WiFi issues

jaymzb0nd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
My WiFi is much weaker than on past phones. Also when im on a call and leave my house (and the WiFi) the call drops completely rather than switch to the mobile network. Is the latter something that can be changed? Haven't seen a setting for it

garywi

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
I noticed the weaker WiFi too. My HTC was great. When I use the 3s in same location in house I get message, your call may drop due to weak signal. I don't know if this is something I can live with.

jaymzb0nd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm assuming/hoping this is something they'll fix with an update because I've seen a lot of people complaining about the same thing.

Colorado

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm seeing the same thing. What is odd that it is patchy. Next to my wireless router, signal strength is great. Twenty feet away, it is poor. Thirty feet away it is good again.

Mac33

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
That's weird. Mine seems to be better. Type in *#0011# from the dialer. Menu key, go to WiFi. Turn power save mode off. See if that helps.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Colorado

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Power save mode being on of off doesn't seem to have any effect.

It is just odd. It doesn't drop calls. It just has a 2 out of 4 bar strength on the wifi meter standing 10 feet from the router. When making wifi calls it constantly warns the call is about to drop--but the call never drops.

Last edited:

danbutter

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I have also had this problem.
Had better wifi with the optimus V I just came from and that is simply pathetic.

I hope there is an update to fix this soon.

The_Finja

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed this too. I have a playbook and 2 iphone and the Wifi signal is definitely the worst with the s3. Does anyone think this can be fixed in an update or is this likely a hardware issue? Not a deal breaker by any stretch, but most certainly annoying as I already have 3 routers in my house to get better coverage and it would suck to have to put in a fourth...

jaymzb0nd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
This actually could be a deal breaker for me if an update won't fix it. I've always enjoyed great service with all of my previous phones in my house but barely have any with the S3. Coupled with the lack of Wifi...

intoaction66

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I noticed on the box for my galaxy s 3 it said that it will not transition from WiFi to your mobile data connection. Forget how exactly it was worded though. Thought that was strange that that was right on the box.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

dfb8085

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed weak wifi reception almost from the start. I just returned home here in Atlanta today from Vegas and the whole time I was there I had to stay on the 4G connection because wifi would not stay connected. Got mostly 1 bar about everywhere I was and never over 2 bars. Not enough to maintain a connection long enough to use it. Anybody got any word on this issue and of any fix in the works?

Mac33

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed weak wifi reception almost from the start. I just returned home here in Atlanta today from Vegas and the whole time I was there I had to stay on the 4G connection because wifi would not stay connected. Got mostly 1 bar about everywhere I was and never over 2 bars. Not enough to maintain a connection long enough to use it. Anybody got any word on this issue and of any fix in the works?

Try my suggestion from my previous post. It helps me.

dfb8085

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Try my suggestion from my previous post. It helps me.

I'll try to set it to off. I'm at home now so no problem but will have to way and see if it makes any difference when I'm out and about. will report back. wonder how much of an effect this will have on battery life? What exactly does the power save mode for wifi do to save power