i woke up this morning and a screen popped up on my phone that there was an update. when i chose to "proceed with installation" the phone restarted in to clockwork.

i tried choosing "update from sd card" but it said "installation aborted" bc there was no such file or directory.

does anyone know how i can apply this update to my phone? a friend of mine rooted it for me a while ago and im totally lost
    12-28-2011 07:31 AM
    i woke up this morning and a screen popped up on my phone that there was an update. when i chose to "proceed with installation" the phone restarted in to clockwork.

i tried choosing "update from sd card" but it said "installation aborted" bc there was no such file or directory.

does anyone know how i can apply this update to my phone? a friend of mine rooted it for me a while ago and im totally lost
    Download Samsung Kies install it on your computer, plug your phone in and it should prompt you to update it through there.

Download: Samsung
    12-28-2011 09:45 AM
    i'm going to try it when i get home... a couple of people told me that it wont update bc its rooted and that i have to unroot the phone first. is that true?
    12-28-2011 09:53 AM
    i'm going to try it when i get home... a couple of people told me that it wont update bc its rooted and that i have to unroot the phone first. is that true?
    You should still be able to update. You will lose root though. If that is something you want to keep I suggest you flash one of the ROMS on XDA. In case you don't know what CIQ is here is an explination: Carrier IQ: What it is, what it isn't, and what you need to know -- Engadget

ROM: [ROM] Tmoble SGH-T989UVKL1 Stock, Rooted, Lightly Tweaked, 100% [CIQ Free] - xda-developers
    12-28-2011 10:59 AM
    wow this is confusing thanks so much for the info. i guess ill lyk what happens....
    12-28-2011 11:10 AM
    wow this is confusing thanks so much for the info. i guess ill lyk what happens....
    If you need any help just let me know. Its not as confusing as it looks
    12-28-2011 11:14 AM
    If you need any help just let me know. Its not as confusing as it looks
    Can you please help? I downloaded the ROM zip file (took over an hour - lots in there). I also rooted my phone before but it was my first root and I don't want to brick it. Do I just open the zip file from the ROM manager?

This update won't go away even though T-mobile is saying it's optional.

Thanks!
    12-29-2011 03:40 PM
    Do you have clockworkmod recovery installed? If you do just boot into recovery via ROM manager wipe data/factory reset and install zip from sdcard
    12-30-2011 09:14 AM
    im going to do the update now. how to i get root back?
    01-02-2012 09:03 PM
    i did the update through kies, but i still have the notification on my phone that there is an update. when i click on it nothing happens.
    01-02-2012 09:36 PM
    im going to do the update now. how to i get root back?
    This is how you root: http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-m...axy-s-2-a.html

As far as removing the update notification, you need to download Titanium Backup once you are rooted and go to backup/restore and uninstall and app called device management V10.2.1
    01-04-2012 06:57 PM
    thanks i actually figured it out earlier today. you have been an awesome help
    01-04-2012 10:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD