Rooting & ROM questions

npo

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
So I bought a T-Mobile GS2 for my son's birthday next week, & I'd like to root it so I can debloat, run AdFree, etc, & perhaps switch ROMs. I've done all that on my GS3 (running Jelly Beans v5, which is flat-out amazing), but need some help on the GS2:

First off, is the year-old rooting with Odin method pinned above still the easiest way to start? The links in that post are broken (& at both Rootzwiki & xda too) , so I've been looking for a more recent guide to no avail. If anyone can point me to updated links or an updated guide it would be greatly appreciated. Or perhaps there's now an EZroot type app that works on this phone & would be faster than Odin?

2nd) if I can't find updated links, will the rooting method for another carrier's T989 work? (I've only ever rooted a Verizon GS3, so never had the option of other carriers' same model phones)

3rd) Can anyone recommend a TW-based ROM that they like much better than rooted stock?

& finally, if I want to run a different ROM, do I have to unlock the bootloader like I did on my Verizon GS3?

Thanks!!!!!

lethalgorman

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
If you go to. GalaxyS2root.com it is how I do all my hacking. Great instructions and videos. Also I have been running CM10.0 stable. The best ROM, jelly bean, I have found.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums

npo

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
A couple of updates:
1) rooted on 12/6, & I added a post at the end of the pinned "Sticky: How to Root T-Mobile Galaxy S 2" thread, with updated links and method.
2) My 11yo is in love with his phone! Mostly uses it as an iPod, but for the same price as the new iPod touches, this was a way better option... First 'cause it's a phone (duh), plus it's got an external sd slot, front & rear cameras, all ads blocked, a bigger screen, removable battery, & he's no longer tied to iTunes. Using $30/90day TMo pay-as-you-go for emergencies. Just running debloated, rooted stock for the time being.

Thanks again to all who helped!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20