CM11 (4.4.x) for T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy SII

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
This thread will mainly serve as a portal for CyanogenMod11 for Hercules (T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy SII). I don't claim ownership of CM nor am I a maintainer of it for this particular handset.^^

CyanogenMod 11

Bugs (Based on personal experience using it and feedback from others via forums such as XDA):
  • Audio tweaks such as ViPER will work but the effects tend to disappear after a while and you'll need to return to the app for them to reengage The latest nightly seems to have remedied the issue as I've had no loss in effects from ViPER. However, you need to have ViPER as a system application so the OS won't constantly shut it down after a little while.
  • Camcorder is still inoperable (TeamChopsticks has stated that they've implemented a few fixes for camcorder but it's not 100% yet)
  • Video playback is still a mixed bag: it may work or it may not work(Youtube is excluded). I presume it will not work at all if LPA audio is disabled.
  • Network speeds are a bit slower than on previous versions as we can't attain DCSPAP (DC) as far as I know. This may just be a limitation for this OS version regarding our device but you never actually know.
  • A few crashes and instability issues with the initial switching to ART runtime though it should stop after a few reboots.
  • Battery level glitches seen in a few nightly builds. (the 19 nightly has the fix so it's all good)
  • More I may have missed

Most forums state to use a specially compiled CWM recovery module specifically for our device to flash 4.4 but I suggest TWRP as CWM doesn't really format partitions too well IMO. Either way, both recoveries should flash CM11 successfully. For TWRP, 2.6.1.0 is recommended as 2.6.3.0 has been known to cause bootloops and a few softbricks in between.

I forgot to mention one thing: ART. Being a qualcomm-based handset, ART should work on Hercules and is faster at loading apps than dalvik but you need to have a gapps package which is compatible with ART. Oh, and expect longer installation times for apps if you use ART as your phone's runtime. (Also, boot time will be abysmally long due to android needing to optimize every app for ART)

gapps compatible with ART: http://d-h.st/hSL

(As for all custom firmware, CyanogenMod, its affiliates or even I, a mere fan of their hard work in bringing the latest OS version for this aging device are not responsible for any damages which shall happen to your device. You chose to flash this onto your handset :p)

http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=hercules

(screenies shall come in a later update either today or tomorrow via another OP)
(Screenies now posted in next OP ^-^)

Last edited:

O13

May 6, 2011
Visit site
How's your battery life?
On ROMs before it was possible to send MMS without data on, data would just turn on to send MMS an turn back off is it still possible to do dat? If so I couldn't find it

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
How's your battery life?
On ROMs before it was possible to send MMS without data on, data would just turn on to send MMS an turn back off is it still possible to do dat? If so I couldn't find it

Battery life is pretty solid with medium usage, especially with Cl3Kener's UBER kernel. (I usually keep my CPU governor to HYPER and I/O scheduler to deadline with my maximum CPU clock speed at 1620 MHz. No, I wouldn't recommend this setup if your main focus is to extend battery life.)

Also, is the MMS feature previously aforementioned something found within a CM build? If not, it won't be in the CM11 nightly builds though I'm pretty sure disabling data on your device will have the same effect as MMS messages are still sent.

O13

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Battery life is pretty solid with medium usage, especially with Cl3Kener's UBER kernel. (I usually keep my CPU governor to HYPER and I/O scheduler to deadline with my maximum CPU clock speed at 1620 MHz. No, I wouldn't recommend this setup if your main focus is to extend battery life.)

Also, is the MMS feature previously aforementioned something found within a CM build? If not, it won't be in the CM11 nightly builds though I'm pretty sure disabling data on your device will have the same effect as MMS messages are still sent.

Yeah the MMS feature was on CM10.1
With data off, data would turn on to send MMS an then turn off

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Yeah the MMS feature was on CM10.1
With data off, data would turn on to send MMS an then turn off

Then yes, it should be present in CM11 but I'll double check for ya to make sure :p

O13

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Then yes, it should be present in CM11 but I'll double check for ya to make sure :p

Thanks. I tried on the alpha builds but it didn't work haven't tried nighties yet. And I don't think dat feature was present on CM10.2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
(This will be a placeholder post until I can get on a PC to be able to edit the OP properly)

A few new things:

-camcorder is now 100% working BUT you cannot flash custom kernels until they're updated with them or you will lose the camera fixes
-all CM builds and any other ROM builds from CM based ROMS past 0409 have the memory leak and systemui crashes caused by CM's theme engine.
-DCSPAP has been implemented again as DC-HSPA.
-Video playback is now fully fixed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk