Stay with T-Mo or Bail?

trap49

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
This may not be the right forum, but here goes...

I'm currently with T-Mo, contract runs out in Nov. I'd love to have a SGS3, do I have to wait until November? Is there any provision to buy a new phone and start a new 2-yr contract?

What about going to ATT or Verizon, would I have to pay a significant penalty on T-Mo? How about threatening to bail on T-Mo for one of the others, will that induce T-Mo to make me a special offer to stay?

And finally, what about purchasing an unlocked SGS3? Is there a T-Mo plan that would make this worthwhile, say $40/mo? I don't need many minutes, but I use text and about 150-200MB of data per month.

Thanks to any and all responders.

Don T

ybcthanerd

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
well to get tha SGS III u have oo have tha 5GB data plan, but honestly i would wait and go to verizon, better service and better price t-mo sells tha S III for 330 verizon sells it for 200

303kush

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Stay..t mobile will be cheaper for u within the two year contract, you'll pay way less than at&t or Verizon. I payed 377.74 for my gs3 with a upgrade..I came from the one s

trap49

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. Did you switch from the One S after only a couple of months? Did they give you the $377 price even though your contract was not up? What plan did you get?
Thanks!
Don T

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
No brainer to me, go with T-Mo. They have 3 billion in the bank from ATT, unlimited roaming agreement on the ATT network, and a stash of spectrum they have plans to deploy a pretty nice LTE network on. Combine that with the lower cost of plans and ... the answer is obvious to me.

Your coverage impacts your decision, the above is assuming equal coverage.

303kush

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. Did you switch from the One S after only a couple of months? Did they give you the $377 price even though your contract was not up? What plan did you get?
Thanks!
Don T

I used my upgrade cause some how I still had It after I got my one s lol.

Sicily1918

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
This may not be the right forum, but here goes...

I'm currently with T-Mo, contract runs out in Nov. I'd love to have a SGS3, do I have to wait until November? Is there any provision to buy a new phone and start a new 2-yr contract?
If your contract runs out in Nov, then you can upgrade in Sept. (T-mo allows full upgrades 22 months into a 2-year contract), but try going down to one of their stores and asking for an extension now -- they usually give it to you being so close to your 22month.
ybcthanerd said:
well to get tha SGS III u have oo have tha 5GB data plan, but honestly i would wait and go to verizon, better service and better price t-mo sells tha S III for 330 verizon sells it for 200

I wouldn't say that... regardless of initial price, no other carrier can even come close to T-Mo's service prices. Even if you pay less at Verizon or AT&T (let's say $200 less) for the phone, consider that you can get unlimited talk, unlimited texting, and unlimited data (2GB high speed, throttled but free thereafter) for $80/month, it's a no-brainer (add $15 for a 5GB/month data plan). I just looked it up -- both AT&T's and Verizon's unlimited everything (3GB Data for AT&T, 2GB for Verizon) run $120/mo each (or $40 x 24 months = $960 more for the life of the contract for identical service). If you need 5GB on Verizon's contract then it's more than even AT&T by $10, I think.

Plus, T-Mo offers free wifi calling and free visual voicemail... man, I'm never leaving T-Mo.

trap49

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I do like the wi-fi calling, and I'm currently on the $80/mo plan. I'll see if I can upgrade now, I don't want to wait until Nov.

Thanks!

juststart

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Yea I'm trying to decide if I should switch from AT&T to T-Mobile. I wa s also trying to figure out the price difference between the value plan and the classic plan. Its a bit confusing when you factor in the price of the phone.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

lmc05

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I do like the wi-fi calling, and I'm currently on the $80/mo plan. I'll see if I can upgrade now, I don't want to wait until Nov.

Thanks!

Customer care/retentions will be your best bet to try and get your upgrade pushed forward, as they have more leeway with discounts and special offers. Good luck!

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
If your gonna be in a 2 year contract then I would go with ATT. Great CS and the coverage and data speeds on HSPA+/LTE are awesome!

The Shag

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Another money-saving tip I'd like to throw out there for you is to try Google Voice. Texting is done through the app and you get to pick your own number. That way you can get a plan with 0 texts (Usually save $5-$10/month), and you can get a number like mine: XXX-XXX-SHAG.

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Another money-saving tip I'd like to throw out there for you is to try Google Voice. Texting is done through the app and you get to pick your own number. That way you can get a plan with 0 texts (Usually save $5-$10/month), and you can get a number like mine: XXX-XXX-SHAG.

Be aware that if your friends are on Sprint and have the Everything Data plan with say 450 anytime minutes, that Google Voice is a *landline* classified phone number. So if your friends used to call your phone as a mobile number and didn't pay for it in minutes, once they start dialing your GV number instead, they will start eating their anytime minutes, even though they're still calling your cell.

vinny jr

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a phone on both Carriers. T-Mobile is far and away the best Carrier in the USA. If you get good data speeds with T-Mobile stay. Do NOT get tempted by Verizon. You will eat up your data allowance so fast on Verizon LTE plans it isnt funny. I bought the SGS3 Pebble Blue with 32 GB of int storage from T-Mobile, I have the 5 GB of data before they throttle you but you will still have data and I have unlimited phone and text for 69 bucks. I get sick data speeds from T-Mobile on their HSPA+. During the day I get on average 15 MB Down and 3MB Up. What is so great about the HSPA+ is battery, your battery doesn't use nearly as much on HSPA+ as on the battery sucking LTE. Seriously I could have bought the SGS3 on either Carrier, I picked T-Mobile. Always been a big T-Mobile supporter.
I still have my Verizon account and have the HTC Rezound with the unlimited Data plan.. I jumped on that plan 4 days before they stopped giving it out.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
There's another discussion going on about getting the GS3 vs. the GNex available at G Play for $350 unlocked. I've been with ATT for years and was not aware TMo offers some good value plans such as a 500/unltd text/2 gig plan for $50/mo with a 2 year contract. However, the GNex is not an LTE phone and when I look at TMo's coverage here in the Bay area most of the coverage is either 'satisfactory' or 'Good'. The 'excellent' areas seem small in comparison.

Are you guys saying that TMo uses ATT cell towers? Many in this other discussion seem to feel the GNex is a better idea than the GS3 since its vanilla Android and Jelly Bean is already available. The Project Butter improves the speed of the GNex dramatically and then there's the new Google search that kicks the sh*t out of Siri. Am curious if there are any HAPPY TMo subscribers here in the Bay area.. Thanks.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Originally Posted by trap49<br />
This may not be the right forum, but here goes...<br />
<br />
If your contract runs out in Nov, then you can upgrade in Sept. (T-mo allows full upgrades 22 months into a 2-year contract), but try going down to one of their stores and asking for an extension now -- they usually give it to you being so close to your 22month.
<b>Originally Posted by ybcthanerd</b><br />
<br />
<br />
I wouldn't say that... regardless of initial price, no other carrier can even come <i>close </i>to T-Mo's service prices. Even if you pay less at Verizon or AT&T (let's say $200 less) for the phone, consider that you can get unlimited talk, unlimited texting, and unlimited data (2GB high speed, throttled but free thereafter) for $80/month, it's a no-brainer (add $15 for a 5GB/month data plan). I just looked it up -- both AT&T's and Verizon's unlimited everything (3GB Data for AT&T, 2GB for Verizon) run $120/mo each (or $40 x 24 months = $960 more for the life of the contract for <i>identical</i> service). If you need 5GB on Verizon's contract then it's more than even AT&T by $10, I think.<br />
<br />
Plus, T-Mo offers free wifi calling and free visual voicemail... man, I'm never leaving T-Mo.

I'm on sprint and I have good coverage and cheap price on my plan unlimited data text and mobile to any mobile for just 90 95 bucks I'm never leaving sprint :D

Sent from my Nexus S 4g using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz