S2 Auto Updated to Jellybean

rdthq

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I was a little surprised today when I went to look at my phone's display and saw a tutorial for Google Now. After going though the prompts I checked the version of Android and it updated automatically from 4.0 to 4.1.2. No complaints but as mentioned a bit shocked as I had not read about a upgrade for the T-Mobile S2.

Anyone else get this update?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I was a little surprised today when I went to look at my phone's display and saw a tutorial for Google Now. After going though the prompts I checked the version of Android and it updated automatically from 4.0 to 4.1.2. No complaints but as mentioned a bit shocked as I had not read about a upgrade for the T-Mobile S2.

Anyone else get this update?

I don't have T-Mo, but I ma surprised. I thought that device wasn't going to go any further than 4.0 on that network.

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
If you're into the rooting/ROMing scene, you can already use Jelly Bean 4.2 on this Galaxy SII variant.

Posted via Android Central App

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't have T-Mo, but I ma surprised. I thought that device wasn't going to go any further than 4.0 on that network.

This device will stop at 4.2.2 ,along with the note 2, s4, and s3, no official update in the works for 5.0 lime pie, as of now, only quad core or more devices will be officially supported

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AC Forums mobile app

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
This device will stop at 4.2.2 ,along with the note 2, s4, and s3, no official update in the works for 5.0 lime pie, as of now, only quad core or more devices will be officially supported

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AC Forums mobile app

I highly doubt the S4 will be stopped at 4.2. That device should get 5.0. The S3 may stop at 4.3 along with the Note 2 (which is a quad core). I am not even inclined to believe that the S2 will get 4.2.

Last edited:

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I highly doubt the S4 will be stopped at 4.2. That device should get 5.0. The S3 may stop at 4.3 along with the Note 2 (which is a quad core). I am not even inclined to believe that the S2 will get 4.2.

I agree with the update subject concerning the S4 and S2 but I'm pretty skeptical about the S3, which runs 4.2 ROMs superbly unlike the S2 in some cases. (With the Galaxy S2, ROMs compiled with the Linaro Toolchain run just as fast as 4.1 ROMs but there's still a substantial amount of stutter now and then.)

Either way, I'm honestly surprised that the Galaxy S2 even received Jelly Bean officially.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the update subject concerning the S4 and S2 but I'm pretty skeptical about the S3, which runs 4.2 ROMs superbly unlike the S2 in some cases. (With the Galaxy S2, ROMs compiled with the Linaro Toolchain run just as fast as 4.1 ROMs but there's still a substantial amount of stutter now and then.)

Either way, I'm honestly surprised that the Galaxy S2 even received Jelly Bean officially.

I will wholeheartedly admit I may be wrong, I am just guessing. My logic is thus: with 4.3 in the works, 5.0 isn't going to come out for a while, at least another year, or based on the average release timeframe Google has set in the past. That makes the S3 another year older and less likely to receive a major update. That device originally shipped with 4.0, so to get even 4.3 would be huge.

A lot of people should be happy they got 4.1. For a while it looked like the S2 wouldn't even get 4.0. The S2 overall had 3 major updates. Shipped with 2.3 to 4.0 to 4.1.

I honestly hope 5.0 will be a complete rebuild from the ground up.

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Got the update at Samsung Experience a month ago. Seems to be working OK, but then I'm not that knowledgable. One thing: a beta version of what I guess is a new version of Google Nav replaced the app I had and it doesn't work as well or as logically as the original. Tried to reload the original but it was quickly overridden by the new. I'm unhappy. What to do? RBK.

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Got the update at Samsung Experience a month ago. Seems to be working OK, but then I'm not that knowledgable. One thing: a beta version of what I guess is a new version of Google Nav replaced the app I had and it doesn't work as well or as logically as the original. Tried to reload the original but it was quickly overridden by the new. I'm unhappy. What to do? RBK.

Google Navigation was updated in conjunction with Google Maps. Personally, I like the cleaner UI better but functionality seems to have been sacrificed for a cleaner look. Thankfully, I had a backup of the previous version on TiBu and reverted back to it once I found out how borked Google Navigation is now.

RedMageX

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
The 4.1.2 update for the Galaxy S2X was released back in the spring (on Canadian provider Koodo) and others much earlier. I don't see the cause for surprize, unless you were completely unaware that the update was already in the works.

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
GS2 auto update about three weeks ago to 4.1.2 - surprise. Smoother and the nav is much more stable - does not show as beta. Bob Keesecker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty