Phone stuck in boot loop after installing Cyanogenmod 11

gwparcon

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I recently flashed Cyanogenmod 10.2 onto my T-Mobile Galaxy S2 T-989, and then upgraded to CM 11. After upgrading, I am now stuck in a boot loop - when I press the power button, the phone goes into a cycle of vibrating, showing the Samsung logo for a second or two, and then going black.

Can anyone help with the button combination to hit in order to enter TWRP? It would be really great if there was a solution!

Thanks!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I recently flashed Cyanogenmod 10.2 onto my T-Mobile Galaxy S2 T-989, and then upgraded to CM 11. After upgrading, I am now stuck in a boot loop - when I press the power button, the phone goes into a cycle of vibrating, showing the Samsung logo for a second or two, and then going black.

Can anyone help with the button combination to hit in order to enter TWRP? It would be really great if there was a solution!

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums.
Should be Volume up and power. Pull the battery for several minutes and try that.

gwparcon

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.
Should be Volume up and power. Pull the battery for several minutes and try that.

Thanks very much for your reply! I've been trying lots of combinations, Vol up and power doesn't seem to do it, but I'm getting close with Vol up, Vol down, power, and Home. When I hit all of those at once after replacing the battery, it brings me to the full screen TeamWin logo for a couple of seconds, and then it goes away and back into boot loop. It seems like I'm almost getting into recovery, but I'm doing something not quite right.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks very much for your reply! I've been trying lots of combinations, Vol up and power doesn't seem to do it, but I'm getting close with Vol up, Vol down, power, and Home. When I hit all of those at once after replacing the battery, it brings me to the full screen TeamWin logo for a couple of seconds, and then it goes away and back into boot loop. It seems like I'm almost getting into recovery, but I'm doing something not quite right.

Maybe flashing an older version of TWRP?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Forgive my ignorance, but how would I do that? I did try putting an older version of TWRP onto the SD card, but since I am stuck in the boot loop, I don't know how to flash it.

I would have thought the recovery could be flashed via Odin.

gwparcon

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I would have thought the recovery could be flashed via Odin.

Thank you! I hadn't thought of that, so I gave it a shot. I don't have access to a Windows computer, so I tried installing Heimdall on a Mac, which I read is more or less equivalent. Looking around the web, though, I couldn't find the file that Heimdall could flash onto the phone. I don't know what kind of file it wants for the "Heimdall Firmware Package", and the TWRP and CWM packages that I tried end in .img, which Heimdall doesn't recognize.

One time, so far, in my button pressing, I've gotten the phone to actually enter TWRP, but once I was in there, I didn't know what to do, and foolishly exited, not knowing how hard it was going to be to get back in. Is there any way to consistently enter TWRP?

Thanks again, so much!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you! I hadn't thought of that, so I gave it a shot. I don't have access to a Windows computer, so I tried installing Heimdall on a Mac, which I read is more or less equivalent. Looking around the web, though, I couldn't find the file that Heimdall could flash onto the phone. I don't know what kind of file it wants for the "Heimdall Firmware Package", and the TWRP and CWM packages that I tried end in .img, which Heimdall doesn't recognize.

One time, so far, in my button pressing, I've gotten the phone to actually enter TWRP, but once I was in there, I didn't know what to do, and foolishly exited, not knowing how hard it was going to be to get back in. Is there any way to consistently enter TWRP?

Thanks again, so much!

My fault, should have said something. Clear cache and factory reset.

gwparcon

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
My fault, should have said something. Clear cache and factory reset.

Ok, cool, how do I do that? At this point, when I'm pressing all three physical buttons to turn the phone on, after showing the Samsung logo, it shows the TeamWin logo for a couple of seconds, then goes into the boot loop, so I don't know how to clear the cache and do a factory reset. Are those operations I can do once I get into TWRP?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok, cool, how do I do that? At this point, when I'm pressing all three physical buttons to turn the phone on, after showing the Samsung logo, it shows the TeamWin logo for a couple of seconds, then goes into the boot loop, so I don't know how to clear the cache and do a factory reset. Are those operations I can do once I get into TWRP?

Yes.
At this point I would almost consider flashing ClockWorkMod in Odin. Hopefully that can work.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok, thank you very much. I'll try using Odin next time I can get access to a Windows machine. I really appreciate your help!

I keep forgetting...you can probably do that via Heimdall too.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
If you're installing a ROM update which will change versions, you need to wipe system as well and flash gapps for the new version.

To answer your question, hold the volume rocker and the power button until the screen shuts off. When that happens, remove your finger from the power button but keep the volume rocker pressed until the Samsung logo appears and the depress. If you do it right, TWRP will appear

gwparcon

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Many thanks to both of you. I was able to get the phone into TWRP by holding Vol up and Vol down, and repeatedly hitting and releasing the power button until the TeamWin logo slid away to show the TWRP interface. Then, I flashed CM 10.2.

Happy New Year, and thank you so much!

jmesser1981

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site

Can anyone help with the button combination to hit in order to enter TWRP? It would be really great if there was a solution! phone off hold all three buttons let go of power after vibration that should be recovery. phone off hold volume plug into computer starts download mode

Thanks!

yamilexcolon

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
hi i have a problem with my galaxy s2 i have the cyanogenmod and i was going to sell it and i decided to do a factory reset then when i power up the cyanogenmod logo is stuck the logo keeps moving but it stays there. What can i do?

yamilexcolon

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
hi i have a problem with my galaxy s2 i have the cyanogenmod and i was going to sell it and i decided to do a factory reset then when i power up the cyanogenmod logo is stuck the logo keeps moving but it stays there. What can i do?

nanosp

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

VOL UP + DOWN + Power button.. after the Samsung logo pops up release the power button, should boot into recovery. Wipe cache and dalvik, then wipe data/factory reset. Reboot and it should work after that

eliadrin

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
So I have the same exact problem only ,I cannot go pass the teamwin logo.
When booting to recovery(vol up+dwn+pwr) the phone stays on the logo no meter what button I push, the only way to quit is to remove the battery. Any ideas?