Battery not fully charging and draining quickly.

pullmystrings

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I purchased a Galaxy S2 from T-Mobile about a week ago, and I've noticed that when I charge it, it seems to fully charge, but as soon as I unplug it from the power source (outlet, laptop), the charge immediately drops down to 97%. This is my first smartphone, so I'm really not sure what the problem could be or if it actually is a problem. Furthermore, the battery seems to drain rather fast, in my opinion. For example, browsing Tumblr (using wifi) for approx. 20 minutes will cause the battery to go from 97% to 90%. Is this something I should be concerned about?

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I purchased a Galaxy S2 from T-Mobile about a week ago, and I've noticed that when I charge it, it seems to fully charge, but as soon as I unplug it from the power source (outlet, laptop), the charge immediately drops down to 97%. This is my first smartphone, so I'm really not sure what the problem could be or if it actually is a problem. Furthermore, the battery seems to drain rather fast, in my opinion. For example, browsing Tumblr (using wifi) for approx. 20 minutes will cause the battery to go from 97% to 90%. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Touchwiz is known to be inaccurate when it comes to detecting battery levels. A reboot should solve the problem.
Also, battery usage like that is pretty much normal this time around on Jelly Bean.

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

The cause of this is no error at all, touchwiz stock is built with a sort of security feature because for all of us who charge our phones overnight, it is very bad to let it sit charging at 100% for long periods of time, it causes a shorter life of our lith-ion battery, to prevent that any time spent on the charger more than 10min at 100% the system let's the battery drop to between 96-98% so that it doesn't hurt the battery, as far as u draining it quickly, average screen on time can go from 3 to 7hrs so, depending on howbu use ur phone, it matters

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AC Forums mobile app

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

That's normal because it's bad for the battery to stay at 100% according to a battery university.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The cause of this is no error at all, touchwiz stock is built with a sort of security feature because for all of us who charge our phones overnight, it is very bad to let it sit charging at 100% for long periods of time, it causes a shorter life of our lith-ion battery, to prevent that any time spent on the charger more than 10min at 100% the system let's the battery drop to between 96-98% so that it doesn't hurt the battery, as far as u draining it quickly, average screen on time can go from 3 to 7hrs so, depending on howbu use ur phone, it matters

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AC Forums mobile app

With my experience on lith-ion batteries, leaving your phone charged for extended amounts of time is not actually lethal for the battery: it just keeps it charged. Even then, the phone shuts off the current once the battery is at 100% and will activate once the battery is under that percentage.

What is considered 'deadly' for such delicate batteries is depleting its overall charge. Lithium Ion batteries do NOT like being empty.

Glen Williams1

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
My Galaxy S2 in the past month has totally gone screwy as far as charging is concerned....sometimes it charges fine other times it just continues to reboot again again when connected and doesn't charge at all other times it won't recognize the charger at all, other times it actually drains what was left in the battery when connected to charger!!!
Out of warranty so now I have to decide tom possibly waste money on trying another battery with the possibility of that being a waste of money if it's a phone issue.
Have to save not impressed with Samsung for a phone just over a year old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel