JellyBean update for T Mobile Galaxy S II?

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Well, performance does vary with certain devices, so some problems that people encounter may not be present to others using different handsets.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Just did the update on my daughter's phone. I'm on Telus in Canada and it's the same T989D as T-Mobile. I did the update then a full factory reset. I think it is important to do that after any major update. The phone is way faster now. Love the update. Gave new life to a device that had limited life left in it. Good on Samsung to support this popular phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Enjoy Jelly Bean while you can, as there will be no further official updates for the device, as it seems. Samsung wouldn't see any profit for updating older devices anyway.

Thankfully, we already have custom ROMs that work for the T989 with Jelly Bean 4.2.2 built-in. :cool:

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Enjoy Jelly Bean while you can, as there will be no further official updates for the device, as it seems. Samsung wouldn't see any profit for updating older devices anyway.

Thankfully, we already have custom ROMs that work for the T989 with Jelly Bean 4.2.2 built-in. :cool:
Well I also have a Nexus 4, so I'm eating that Jellybean already. I'm satisfied with this being the last update on this phone. If people want longer term updates they have to buy a Nexus.

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Well I also have a Nexus 4, so I'm eating that Jellybean already. I'm satisfied with this being the last update on this phone. If people want longer term updates they have to buy a Nexus.

As much as I LOVE Nexus devices, they seem to lack features such as external microSD slots, dependable long-lasting batteries, etc.

Plus, I'm not too keen on Google urging me to use their cloud services for my media. I find locally stored music, videos and photos much more reliable, as you won't require a data connection to access such, and the Nexus 4's battery life and 16GB internal storage isn't any help either when you combine my audiophile-ness and addiction to mobile gaming. (This experience was gathered by a month's usage of a T-Mobile Nexus 4 and a Nexus 7. The latter gave me a more enjoyable experience, but phablet UI wreaks of "mega-sized phone UI". I just want the genuine tablet experience, not a hybrid of it. I'll be saving that for phones such as the Droid DNA, Galaxy Note 1 & 2, and maybe the Galaxy S4.)

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
As much as I LOVE Nexus devices, they seem to lack features such as external microSD slots, dependable long-lasting batteries, etc.

Plus, I'm not too keen on Google urging me to use their cloud services for my media. I find locally stored music, videos and photos much more reliable, as you won't require a data connection to access such, and the Nexus 4's battery life and 16GB internal storage isn't any help either when you combine my audiophile-ness and addiction to mobile gaming. (This experience was gathered by a month's usage of a T-Mobile Nexus 4 and a Nexus 7. The latter gave me a more enjoyable experience, but phablet UI wreaks of "mega-sized phone UI". I just want the genuine tablet experience, not a hybrid of it. I'll be saving that for phones such as the Droid DNA, Galaxy Note 1 & 2, and maybe the Galaxy S4.)
Good call. The S4 would be good for you too.

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Good call. The S4 would be good for you too.

Not sure if implied insult or not. :-\

Anyway, I already purchased a Galaxy S4 as of late, but I won't use it until a sufficient amount of software development is present for the device. What's the point with a 5-inch screen if you can't use a different UI? Plus, I'm not too keen on TouchWiz, since I prefer stock vanilla android.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if implied insult or not. :-\

Anyway, I already purchased a Galaxy S4 as of late, but I won't use it until a sufficient amount of software development is present for the device. What's the point with a 5-inch screen if you can't use a different UI? Plus, I'm not too keen on TouchWiz, since I prefer stock vanilla android.
Not an insult at all. The S4 is a fantastic phone as is the HTC One.

As for the UI. How about using a launcher instead? Nova or Lightening launcher are very good at giving you a custom UI.

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Not an insult at all. The S4 is a fantastic phone as is the HTC One.

As for the UI. How about using a launcher instead? Nova or Lightening launcher are very good at giving you a custom UI.

Huh, my mistake. It just seemed like an insult to me. :p

Anyway, Nova Launcher and Lightning Launcher are excellent choices if I want a customizable launcher, but when I mean UI, I meant the phone, phablet (Nexus 7), and tablet UI versions of Android, which have navigational buttons on the stock UI as seen on the Nexus devices. The Galaxy S4 already has a monster-sized screen for a phone, so sacrificing screen real-estate for an extra set of on-screen nav-buttons isn't a bad idea. Added to the fact that new devices don't get AOSP ROMs yet, I wouldn't rely on waiting for the CM, AOKP, eetc. team to develop a fully-stable Jelly Bean 4.2.2 custom ROM in less than a year.

In short, I want to change the Android UI for the Galaxy S4to stock, not so much the launcher. I can live with TouchWiz Home, it's the overall skin that I can't stand.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I
Huh, my mistake. It just seemed like an insult to me. :p

Anyway, Nova Launcher and Lightning Launcher are excellent choices if I want a customizable launcher, but when I mean UI, I meant the phone, phablet (Nexus 7), and tablet UI versions of Android, which have navigational buttons on the stock UI as seen on the Nexus devices. The Galaxy S4 already has a monster-sized screen for a phone, so sacrificing screen real-estate for an extra set of on-screen nav-buttons isn't a bad idea. Added to the fact that new devices don't get AOSP ROMs yet, I wouldn't rely on waiting for the CM, AOKP, eetc. team to develop a fully-stable Jelly Bean 4.2.2 custom ROM in less than a year.

In short, I want to change the Android UI for the Galaxy S4to stock, not so much the launcher. I can live with TouchWiz Home, it's the overall skin that I can't stand.
What about waiting to see if Google releases an upgraded Nexus 4? I've heard they may be bumping the storage. The battery hasn't been horrible for me. Certainly not the best out there but still gets me 3-4 hours of on screen time constantly. Especially after the last update.

SamsungGalaxySII

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I What about waiting to see if Google releases an upgraded Nexus 4? I've heard they may be bumping the storage. The battery hasn't been horrible for me. Certainly not the best out there but still gets me 3-4 hours of on screen time constantly. Especially after the last update.

I really do want to own a Nexus 4.... But I picked Nexus 10 instead... Oh well

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Accomplish

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Im having an issue. I just realized that back in April I could update via kies to JB from ics... Well I had to do 2 updates on the kies app, and then I was finally able to get it to connect to my computer. Well after dl'n the latest desktop icon blah blah stuff, im not being prompted to receive my update... Its kinda making me sad :(

jnexus

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Im having an issue. I just realized that back in April I could update via kies to JB from ics... Well I had to do 2 updates on the kies app, and then I was finally able to get it to connect to my computer. Well after dl'n the latest desktop icon blah blah stuff, im not being prompted to receive my update... Its kinda making me sad :(

Bummer. Does it still not find anything if you go to the pull down menu and manually check for updates?

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Sorry guys i'm sure this is posted somehow where but i'm struggling to find it. My buddy owns the T Mo Galaxy S2 (I own the S3) and he is still on GingerBread but wants to update to JB. The problem he's having, is Kies tells him there's a new firmware but when he tries to download it, it tells him to backup data. So he does, and then when he clicks to continue the update, it tells him to select what data to backup again and it goes in an infinite loop. Any suggestions or ideas what the problem might be? I'm pretty unfamiliar with Kies. Thanks!

O13

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Sorry guys i'm sure this is posted somehow where but i'm struggling to find it. My buddy owns the T Mo Galaxy S2 (I own the S3) and he is still on GingerBread but wants to update to JB. The problem he's having, is Kies tells him there's a new firmware but when he tries to download it, it tells him to backup data. So he does, and then when he clicks to continue the update, it tells him to select what data to backup again and it goes in an infinite loop. Any suggestions or ideas what the problem might be? I'm pretty unfamiliar with Kies. Thanks!

Update it with Odin it's faster an less of a hassle

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I What about waiting to see if Google releases an upgraded Nexus 4? I've heard they may be bumping the storage. The battery hasn't been horrible for me. Certainly not the best out there but still gets me 3-4 hours of on screen time constantly. Especially after the last update.

Hmm, that may be true considering all the posts concerning a white Nexus 4, but the day it comes out with an external SD card slot for expandable storage is when I plan to jump onto the Nexus bandwagon. For now, I'll stick with Samsung, as they get the concept of listening to what consumers want in their phones. (No brand loyalty here. I actually prefer HTC since they create great devices when they actually put effort into them.)

Posted via Android Central App

Ivy Vine

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Here's a link with steps an links to the things you need.
Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Official Firmware Update Available For Samsung Galaxy S2 T-Mobile Variant: How To Install It Manually [Tutorial]

What about for those using a Mac? I haven't tried yet to do the install using Kies (but I have it showing the update as available). Is there any other way for me to install if Kies messes up? I have been searching for an answer to this for the past 2 weeks, and I always just see the same thing as you listed. I actually found that site the same day I heard JB was available, but saw it was PC only.

O13

May 6, 2011
Visit site
What about for those using a Mac? I haven't tried yet to do the install using Kies (but I have it showing the update as available). Is there any other way for me to install if Kies messes up? I have been searching for an answer to this for the past 2 weeks, and I always just see the same thing as you listed. I actually found that site the same day I heard JB was available, but saw it was PC only.

I don't think it's possible doing it with a Mac

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol