How to Root Galaxy T-Mobile Galaxy S3!

latinlady

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
i have what might be a silly question. Im new to Andriod so pls forgive me. What exactly does rooting do and what can i change on the phone once its done. for example will i be able to get the normal yellow smielys back instead of these green little android which i hate so much. Ive come over from a Blackberry which had hundreds of regular yellow smileys and i want them back without having to use a different app like sms pro or handcent which seems to mess my phone up. please reply i would really appreciate it. THANK YOU!!!!!!!:)

pufntrees

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
whats the advantages of rooting?
and will i be able to tether my phone once tmobile gets that unlimited data plan once i root?
i heard they said u wont be able to tether if u get that plan

lalinap

May 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to sound like a noob but this was my first time rooting my phone. I just received my galaxy s3 yesterday and your step by step instructions made it super easy and quick. Thanks!

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
CWM either did not install properly or simply won't boot. I got the PASS!! message in Step 9, but it never rebooted into CWM from there, nor could I make it happen manually.

I did have the OTA to 4.1 before I tried to root, if that makes a difference.

CarlosinNYC

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I have gone through this process with my Sprint Galaxy S 3 L710 but when I open BusyBox Free I get a message, "There was a problem opening a shell with root access. This is either being caused by superuser/supersu or by a device that is improperly rooted...." I tried the installation procedure for installing the files in GalaxyS3RootSprint.zip over and over again several times with no change in results. I used the Root Checker app to verify that I have no root. The superuser app has appeared on my phone but it is not functioning and I need superuser permission to remove the app, which is now listed as a system app, but I cannot do this without root access. Someone help please. I think I need to remove this before I can expect to attempt to root my phone again successfully. Am I wrong? What can I do now?

OK. I fixed it by finding a different download for superuser,zip file. all is working fine now. sorry to trouble anyone...and I believe I posted this request incorrectly too...I apologize for this too.

Last edited:

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
CWM either did not install properly or simply won't boot. I got the PASS!! message in Step 9, but it never rebooted into CWM from there, nor could I make it happen manually.

I did have the OTA to 4.1 before I tried to root, if that makes a difference.

Yes with the 4.1.1 update CWM get replaced with Stock Recovery on Reboot. Fix as follows.

There are 2 files that need to be renamed using the file explorer of your choice.
install-recovery.sh located in the /system/etc folder
recovery-from-boot.p located in the /system folder

I just add a .bak to the file name. Once this is done install CWM again and it will be OK. Also of note it will trip the counter built into the phone every time CWM is used. Download Triangle Away from the market to reset the counter when needed.

ilyabyk83

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi. I'm a newbie to this... But I was told by at least 10 people that I should get my Samsung Galaxy S III by T-Mobile rooted... How would I do it SAFE on T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S III?? Thanx people!!

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi. I'm a newbie to this... But I was told by at least 10 people that I should get my Samsung Galaxy S III by T-Mobile rooted... How would I do it SAFE on T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S III?? Thanx people!!

This method actually works perfectly EXCEPT...

pobs123 said:
The things that I missed, when I could not get it to boot into CWM were these:

1. Make sure you uncheck the "Auto Reboot" -- you don't want it to reboot automatically after writing CWM with ODIN.
2. After you get the "PASS" in ODIN -- remove the battery (without hitting any power buttons).

Then when it powers up (after replacing the battery), you should be able to boot into CWM Recovery Mode

Make sure you add these details into the correct spot in the process.

Here is the thread that I took that quote from (it's also a very useful thread, anyways):

http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-...ll-same-after-latest-t-mobile-ota-update.html

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting a T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 later this week. I would like to install CWM and root. (I have experience doing this stuff on my LG Optimus V and Samsung Galaxy Exhibit 4G).

I'm assuming the S3 has Ice Cream Sandwich out of the box, and then updates to Jelly Bean after you get the phone? Should I do the recovery and root before or after the Jelly Bean update? Logic says to do it after the update, but I just wanted to make sure the same rooting and recovery installation method actually works under Jelly Bean. Thanks.

rcboats1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
You are correct sir. It was the stock recovery. I had to restart with CWM-SuperSU-v0.87.zip already on the phone so the first boot can be in to CWM.
Thanks to all for the info/help.

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
What happens when you try? With the phone off hold the Volume Up, Home button and Power button all at the same time till you see the Blue writing on screen then let go.

lark ebreo

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't have install from internal sdcard option in my ClockworkMod Recovery. All I have is the external sdcard option. But I'm not using external memory in my phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance