I'm currently a proud owner of a Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V running Android 4.0.4 It's a great little phone- I'm guessing it is virtually indestrcutible- (I dropped it. ALOT. And spilled some water. Not even a hiccup!). It's a little phone that could and for something like this- it's amazing, but I feel it's time for an upgrade. As great as it is, let's face it. It's ancient. A 600MHz ARM V6 processor, 418MB of memory, and it's screen is only 3.2". It's opnly supposed to run Froyo. /FROYO/. That's pretty ancient. I'm looking for a new phone, but here's the catch- It has to be on a reasonably inexpensive pre-paid plan. (My parents don't want me to get a contract and I don't blame them, they can be expensive.) Virgin Mobile (My current carrier; 35 dollars a month with unlimited 3G) has only two "decent" phones- A 199.99 HTC One V. A SOLID phone but seriously, 512MB RAM and a SINGLE CORE 1GHz is really not a lot. On the other hand, they have the 300 dollar Evo V 3D with 4G, though it's not really something I want and it's a bit over my prace range- (Up to 250 USD).

While searching plans, I found T-Mobile's 30 dollar Monthly 4G plan. It's wonderful for me. I don't call much but I use lots of data and text alot. T-Mobile also has better coverage, and this is 4G. Not boring old 3G. (I don't mind 3G, but 4G is just better.) While thinking of decent phones I could manage to get GSM Unlocked, I thought Galaxy SII, Galaxy Nexus, and a few others. I looked all around Craigslist NYC, Amazon, Google, and Ebay for all phones and I found that on ebay the bids for a decent SII in decent condition could reasonably be bought for under $250 (T-Mobile/GSM). I'm wondering- Do I need the GSM or the T-Mobile variant, or will either work. Is this phone good and a value for the money? I really like the design and the specs on it. It also has lots of JB ROMs and Native ICS which is a HUGE plus.

Also, is there any difference between the SII with the Capacitive buttons and the one with a huge Home button? (P.S.: I like the one with all capacitive buttons more )

Thanks for reading this.Any answers/input is greatly appreciated.

Edit! I was looking at the ebay link again and found a website called Wirefly where they are offering a SII 4G for 100 bucks if I make a new account. Does this count with a Prepaid account? And if so, is the SII 4G compatible with normal SII roms?

Samsung Galaxy S II 4G for T-Mobile - Wirefly.com
    08-01-2012 06:39 PM
    1) You have to buy the t-mobile variant to use tmobile's mutant 4g. Once they finish their iPhone compatibility rollout, that won't be the case, but for now it is.
    2) That deal is for a 2 year contract on a "classic" plan. The catch for the $30 deal is that you pay the full price for the phone.

There are a couple of cheap tmo smartphones out there, but they aren't much better than what you have now (dart, Optimus T, etc.). If you're looking for a higher end phone without the price to match, ebay, craigslist, or maybe even your church bulletin can be good places to start your quest.

Sent from my Polaroid Tablet using Tapatalk 2
    08-03-2012 06:18 PM