2 amp charger

XFonz07

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I've been hearing a lot about these 2 amp chargers charging devices really really fast. I heard them talking about it on the podcast also but I was wondering if they were safe to use with this device? If so I'm gonna purchase a few. I don't want to damage my new battery so that's why I'm posting this. Thanks.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

Unfranchise33

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I know other batteries can be damaged if you charge them too fast and the battery gets too hot. I would stick with the one that came with the phone to be safe.

Swyped from my Evo 4G using Swagged Out Stock ROM and Tapatalk.

jaltman

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Theoretically, its the battery that has the regulator. The 2 amp rating of the charger speaks to its capacity and not what it will actually charge at. If the battery charges too fast or too hard, it should be the battery's fault, not the charger. This is not to say that the battery you are charging is not poorly regulated and needs the more limited power of the 1 amp charger to stay in spec.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Android Central Forums

camiller

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
To amplify the previous, while the charger may supply up to 2A, if the phone only draws 700mA that is all it is going to draw.

Also, a lot of 2A chargers are designed for iDevices and their weird way of the charger signaling to the device that it is ok to draw max power. Absent fairly specific voltages on the data lines iDevices will either assume they are connected to a computer and only draw 500mA, or they won't charge at all (I know some newer macs have higher power USB ports but lets ignore that for now). However, most non-iDevices simply look for the two data lines to be shorted together to let them know they are connected to a dedicated high power charger and not a computer. That means that most non-iDevices will not recognize 2A chargers that are designed for Apple products as being high-power and so the phone will only draw 500mA even hooked up to a 2A charger.

Mothman_66

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
To amplify the previous, while the charger may supply up to 2A, if the phone only draws 700mA that is all it is going to draw.

Also, a lot of 2A chargers are designed for iDevices and their weird way of the charger signaling to the device that it is ok to draw max power. Absent fairly specific voltages on the data lines iDevices will either assume they are connected to a computer and only draw 500mA, or they won't charge at all (I know some newer macs have higher power USB ports but lets ignore that for now). However, most non-iDevices simply look for the two data lines to be shorted together to let them know they are connected to a dedicated high power charger and not a computer. That means that most non-iDevices will not recognize 2A chargers that are designed for Apple products as being high-power and so the phone will only draw 500mA even hooked up to a 2A charger.
Hear... Hear... Well said!

Posted via Android Central App