Pros & Cons of Jelly Bean

LadyDi

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok, you have it. Now what? You like... You don't like... You want...

These are general top of the brain thoughts, so please do not criticize as I am only stating things I like but I am in no way complaining about the total experience having just added it. I still feel the phone is an awesome device and NO, I will not root.

CONS

I do not like the red hang up button in the dial pad
I do not like the text on the motion screen lock page. It's white everything yet the date is yellow. UGH
I want to remove the screen brightness from the task bar. never used it before, won't now.
I want to be able to use the message icon to dial Visual Voice, not the #800 voice mail
I want to open and close the dial pad again
I want a black UI on the dialpad
When you close the notification bar, I wish it were black not gray
Not feeling Home Screen Mode
I'm getting sporadic freeze ups in Handcent. Hmmmmmm...

PROS

I love the new notification bar
I love the UI of the stock alarm clock
I love settings being accessed from notification bar
I love how fast my phone seems to be
Love the new settings menu
Thank you for removing face recognition lock
Thank you for adding motion lock

SamsungGalaxySII

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Pros
1. Buttery smoothness on home screen trasition. Smooth overall.
2. Love the new look of my phone. Feeling like I have a new phone!
3. They divided Applications and widgets in app drawer.
4. Notification bar is way more useful.
5. The keyboard. They added swype typing... I like it. Also, key pads got smaller but I'm getting less typo when I type. Added more symbols.
6. Settings, they added more feature such as "Blocking Mode".
7. Overall stock app improvements. Like the camera, gallery, browser and so on.
8. Pop up play. Now I can enjoy surf the web while I watch a video!
9. Love the new weather widget. Nice and sleek.

Cons
1. The battery drains kinda faster than ICS...
2. More RAM usage do to the project butter.
3. Active Applications widget GONE!
4. Face Unlock GONE! Well I used it only few times but it was a definitely a fun feature.
5. The ripple like unlock feature is not there. ( GS3 and Note2 have this feature in their lockscreen.)
6. Smart Stay is not present in GS2.

I will add more as I'm experiencing with Jelly Bean :)
Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums

roberts68

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I agree, love the new look and feel of the update.
Love the improved Swype, much better recognition and accuracy.
Love the new gallery.

Hate that Bluetooth does not act correctly. Shuts off, and won't connect when manually turned back on.

Party on!

LadyDi

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I agree, love the new look and feel of the update.
Love the improved Swype, much better recognition and accuracy.
Love the new gallery.

Hate that Bluetooth does not act correctly. Shuts off, and won't connect when manually turned back on.

Party on!

I immediately activated my Motorola BT ear piece and so far so good. Hope you get better resolved. Another device maybe??

As for the update, have you found any issues that stand out, good or bad?

LadyDi

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Pros
1. Buttery smoothness on home screen trasition. Smooth overall. <- AGREE
2. Love the new look of my phone. Feeling like I have a new phone! <- Again, Agree
3. They divided Applications and widgets in app drawer. <- I put ADWEX on, missed that
4. Notification bar is way more useful. <- YES INDEED BUT... I can't turn off seeing almost an entire email in there
5. The keyboard. They added swype typing... I like it. Also, key pads got smaller but I'm getting less typo when I type. Added more symbols. <- SwiftKey user, missed that too. Not a Swyper
6. Settings, they added more feature such as "Blocking Mode". <- What was this for??
7. Overall stock app improvements. Like the camera, gallery, browser and so on. <- Love the gallery, do NOT like it's widget. Love camera icon. Use Boat Browser but did notice new web icon
8. Pop up play. Now I can enjoy surf the web while I watch a video! <- I have to do this as I've not played with that as yet. How??
9. Love the new weather widget. Nice and sleek. Fancy Widgets user, didn't like that so much

Cons
1. The battery drains kinda faster than ICS... <- Did a total wipe,then installed prior apps, battery is a wee bit faster.
2. More RAM usage do to the project butter. <- I am eating RAM like PacMan ate fruit
3. Active Applications widget GONE! <- I don't think I'll miss this one
4. Face Unlock GONE! Well I used it only few times but it was a definitely a fun feature. <- Never used it, won't miss it YAY
5. The ripple like unlock feature is not there. ( GS3 and Note2 have this feature in their lockscreen.) <- I'm loving the sporadicness of motion lock. If you could see me tilting my phone all around when it gets STUCK. Laughter, laughter, grrrrrrr...... :-D
6. Smart Stay is not present in GS2. <- not sure what it is but I doubt I'll miss it

I will add more as I'm experiencing with Jelly Bean :) <- thank you for sharing. I am glad someone else loves their G2 as much as me. See you back whenever time permits!!

scajjr29

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Have only had my S2 for 3 weeks. Just did the update to Jelly Bean a few min ago and like it alot. Phone is definitely faster responding. I had problems typing with Swype on ICS but on jellyBean I don't seem to have the same problems.
I did notice if you access the Applications from the Settings menu, it seems to auto ram clear. I saw the amount being used (shows in lower left) drop as I was viewing.
Like how on the Notifications it shows voice and data usage.
Got my fiance an S2 last week for her birthday, going to do her update now.

Sam

scajjr29

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
found this on another forum:

"You get to the task manager by long pressing the home key while in just about any app then tapping the icon on the bottom left that looks like a pie chart."

Works. You can clear ram from there.

Sam

LadyDi

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Have only had my S2 for 3 weeks. Just did the update to Jelly Bean a few min ago and like it alot. Phone is definitely faster responding. I had problems typing with Swype on ICS but on jellyBean I don't seem to have the same problems.
I did notice if you access the Applications from the Settings menu, it seems to auto ram clear. I saw the amount being used (shows in lower left) drop as I was viewing.
Like how on the Notifications it shows voice and data usage.
Got my fiance an S2 last week for her birthday, going to do her update now.

Sam

Sam, odd that you mention the voice and data usage in the notification area. Prior to installing JB, I had it checked off in T-Mo's app to allow that. Are you telling me it is standard now?? Hmmm... off I go to check that out if so. Glad you are enjoying the JB experience. Hope your fiance has fun with it too.

LadyDi

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
found this on another forum:

"You get to the task manager by long pressing the home key while in just about any app then tapping the icon on the bottom left that looks like a pie chart."

Works. You can clear ram from there.

Sam

Yep I found that thanks to SamsungGalaxyII as well as the active applications tab and more. Thank you again.

vito032

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
The multi shot setting in the camera ifs missing. I used it a lot with my kids.

vito032

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
This is a example if the actionshot mode.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1365975103191.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365975103191.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 29

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I already knew that we'd lose a few features after the update, but all that's made up for the butter-smooth experience Jellybean offers.

Anyway, I'm alright with any downsides to the update except for less battery life and RAM usage. I don't experience less battery, but RAM disappears fast, especially when you use heavy apps and games.

Quirks aside, we should be all glad to have access to JB android. ;)

SamsungGalaxySII

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I never knew about multi shot either. So sad I never got to play with it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Me too. I never even noticed there was a multi shot feature on my camera in ICS. I knew there was a panorama mode though...

LadyDi

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Me too. I never even noticed there was a multi shot feature on my camera in ICS. I knew there was a panorama mode though...

And I never used panorama either. I need to just because I can. LMBO

Ok, found some more interesting things:

CONS

Restarting the phone asks me for which home screen to start. I have ADWEX and the stock, of course. Choosing always is not a set in android memory option.

Plugging in headphones gives a notification bar of options that never go away while headphones are plugged in.

Brightness in notification bar needs to be disabled.

PRO
The cursor is blue everywhere

roberts68

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
And I never used panorama either. I need to just because I can. LMBO

CONS

Restarting the phone asks me for which home screen to start. I have ADWEX and the stock, of course. Choosing always is not a set in android memory option.

Plugging in headphones gives a notification bar of options that never go away while headphones are plugged in.

PRO

I don't have any of those cons you just listed with my update.

LadyDi

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't have any of those cons you just listed with my update.

So you do not see the brightness dimmer in the notifications bar?? Have you plugged in headphones? And the other issues MIGHT be ADWEx related not sure.

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
A

CONS

PRO

The first two items you've mentioned SHOULD be adjustable to your liking in settings. However, I find the screen brightness control in the notifications bar useful, as it saves me time instead of having to open up settings>display to adjust screen brightness.