago, and got Wallet to install on my phone, but unfortunately it doesn't get past the load screen saying that "my device/country does not suppose wallet at this time." It's very frustrating having a phone with full NFC compatibility, but no real way of taking advantage of it!

acuda27

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I got an error while trying to install Superuser........It says

E:Error in /sdcard/su-3.0.5-efgh-signed.zip
(Status 0)
Installation aborted

.......And now it worked after doing a nandroid backup, it still gave me the error but superuser was installed :)
I watched a youtube video on it and it said the same thing on the guys phone but when he rebooted, superuser was installed.

justinbob

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
To root your Galaxy S, first download and install the Android SDK from Android SDK Download

The Android Debug Bridge (ADB) is an excellent tool which lets you manage your phone from your computer. It is included in the Android ASK installation alongwith USB drivers for your phone.

Download this file: update.zip and copy it to your SD card.

Connect your Samsung Galaxy S to your PC via USB and use the ADB console to type this command:

adb reboot recovery

In the recovery menu, select ?apply sdcard:update.zip? by pressing Home + Volume_Down

Your Galaxy S will now reboot and is successfully rooted. You now have root access to your phone as a Super User.

Ccarlton

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I take it that this is the most up to date way of rooting my now ICS updated phone?

I tried the old method and I dont think it worked. I am gonna run root checker and see.

If it doesnt take, where do I download the SDK and ADB? I didnt see any links.

npo

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
OP links broken

I just bought this for my son's birthday, since it's the same price as the iPod he wanted and he needs to get out of the iTunes world asap. Unfortunately, the links in the OP don't work anymore. Could someone please update them, or point me to a more recent thread with working links. I need to debloat this and make a few changes before his bd.

Thanks!!!!!

npo

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: OP links broken

Figured this out (with a bit of help from around the internets -- thanks to Jacques here at AndroidCentral, and of course those who wrote the ops here and elsewhere) and rooted last night with no trouble. Here's what I did, for those looking to do the same:

I basically followed this post at xda: [HOWTO] < THE ULTIMATE NEWB GUIDE > INSTALL CWM/TWRP | ROOT | UNROOT the SKYROCKET - xda-developers
it's for a different S2 variant, so I had to find CWM for the T989: recovery-cmw-hercules.tar ...when that link breaks you can find an updated one by googling "CWM recovery zip for T989"

This method is close to the same as in the OP here, but it's comforting that the xda post has screenshots of what Odin should look like before you hit "Start", and SuperSU seems to be preferred these days.

Links to the other downloads I used:
Odin v. 3.07: Download Odin 3.07
SuperSU: SuperSU Download

The method is pretty straightforward: You first install CWM Recovery, then boot into recovery and load the SuperSU zip. But of course follow the instructions & you should be fine.

A couple of other things you'll need to know:
- to connect to the computer via usb (to verify that your computer recognizes your phone): Settings-->Wireless & Networks-->More-->USB Utilities--> click "Connect Storage to PC" and plug in the usb.
- to boot into download mode (so you can connect to the computer & use Odin to load CWM): follow the instructions for the ATT GS3 in step 1.7 of the xda post.
- to boot into CWM Recovery: with phone off, hold down up & down volumes + power. When you see "SAMSUNG" on the screen, release the power button but continue to hold down both volumes.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: OP links broken

i needsome help...everytimei goto clockworkrecovery modit sayrecovery/log/error..italso no space left ondevice...left-handi tryto selecta option it freezes/or stuck...cansomebody helpme out there???

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante