Ok, here's the problem. I'm sitting at home and click on Maps. Up pops the blue triangle for my location, only it is a location that is 15 miles away in another city! Some condo at the beach instead of my place in the country. Nothing about the addresses are similar, not the road name, not the house number, nothing. If I jump in my truck and travel somewhere else, like the tmobile store 5 miles away, the current location will come up correct. I don't hve to travel that far for it to work properly, but I do have to get out of my home. This happens with any app that uses current location data, like Krispy Kreme hot donuts app, 411 free app, etc. As long as I am sitting at home the current location will be shown incorrect. I have the wireless on and the gps on. This troubles me for several reasons, the main one being in an emergency my phone would give out an incorrect location for me. Any suggestions?
    Samsung Galaxy S II
    Model Number: SGH-T989
    Android Version: 2.3.6
    Baseband Version: T989UVKL1
    Kernel Version:
    Build Number: GINGERBREAD.UVKL1
    01-12-2012 10:26 AM
    Have you tried this while on the T-Mobile network and not connected to wi-fi? Also are you sure that you have the latest version of the Google Maps app?
    01-18-2012 11:34 PM
    Most probable you are getting a wrong reading because of something called multipath signal

(google - multipath signal gps)

Gps signals will often not even penetrate a house and the location you get from your phone will then be based on triangulation from the signal towers rather than gps satellites, but if that is the case your location would not be off by the 15 miles you cited. That's why I think its more probable in this case that the signal is penetrating but it is a multipath signal and that would give you the kind of error that you have.
    01-18-2012 11:51 PM
    I have just updated the Maps app and will do testing when I get home tonight. I will post the results later tonight. I appreciate the responses.
    The multipath signal sounds like a legitimate reason for the problem, but is there something that can be done to fix the problem if that is it?
    01-26-2012 02:01 PM