Trade a SGSII for a Nexus

drhere

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I am thinking of selling my SGSII and getting a Google Nexus, I know the speeds are slower as the Nexus is a HSPA+21 device compared to HSPA+42 for the SGSII (although my speeds aren't the greatest anyway, I am in a HSPA+42 area, but don't get those speeds).

Do you think getting the pure Google experience along with no delays for OS is updates worth it?

I know I can still use visual voicemail, etc., but I am guessing I will lose wifi calling (?).

Thanks.

kennethpm777

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I ordered the Galaxy Nexus directly from Google, and returned it a few days later. I couldn't get any download speeds at all, and had connectivity problems with the wi-fi in my house.
i now have the SG II and everything is super.
:)

drhere

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I sold my SGSII and got my Nexus, so far so good, the SGSII was a good device, but I have no regrets getting the Nexus.

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I've been thinking about this lately. But I didn't realize that I might loose wifi calling, doh!

Has anyone tried Groove IP? I haven't used it myself, but have heard good things about it. It uses one's google voice number, which I think is pretty cool.

drhere

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone tried Groove IP? I haven't used it myself, but have heard good things about it. It uses one's google voice number, which I think is pretty cool.

I have the Pro version (used part of an Amazon credit to get it).

It's so-so, not dependable, depending how your data signal is, I was having so many issues with my T-Bolt so this played a factor, so it wouldn't be accurate. It worked and integrates itself well.

Edited to add:
I decided to try it my my Nexus on wi-fi, it is pretty bad, GrooveIP is not dependable, so it is not just the T-Bolt. I wouldn't depend on it if you really need a connection.

ungibbed

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
I had a tough time as I was shopping and narrowed between these two phones.

Wifi calling is crucial for me as I live on the far edge of town where my wireless signal drops to GPRS of all things. Not knowing if this feature was on the Nexus was a big gamble and the phone would not be covered under my insurance from Tmo.

The screen on the other hand and Gingerbread all in one package did sound great but after a lot of research, the Galaxy Nexus did not have the newer AMOLED technology in the Galaxy S2 so even with a 720p screen, pen tile jaggies and such would be apparent.

In the end, I decided on the S2 mainly for supported WiFi calling out of the box but needed a new SIM card due to some odd issue with that very feature so I'm happy that T-Mobile made good and took care of the issue beforehand.

While I do have a bit of buyer's remorse as of course the S3 just got announced, I love the sleek look of my phone and the camera really has impressed me. The S2 should last me a few years at least and perhaps by then, Apple and Samsung will stop with the legal nonsense and T-Mobile may have the iPhone 5s... ;)

drhere

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
My Gnex gets a better connection than my SGSII did, in my honest opinion, I think I got a bad device when I got my SGSII, maybe not, but my GSM Gnex is much better performance wise.
Regarding pentile, I have no issue with it, but if you do tilt it a certain way, you can see the difference so yes, the SGSII has a better display.

I am off contract now, and I am not going to sign another contract with any carrier, I have had enough of contracts, also, I wanted a pure ICS experience, and I have it.

I think the SGSII was a great device (sold it for $5 more than I paid so no loss :) ) but I like the Gnex.

ungibbed

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
If you got what you like and works out for you, that's all that matters really. I would have gone with the "Gnex", but being too far away from my tower, speed and calls drop so I needed WiFi calling.

Both are fantastic phones and with either way, short of the S3 the S2 and the Nexus are great. I'd love to see one in person to really see how the display looks with high definition gaming and a video or two.

drhere

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
If you got what you like and works out for you, that's all that matters really. I would have gone with the "Gnex", but being too far away from my tower, speed and calls drop so I needed WiFi calling.

Both are fantastic phones and with either way, short of the S3 the S2 and the Nexus are great. I'd love to see one in person to really see how the display looks with high definition gaming and a video or two.

True, I loved the SGSII, and T-Mobile wasn't too bad, once I was out of a contract, I sold it, and went unlocked, I bought 3rd party insurance for the phone for $59/yr., which comes out to the same monthly price Asurion was charging.
Anyway, I don't know if you watch Twit (This Week in Tech), the series of shows on Leo LaPorte's Twit network, another one I watch is All About Android on every Monday (I watch on my Roku box as they are uploaded as video and audio podcasts), but on Wednesday's they have a show called This Week in Google, and last Wed. episode, Leo got a SGSIII and was showing and demoing it.
If you're interested the details are here:

This Week in Google 150 | TWiT.TV

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12