What does everyone like or maybe not like somuch about their gs3?

intoaction66

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I love the size of the keyboard, even though it's only 3/10th of an inch bigger than my last phone, typing in portrait is so much better it seems. I used to never use the portrait keyboard on my phones but this one I'm really liking. I think its just the right size keyboard for me. The one issue I have with it sometimes though, only with typing certain words, is the stock auto correct functionality. For some words I use a lot it doesn't recognize them or something, even though they're in the added words section, so it can sometimes be a pain having to go back several times just to get a word spelled correctly. What do you guys think are some good 3rd party keyboard apps to try?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

gordonzhao

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: What does everyone like or maybe not like somuch about their

The cootek touchpal keyboard is really nice, especially the swipe up and downtown functions for uppercase and symbols, respectively. And tap and swipe backspace to delete entire words.

danfinger

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site

not crazy about the fact that I can't use NFC with my screen locked. I have a boombotix that I listen to when I commute on my bike- I programmed a tag to advance the track in case a song comes up that I don't feel like listening to. I was hoping I'd be able to do this without having to stop, open the pocket on my back pack and getting the phone out. I just wanted to attach the tag to my keys and tap the pocket on my bag. It works if the screen is not locked but doesn't when it is.
The work around I've come up with so far is to program tasker to advance the song whenever it detects the boombotix making the BT link. So now I have to turn the speaker off, then back on in order to advance the track. Not the best solution.

Hoping to find a ROM that won't disable NFC when the screen is locked. Slightly insecure but considering I use the speaker pretty much every day I'd say it's worth it.

gordonzhao

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

not crazy about the fact that I can't use NFC with my screen locked. I have a boombotix that I listen to when I commute on my bike- I programmed a tag to advance the track in case a song comes up that I don't feel like listening to. I was hoping I'd be able to do this without having to stop, open the pocket on my back pack and getting the phone out. I just wanted to attach the tag to my keys and tap the pocket on my bag. It works if the screen is not locked but doesn't when it is.
The work around I've come up with so far is to program tasker to advance the song whenever it detects the boombotix making the BT link. So now I have to turn the speaker off, then back on in order to advance the track. Not the best solution.

Hoping to find a ROM that won't disable NFC when the screen is locked. Slightly insecure but considering I use the speaker pretty much every day I'd say it's worth it.

Now don't quote me, I'm not too familiar, but there are security issues of leaving nfc on. And then the issue of battery drain of having them constantly on. You can always try a Jawbone Jambox or Big Jambox. They have built in options to skip. songs. Have you tried holding the volume up button for a certain amount of time to skip a song? I know a lot of phones do that..

danfinger

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site

Jawbone Jambox or Big Jambox. They have built in options to skip. songs. Have you tried holding the volume up button for a certain amount of time to skip a song? I know a lot of phones do that..

yea, tried the volume thing. no go.

I already spent $60 on the boombotix and honestly I'm liking the form factor over the jawbone speakers. boombotix is smaller than the jambox, fits on my shoulder strap better.

As far as the security of an open NFC is concerned- I'm not really worried about it. The tags need to be practically touching the phone and I don't really think many hackers would be working on NFC hacks for a super limited group of specialty ROM flashers. Last I heard it was something like 10% of people on android flashed ROMS? If you figure half (generous assumption) of those would want to have NFC running all the time that would not account for many 'targets'.

This ROM looks promising. FreeGS3

It mentions the NFC hack which was posted here. There are a few replies and one specifically states he noticed no impact to battery life. Which kind of makes sense since the NFC radio is already pretty weak in comparison to wifi, BT and cell radios.

I'll do a bit more reading and let y'all know if I flash it and how it goes.

gordonzhao

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
yea, tried the volume thing. no go.

I already spent $60 on the boombotix and honestly I'm liking the form factor over the jawbone speakers. boombotix is smaller than the jambox, fits on my shoulder strap better.

As far as the security of an open NFC is concerned- I'm not really worried about it. The tags need to be practically touching the phone and I don't really think many hackers would be working on NFC hacks for a super limited group of specialty ROM flashers. Last I heard it was something like 10% of people on android flashed ROMS? If you figure half (generous assumption) of those would want to have NFC running all the time that would not account for many 'targets'.

This ROM looks promising. FreeGS3

It mentions the NFC hack which was posted here. There are a few replies and one specifically states he noticed no impact to battery life. Which kind of makes sense since the NFC radio is already pretty weak in comparison to wifi, BT and cell radios.

I'll do a bit more reading and let y'all know if I flash it and how it goes.

Great. But the small jambox is small enough to fit on a shoulder strap. But pricey so I understand. Let me know how it goes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PTLorenz

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Holy moley!
Three days with this thing and you all better be nice to me because my lifelong goal of absolute world domination will soon be reality.

Rooted SGH-T999

Horr1bleK1tten

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Battery life I had the one s for a short time and it would last at least 16 hours this phone struggles to get past 7 hours with minimal settings and lastly cell standby I've owned several phones and then this one just eats battery with cell standby at least 14% then up from there.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

danfinger

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site

Battery life I had the one s for a short time and it would last at least 16 hours this phone struggles to get past 7 hours with minimal settings and lastly cell standby I've owned several phones and then this one just eats battery with cell standby at least 14% then up from there.

Sorry to hear you're getting crappy battery life.Everything I've read regarding cell standby indicates the percentage reported is not accurate and shouldn't be counted on.

I'm getting amazing battery life- as long as all the extra radios are turned off. I unplugged last night before going to bed around 11pm. At 8am this morning I had 98%. Power save is active, all the radios turned off (except cell) screen locked.

It's possible you got a crap battery ... I'd call and see if you can get a replacement. Keep complaining- they'll do something about it if they see you calling all the time.

danfinger

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site

All I have is wifi on and that only at home half the time it's dying

I left mine on with wifi all night last night just to see- this is what I've got this morning
2012-08-01-09-15-30.png

I think you've got yourself a bum battery!

intoaction66

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I left mine on with wifi all night last night just to see- this is what I've got this morning
Click to view quoted image

I think you've got yourself a bum battery!

I agree, think they have a defective battery or something, because I get really good battery life with moderate to heavy usage. Usually if I'm using my phone a lot, a lot of web, gaming throughout the day, I'll get like 12 to 14 hours. Though I've been using chrome recently and noticed its been draining my battery alottt.

Horr1bleK1tten

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I agree, think they have a defective battery or something, because I get really good battery life with moderate to heavy usage. Usually if I'm using my phone a lot, a lot of web, gaming throughout the day, I'll get like 12 to 14 hours. Though I've been using chrome recently and noticed its been draining my battery alottt.

This is what I get is there something wrong with my battery this is moderate use with brightness at 50

Shadowtc

May 17, 2012
Visit site
And Idk if this helps but here it is someone help my battery life is ugly

Try useing the power saving on the phone. Turn of gps and bluetooth when not in use. Use the auto bright for the screen. And try useing a darker color background, amold screens use less when they are showing dark colors

Sent from my Galaxy SIII on Ultimatum Rom and OC using Red Xparent Tapatalk 2

Horr1bleK1tten

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Try useing the power saving on the phone. Turn of gps and bluetooth when not in use. Use the auto bright for the screen. And try useing a darker color background, amold screens use less when they are showing dark colors

Sent from my Galaxy SIII on Ultimatum Rom and OC using Red Xparent Tapatalk 2

I tried power saving mode and then the helps a little. I don't use gps or blue tooth so they're always off brightness at 50 I thought auto brightness uses more battery cause it uses sensors n stuff

Shadowtc

May 17, 2012
Visit site
And this is my wallpaper no widgets other then the flashlight or other pages

Make sure you dont have alot of background proccess and close the app in the task manager. Also do you have a screen shoot of one were it just discharging and you didnt connect it to the power?

Sent from my Super Screen Galaxy Note:p using Red Xparent Tapatalk 2

enderschosen

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

I like the menu button, I don't like how I can't copy chats from google talk. I don't know if that's a phone feature or an app feature, but I think it's lame.

danfinger

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site

I don't like how the 4G toggle works. I wish it was in the notification toggle area like bluetooth and wifi etc.
Going to data settings and flipping the on/off (& confirm) is too many steps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance