I've had a smart phone for 3 months. It is not growing on me. I think it is a control thing. I'm constantly fighting Google Now (the butler). The butler thinks it owns the phone. I think I'm in charge. Silly me.

I never liked the butler, but he seemed to stay out of my hair for the first month I had the phone. After about a month, voice dictation stopped working due to the butler needing to be involved. The butler wanted more access to my life info or something, and wouldn't let me use voice recognition unless I agree to his terms.

I told the butler to bug off, and continue to do so. I'm in charge. Half of my interaction with the phone is holding down the 'home' button and checking to see if the butler is hiding in the background. If I find him, I swipe right and imagine him getting deleted from the phone's memory. Of course, it doesn't get rid of him. He will be back in a few minutes.

For about a week, the butler wouldn't even let me use the keyboard.

After a week of going without a keyboard, I figured out how to erase the butler's brain (I think I do a reset). This allows the keyboard to work, as long as I don't hit the microphone key by mistake. If I hit that key, I have to erase the butler's brain, again.

I've tried using the butler's card system, but he really doesn't do anything I need. The butler begs me to listen, but I don't want him around until he learns some manners and only appears when I request his presence.

Has anyone won this battle with Google Now? I saw something called 'the assistant' by speaktoit. The demo looked pretty nice. I'd try it out, but my wife has the phone. She likes the GPS features and I wanted the butler out of the house.
    07-20-2013 03:31 PM
    Sounds to me like you really need to learn to use your phone. gNow is highly configurable, and can be turned off completely if you really don't want to use it. I've never had gNow interfere with a keyboard, nor interfering with voice dictation. I don't find it intrusive at all, and I find it very useful to be able to say "Navigate to xx hotel, Jacksonville ,Fl" or something along those lines, and it just does it. Almost magic.

But if you don't like it, turn it off.
    diecastdonkey likes this.
    07-20-2013 04:23 PM
    Google now is the future :-).

It can be turned off or limited to what you want it to do. Browse through the settings and what customizations you can set.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
    07-21-2013 10:40 AM