04-22-2013 03:58 PM
63 123
tools
    People, find the ics image, factory reset, clear cache, and out the brand new fresh image on your phone. I did last night, a pain, but totally worth it. Phone is nice and peppy, no issues like before, no lag. A pain, but worth it. It cleared up all loose files all over the place too. Nice, clean, fast and lean. Oh, and root it too, so you can freeze unneccessary junk.
    06-18-2012 10:14 PM
    @Bob Marley,

Any chance you can post where you got the ics image and give a brief walk through of what you did?

Thanks...I have the same issues as the rest of you and getting a fun beep every 20 minutes which I think is viber playing in the background for no reason.
    06-19-2012 12:09 AM
    Does anyone see positive things with ics. I almost want to say I hate It. It was a nice improvement in the native email app but everything else sucks..at least for me.
    I think the stock email and stock browser were big improvements.

Is anyone else having problems after the ICS update? My s2 is waaaay sluggish after the update. Besides that there's a Mobilife contacts thing that pops up and says check king status even as I type this its freezing and sluggish.
    Both S2s in my family seem sluggish after the update. I'm hopping there is an update soon to fix this sluggishness. My S2 was fast and rock solid before the update. I do think that maybe I shouldn't have updated. Wonder if it is a conspiracy to try and get us all to update to an S3?

If you don't use it (I don't -- I sync with Google, not T-Mo), then dump it (the only way we can):

Menu -> Settings ->Accounts and sync
    • Turn MobileLifeContacts syncing off (you like how I used T-Mo's colors?

Then go back one level (to Settings) -> Applications -> "All" tab
    • Find MobileLife Contacts and open it, then tap "Clear Data" and that ought to do it. It'll be off and not wasting CPU cycles.
    I hope that works on stopping the MobileLife Contacts stuff.
    06-19-2012 07:41 AM
    @Ma3loom,

I'll try, I had multiple pages open, and was using a little bit of everything...
    Brief Summary:
    Rooted, cleared cache, factory reset, downloaded image of tmo ics, used Odin to flash the tmo ics rom onto phone, rooted again(not sure if this was necessary, but I did it anyway).

Remove your sd card, copy/move all your files, basically backup what you don't want to lose.
    1. -root.
    How to Root ICS/GB on T-Mobile Galaxy S2 SGH-T989! | Galaxy S2 Root

2. -clear cache. I did a darkside superwipe, but that soft bricked my phone. So I had to reinstall ics, but I'm super glad I did. You can clear cache when your in one of the 2 types of modes, (when you hold down the vol up/down button and get into the weird modes, one of the 2 modes has a clear cache option-go back to the rooting guide to get to it.)

3. -install new image. Download the image, use Odin and flash the new rom. (I downloaded an image from the tmobile.com forums, but this should be the same)
    (ODIN)(ICS)(LE1) SGH-T989_TMB_1_20120608172207_ugy1nehf4g - xda-developers

4. - I started the phone, then did a factory reset, not sure if this is necessary.

5. optional, install Titanium backup, it costs money, but it was the first app I bought, it's worth freezing unnecessary stuff.
    I also use setcpu, and underclock my cpu,

If anything doesn't make sense, pls look it up online or on xda, as I did.

Apps I have installed:
    Titanium Backup -freezing/deleting apps, I suggest freezing
    Setcpu - underclock your cpu, battery saver, it's dynamic, so the cpu mhz will ramp up when you need it
    Clockwork mod, not sure when I got this, probably when I first rooted, that was on Gingerbread.

Other resources.
    XDA forums, tmobile.com forums.

Like I said it's a pain, but it's worth it.

Downloading the image was the longest part of the ordeal, had to wait 45 minutes to download...

My reason for reimaging...
    I downloaded ics via kies, phone was laggy, not responsive, I cleared my cache, that created another issue where it got stuck at the goodbye screen, so that didn't help, so I super cleared my cache using darkside, that made my phone not even boot, it was stuck at the loading screen. So I got into download mode, installed the new Tmobile ICS image/rom, and everything has been great since then.
    06-19-2012 08:56 AM
    i had issues with the keyboard not showing up when trying to type into a field and bluetooth connectivity with my cars handfree system. a factory reset fixed all of that.
    06-19-2012 12:36 PM
    Wow,
    06-19-2012 01:24 PM
    I know many have said that even after a complete wipe of ics their phones were still lagging, but not mine. It's snappy worth a shot...make sure you backup first.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums
    06-19-2012 03:13 PM
    i backed up and did the complete wipe
    works like it should now
    very happy now
    if you havent wiped it yet, do it!
    06-20-2012 09:27 PM
    Ok. I lied. I'm still having bluetooth connectivity issues and the keyboard lags and delays when I try to reply to texts. I'm having t mobile replace my phone till. So that I can have my ginger bread back and just wait and see if there's a new patch before. I update to ics. Again
    06-21-2012 01:28 AM
    i backed up and did the complete wipe
    works like it should now
    very happy now
    if you havent wiped it yet, do it!
    I know contacts/calendar/paid apps are connected to my google account.

What did you use to back-up/restore your free apps/data? and SMS/MMS data?
    06-21-2012 10:50 AM
    sms/mms was backed up using kies, usb plugged into my laptop. since thats how i downloaded ics anyhow.
    with the apps, when i added my gmail account, play recognized it and started downloading my apps already since i had google sync activated.
    seamless!
    still no issues with the update since i did that. and believe me, before i restored, i was ready to quit it.
    06-21-2012 10:02 PM
    I installed apex and my phone runs smoother than before. How could this be. Its just super fast now. Its a shame I have to do this. Any how I think I'm going to run this instead of touchwiz. Till we get a maintenance update or I go to T-Mobile and get a new phone. But I don't want a refurbished one. If u can't fix the lag try this and post the results. Worst case u uninstall the apex launcher.
    06-21-2012 10:47 PM
    Not even a thank you from ma3loom, not ever am I going to take time to write up help instructions for someone on this forum again.
    06-22-2012 10:47 AM
    Not even a thank you from ma3loom, not ever am I going to take time to write up help instructions for someone on this forum again.
    Don't let it get to you. Even though you wrote it up for ma3loom, I'm sure others appreciate the instructions.

After I back everything up and do a clean wipe, if that doesn't fix what ails me, I was going to try and follow your instructions.
    06-22-2012 02:40 PM
    I and others appreciate your write up. Thanks a bunch.

My question is, did Samsung/Tmobile pull the update, cause I can't get it through Kies now.

Whenever I check for updates it says:

Latest version is installed.
    Installed Version : Ver.2.3.2..........
    06-22-2012 03:20 PM
    so i just got my replacement phone from t mo and now im debating if i should give ICS another shot or just keep it at factory gingerbread.

i didnt mind the update before ICS update, does anyone know if thats still available?
    06-22-2012 04:08 PM
    Help its always appreciated here in the forums. If it wasn't for pep like you we would be so lost. So thanks a lot BobMarley
    06-22-2012 05:05 PM
    Apps I have installed:
    Titanium Backup -freezing/deleting apps, I suggest freezing
    Setcpu - underclock your cpu, battery saver, it's dynamic, so the cpu mhz will ramp up when you need it
    Clockwork mod, not sure when I got this, probably when I first rooted, that was on Gingerbread.

Other resources.
    XDA forums, tmobile.com forums.

Like I said it's a pain, but it's worth it.
    @BobMarley - Thanks for the notes in your previous post, it made the whole process pretty painless (other than looking up the DarkSide Wipe information).

I was wondering if you could overclock the stock Tmo or if it had to be a custom ROM to overclock.

Also, does anyone have experience with CPU Tuner vs System Tuner vs SetCPU?
    06-26-2012 04:15 PM
    Everything (aside from the keyboard delay issue) has been fine until yesterday. Suddenly without warning it started getting hot and draining battery super fast. Wasn't charging with my normal USB hub anymore, just said charging but when you unplug it instantly dies. Tried removing battery etc and even after a full nights charge with the included charger/cable it still gets hot and drains battery within a few hours.

I haven't installed anything new or made any changes to settings. This is a completely random thing.

Going to try a factory reset tonight and hopefully that will get some results. I really shouldn't have to root my phone. If it comes to that I'll come back asking to get a vanilla ICS like the galaxy nexus.
    07-28-2012 03:52 PM
    UPDATE: looks like it was (for whatever reason) my work email account i had added in under the "Email" app. i removed the account completely and now my phone is room temp and battery is performing normally.

weird thing is, i've had it on push mode since forever (since i often need to know if emails come in when im away from my desk) and have never had any battery issues. will try adding it in later next week to see if i can figure out what settings to use. worst case scenario would be telling my boss i can't have email on the go.
    07-28-2012 10:47 PM
    On rare occasions, all the music and videos on my phone post ICS update (and a factory reset afterwards), I would end up with "ghost" copies of all my media files. Photos, music, and videos. All showing in the media library or music player etc.

The odd part is, the physical contents of my external MicroSD card (32GB class 10) remained unchanged. Four times now I had to fire up Astro and delete the cache folders. Never did this on Gingerbread.

I also get those odd moments of extreme sluggishness on a black screen while I feel my Galaxy S2 getting hotter during that event. Most often when using the camera app.

Using the stock update pushed over Kies from Tmo. I do hope for an update to fix these issues.
    07-31-2012 05:13 AM
    Though this sounds so wrong of me to say, I'm terribly grateful that I'm not the only one who feels that updating to ICS broke my phone.

It's aggravating as Hades.

I upgraded via Samsung Kies. T-Mo Galaxy S2.

Have multiple apps that freeze. Most of these are either multimedia type apps, or games. Phone itself often freezes and becomes unresponsive. Phone is sluggish, laggy, and just tends to generally bog.

I installed the update and cannot remember if I did a factory reset before I upgraded. I think I did not, thinking that the upgrade would either go through cleanly, or would wipe the phone. I backed up everything before I upgraded thinking I'd lose it.

When I noticed that the phone was not working correctly after update, I did a factory reset. That only helped a little bit.

I have been on the phone with T-Mo, and they had no advice to offer other than to try calling Samsung or I could root and install a custom rom. Samsung says it's a fault within the ICS upgrade or upgrade process. Phones that shipped with ICS already installed are not prone to any of these issues.

I was told that Google Dev is aware of the problem and a fix should be in the works. The only other advice I was given was that I could sit and wait it out or root and install a custom rom which would void my warranty. When I asked about reverting back to Gingerbread, I was told that was a bad idea with no real explanation as to why, but that ICS is still better than Gingerbread. At the moment, I disagree.
    08-05-2012 10:33 PM
    Thank you! Thank you! I'm still having issues despite rooting and installing a different rom. I'll try your way.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    08-09-2012 12:25 AM
    One of the major issues is the battery. The battery life time has reduced to great extent. Have not experienced any kind of sluggishness.
    08-09-2012 01:09 AM
    Who ever is saying that they not have issues with the recent ics update wake up there are numerous issues going on with all brands devices search the web and look around. All companys must correct theses issues asap google get to work
    08-11-2012 10:39 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD