4G toggle for SGS2?

lmc05

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
It's because Sprint's and T-Mobile's 4g networks are set up differently and because of that you don't get the terrible battery drain like you do with WiMax.

capcanuck

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Look up data toggle in the market.. the widget with the two arrows, one down one up, works well. Or flash juggernaut or beastmod rom, they have data toggles in the dropdown.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Horr1bleK1tten

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Look up data toggle in the market.. the widget with the two arrows, one down one up, works well. Or flash juggernaut or beastmod rom, they have data toggles in the dropdown.<br />
<br />

This one you speak of only disabled the Internet is there one that'll switch between 4G and 3g?

AllGood

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm just throwing out a guess here but I don't think it would be possible. There is no difference between 3g and 4g with tmobile. It all uses the same technology. You could compare it to a 33.6 dial up modem and a 56k modem, same technology just different connection speeds. As with LTE it would be like having a dial up modem and a cable modem and being able to select which of these you'd want to use.

sillar68

May 27, 2011
Visit site
This one you speak of only disabled the Internet is there one that'll switch between 4G and 3g?

I believe any toggle you find is going to be like turning off data from the settings in your phone. This is because there is not a separate radio and fequency on which T-mobile's 4g operates. The way I understand it, T-mobile's 4G is basically 3G that they "turned up to 11" a couple of years ago. It get's faster as the radios in the phones get better, like the T989 and the Amaze 4G with the 42Mbps HSPA+ radios as opposed to the the Galaxy S 4G's radio with 21mbps HSPA+. So when you turn off or toggle data off, you turn off HSPA/HSPA+.

That's a very rudimentary, and non-expert way of saying, you still only get data/no data options on t-mobile.

Can someone confirm or correct me here?

dobiegillis

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm just throwing out a guess here but I don't think it would be possible. There is no difference between 3g and 4g with tmobile. It all uses the same technology. You could compare it to a 33.6 dial up modem and a 56k modem, same technology just different connection speeds. As with LTE it would be like having a dial up modem and a cable modem and being able to select which of these you'd want to use.

This is an accurate statement. Why are you worried about this anyway? I don't think the hspa+ radio consumes any more power at 42mbps than at 14mbps, and that's the difference in TMo's "4G" being on the same radio chip. The big advantage to me is that the phone doesn't have to switch between radios to access 4G speeds. If the network and phone can support the speed you get it. Because VZW and Sprint use different 3G and 4G radios there is different battery consumption and potential delay in handing off between the networks.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20