Trying to run musical instruments, but finding the latency to be problematic. I thought it was just the version of Android you were running, but according to the text I've pasted below, the improvements in JB 4.2 can only be realized if your smartphone has the hardware to take advantage of it.

I've been looking for hours to find which devices can deliver on low latency performance. Any idea if the S2 is one of those devices? If so, that would motivate me to root the phone and upgrade to 4.2 or 4.3.

Low-latency audio

Android 4.2 improves support for low-latency audio playback, starting from the improvements made in Android 4.1 release for audio output latency using OpenSL ES, Soundpool and tone generator APIs. These improvements depend on hardware support devices that offer these low-latency audio features can advertise their support to apps through a hardware feature constant. New AudioManager APIs are provided to query the native audio sample rate and buffer size, for use on devices which claim this feature.
    11-19-2013 07:38 PM
    Well, knowing that this device was made in 2011, back when 4.0.x was the latest version (As far as I know? My memory's not as sharp these days ^^'), I'm pretty sure that the SGH-T989 doesn't have the required hardware to run such low-latency support, despite having two mics but you never know exactly.

I'll look more into it if that'll help.
    11-20-2013 11:13 PM
    Surprised there's not more info on this. But from the research I've done, apparently only the google Nexus phones are hardware compliant.
    11-25-2013 02:58 PM